EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #133
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMan View Post
Yes, they are reconditioned. No expense spared.
So much so that they won't CPO them or let you buy a BMW extended warranty on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
They prolly don't offer it as "CPO",...but one prolly could still purchase some sort of warrant package during the sale.
It would have to be a third party one and those can be a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #134
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Exactly. As I posted in the initial post of this thread, the white one was purchased at auction for 66K. Assuming the sticker was around 86, I personally think United paid too much at 66K, but this is their business and I'm sure they will find a sucker that will pay 68k or more for it not realizing it was a M School car.
That does seem high. The ones at my dealer were listed at 58-62k IIRC. Better, but still not close enough for me to take second look at them.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #135
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Regardless... I'd never buy any used M car.
Not everyone is Mr Moneybags like you
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #136
lcfking80
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

One easy way to spot M-School cars is by opening the driver's side door and taking a close look at the lower-door-compartment (picture attached).

During M-School, the instructors usually clip a walkie-talkie to the lip of that compartment to be able to communicate with the students. This wears down and scratches the plastic in a way that is not easily concealable.

Take a close look, run your fingers down the edge of the compartment looking for heavy scratches and scuffs. If you find multiple ones, the car is most probably an M-School car.

Cheers
Attached Images

2014 Audi S4 (Wifey's Car, going away soon)

Last edited by lcfking80; 07-20-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
Thescout134947.00
willyp158.50
      07-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #137
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_ymb View Post
i work at bmw dealer and thats what they tell you at product genius training
How long is the training and what is your opinion of it? I'm glad to hear that there is a product genius out there who is on the forums. This tells me that you are at least an enthusiast. I'm no BMW expert or "genius," but I've never been to a dealership where I didn't have to explain stuff to the genius they assign me. I feel like they just teach them how to operate the idrive and that's it...they don't know cars let alone BMWs

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      07-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #138
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I'm shopping for a low-mileage Macan Turbo and I'm trying to decide if I'd buy any used car with carbon brakes. The replacement costs are scary! My understanding is the rotors need to be taken off and weighed to measure remaining life... I doubt that information is going to be provided. The CCB alone would scare me from one of these unless the discount was heavy.
You don't need CCBs. Biggest bullshit mod ever unless you are tracking more than you daily.
This comment isn't relevant. These M cars have carbon brakes, like some of the used Macan Turbos I've looked at. I'm not sure I'd buy a car with carbon brakes due to replacement costs. This isn't about need.
      07-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #139
UGA Jim
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4
These cars were driven as they were designed to be driven under the supervision of BMW instructors and were meticulously maintained by BMW. I would have less problem buying one of these than one that was owned by a private individual that I didn't know.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #140
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

I live a couple hours from the school in greenville and have been 3 or 4 times. I don't know that I have ever driven my car that hard and I drive the shit out of my cars. One time when I was there I saw someone crack a rim in half on the skid pad. I have done countless donuts in my car but I don't do them ever 10 miles. There they do. I also overheated a M5 a couple times while at the M school. (It was July, an early M5 and we were tracking it obviously...) I have yet to drive my car so hard it overheated. And again I drive the shit out of my car. I also warped a set of brakes in a m3 there. Now most of those Im sure are fixed before the sale but I would definitely not buy one of these cars. Just my opinion.

My local dealership picked up a E60 m5 a couple years ago and it was from there, they told me and were very upfront about it. No way in hell though I would buy one of those cars. I don't think they should be scrapped just sold as is. Just do your self a favor and go do the school before you buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #141
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
It's highly unlikely they "crush" the M School cars after being used for 5-7k. In fact, if you read on this forum about M School experiences, the instructors explicitly said they put new wheels and tires on the cars and then sell them at dealer auctions, as I have proven in the first post of this thread I posted. It would make absolutely no economic sense to "crush" these vehicles after M School use. BMW is a business after all.
Agreed, btw they do more then just put new tires on them, these cars go through a ton of maintenance before they go back out. In fact except for the hard driving these cars are maintained better then any 5-7k M car that most regular owners own.

I was at the two days school and was talking to the instructors on how much they maintain these cars since they drive them so hard.

