Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

So after 3 years of winter driving on Nokians R2s, tread was getting low, so this winter I'll need new winter tires. The Nokians were great in the snow. Never had an issue getting around and I drive 40 miles a day in all weather. That being said they were only fair in dry weather which is most of the time during the winter (I'm in NY suburbs). I wanted to try something a little bit better in the dry but not give up too much in the winter. The Nokians were also pretty expensive and most tire shops don't carry them. Has anyone used Sottozeros? And if so, I see there is a series 2 as well as a 3. Not sure which would be better. They are both around the same price. Any advice is welcome.

Edit: I use the stock 19s for reference.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I DD my F80 through the Chicago winters - I use the Continental WinterContact TS830 P (runflat version). I think this tire performs great in the dry due to its pretty stiff sidewall - and its very good in the snow, slush and ice (while it is not going to have the same capability in the snow/ice/slush as a studless snow/ice tire - what you get in exchange for that sacrifice is much improved handling and performance on cold, dry streets.

Bottom line - if you're looking for better dry performance in the winter - seriously consider these tires (particularly the runflat version).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

My Winter Setup:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1176260

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...t=winter+tires
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Thanks all. I've heard good things about the Contis but I don't see them pop up on TR. the 860 version supposedly is a great tire but only available in Europe.

I keep going back and forth to the PA4, Sotto3, and now looking at the Nokian R3. Sottos are the least expensive and I'm guessing the R3s are the most. I had R2 and they were solid in bad weather but I'm worried that the R3 didn't improve much on dry performance.

I'm leaving PA4 at this point. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0