GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-02-2024, 10:20 PM   #1
c13v31and
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Can a 2015 f80 be tuned to sound like a Competition package?

Was wondering if it would be possible to tune (using BM3 or something similar) a 2015 f80 into sounding like a ZCP without any additional hardware modifications?

I don’t have any interest in increasing power/performance beyond stock, so it really is just a matter of improving the sound quality a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 10:22 PM   #2
jwagman1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan YMB

comp has a diff muffler, maybe that's what you are lookin for
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 04:38 PM   #3
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I haven't tried the competition map on BM3 as I skipped straight to the CS map, but there absolutely is a difference in exhaust tone when I switched away from the stock map onto CS and use competition spec burbles. You should be able to do a comp map with comp burbles and should be able to get closer towards how a comp should sound. I would check and compare for you, but I have since put on equal length midpipes after setting maps so it's gonna be different regardless
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 11:00 PM   #4
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

probably, unless the pre lci non comp and the lci comp has different motor?
But if you end up doing tune, just go for cs tune, since its minimal gains from stock. But speak with an actual tuner to confirm, don't just buy bm3 ots tune. Jordan from Rktunes knows a lot about f80s and he should be able to answer that question.
      04-05-2024, 10:59 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

In my opinion, the closest you would be to that tone is the valvetronic titanium exhaust. Valvetronic has a similar tone but louder than the competition

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:40 PM   #6
c13v31and
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmohan5072 View Post
I haven't tried the competition map on BM3 as I skipped straight to the CS map, but there absolutely is a difference in exhaust tone when I switched away from the stock map onto CS and use competition spec burbles. You should be able to do a comp map with comp burbles and should be able to get closer towards how a comp should sound. I would check and compare for you, but I have since put on equal length midpipes after setting maps so it's gonna be different regardless
Thanks ya this is basically what I was hoping to hear. I’m considering a midpipe later on down the road, but liked the idea of improving sound with just a quick/resettable tune.

Does the CS tune have the potential to negatively impact the car at all? Just asking since I’ve heard an aggressive burble tune could harm stock down pipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 06:29 PM   #7
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c13v31and View Post
Thanks ya this is basically what I was hoping to hear. I’m considering a midpipe later on down the road, but liked the idea of improving sound with just a quick/resettable tune.

Does the CS tune have the potential to negatively impact the car at all? Just asking since I’ve heard an aggressive burble tune could harm stock down pipes.
For BM3 the maps and burble settings are different. You can have a competition/CS/CS+ (CS map but with more top end pull)/ GTS map. This is where I noticed a change in pitch. Any of these maps should not have any widespread negative issues, and imo shouldn't bring additional reliability concerns

You can have any of the maps set to have no burbles, or competition/gts burbles and none of those should be particularly aggressive that would damage cats compared to the custom BM3 burbles people can set. Can either just turn it off or put any of the OEM burble calibrations (I go for ZCP burbles for a mild off-throttle rumble without being obnoxious).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 06:51 PM   #8
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For BM3 the maps and burble settings are different. You can have a competition/CS/CS+ (CS map but with more top end pull)/ GTS map. This is where I noticed a change in pitch. Any of these maps should not have any widespread negative issues, and imo shouldn't bring additional reliability concerns

You can have any of the maps set to have no burbles, or competition/gts burbles and none of those should be particularly aggressive that would damage cats compared to the custom BM3 burbles people can set. Can either just turn it off or put any of the OEM burble calibrations (I go for ZCP burbles for a mild off-throttle rumble without being obnoxious).
Took some time to experiment, and switched between the stock and zcp maps and checked, the difference is not THAT much closer to the ZCP, to get all the way the sport exhaust with the additional perforations in the y pipe will get you the slightly cleaner sound, just not cost effective to swap at all. BM3 is a slight improvement though, and if you were already looking into tuning the other OEM maps onto the car it's a worthwhile and good bonus, but not worth the 500 dollars for JUST the sound improvements. But if you're looking for sound only, definitely look at midpipes to improve the pitch
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:07 PM   #9
c13v31and
Rep

Quote:
Took some time to experiment, and switched between the stock and zcp maps and checked, the difference is not THAT much closer to the ZCP, to get all the way the sport exhaust with the additional perforations in the y pipe will get you the slightly cleaner sound, just not cost effective to swap at all. BM3 is a slight improvement though, and if you were already looking into tuning the other OEM maps onto the car it's a worthwhile and good bonus, but not worth the 500 dollars for JUST the sound improvements. But if you're looking for sound only, definitely look at midpipes to improve the pitch
Gotcha thanks for all the info! May end up with an EL midpipe before too long then haha
Appreciate 0