To each their own, but i would take this car over a used 5000 rental car any day.
      07-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #142
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm shopping for a low-mileage Macan Turbo and I'm trying to decide if I'd buy any used car with carbon brakes. The replacement costs are scary! My understanding is the rotors need to be taken off and weighed to measure remaining life... I doubt that information is going to be provided. The CCB alone would scare me from one of these unless the discount was heavy.
You don't need CCBs. Biggest bullshit mod ever unless you are tracking more than you daily.
This comment isn't relevant. These M cars have carbon brakes, like some of the used Macan Turbos I've looked at. I'm not sure I'd buy a car with carbon brakes due to replacement costs. This isn't about need.
Your comment makes no sense, there was plenty of relevance (to the quoted posters comment) in my response.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #143
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your comment makes no sense, there was plenty of relevance (to the quoted posters comment) in my response.
It appears as though you don't realize you were replying to my post?

Let's make this super simplified for everyone... Does the fact these particular M training cars have carbon brakes with their super-high replacement cost make them less attractive than if they had steel rotors?
      07-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #144
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
These cars were driven as they were designed to be driven under the supervision of BMW instructors and were meticulously maintained by BMW. I would have less problem buying one of these than one that was owned by a private individual that I didn't know.
Do these cars get the proper break in period required? Or did they roll them right out onto the track?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #145
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It appears as though you don't realize you were replying to my post?

Let's make this super simplified for everyone... Does the fact these particular M training cars have carbon brakes with their super-high replacement cost make them less attractive than if they had steel rotors?
Shit my fault....disregard! Lol
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #146
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Folks, I cannot find a single used 2016 competition package M3 for sale right now that was not a previous M School car. Literally, every single listed 2016 ZCP is a previous M School car. This BMW dealer in Chicago even has the gall to list and price this car as new!!! Prospective buyers, please be careful out there and research thoroughly before pulling the trigger. Vote with you wallet and don't let these dealers' unethical behavior deceive and take advantage of us!
Attached Images

Last edited by noone; 07-21-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
      07-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #147
andrés
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post

These are well maintained yes but abused... Think a constantly beaten Rottweiler that was just groomed and put through a day or two of obedience school.
loved the analogy, i have a Rottie, a beaten one would be a great challenge.. on both things the car or the dog.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #148
willyp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5C, M3CS, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFargo13 View Post
Do these cars get the proper break in period required? Or did they roll them right out onto the track?
They get the proper break in. I remember the instructors mentioned that during the break in they take them to and from home to help rack up the miles. Probably more than could be said for my car. Haha.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #149
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 Black Saphire

All BMW Demo vehicles are registered in Woodcliff Lakes, not specifically track M cars, so this is not red flag
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #150
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
They get the proper break in. I remember the instructors mentioned that during the break in they take them to and from home to help rack up the miles. Probably more than could be said for my car. Haha.
And I have some beach property in Phoenix to sell you as well!
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #151
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva_BMW View Post
All BMW Demo vehicles are registered in Woodcliff Lakes, not specifically track M cars, so this is not red flag
Yes it is. I called them and asked them point blank if it was an M School car and they confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #152
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek
Quote:
It's highly unlikely they "crush" the M School cars after being used for 5-7k. In fact, if you read on this forum about M School experiences, the instructors explicitly said they put new wheels and tires on the cars and then sell them at dealer auctions, as I have proven in the first post of this thread I posted. It would make absolutely no economic sense to "crush" these vehicles after M School use. BMW is a business after all.
Agreed, btw they do more then just put new tires on them, these cars go through a ton of maintenance before they go back out. In fact except for the hard driving these cars are maintained better then any 5-7k M car that most regular owners own.

I was at the two days school and was talking to the instructors on how much they maintain these cars since they drive them so hard.

To each their own, but i would take this car over a used 5000 rental car any day.
Do they recondition the chassis, bushings and control arms and other suspension components? Inspect rear subframe?

I'm thinking they do not.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      07-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #153
Sheva_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 Black Saphire

Quote:
Yes it is. I called them and asked them point blank if it was an M School car and they confirmed.
In this case it was, but it is absolutely not necessary. Because for example 5 series Demo or Loaner will be also registered there, but it is not track car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #154
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
As long as there is full disclosure when asked I see no problem. I do cringe at the thought a shady person could buy these just to flip and not disclose its origin to an unsuspecting buyer.