Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Remus Axleback with Remus or AA midpipe

looks like im going to pull the trigger soon. on this combo or the akra evo. obvs the akra evo is a lot more expensive...i know its better so lets not discuss that lol.

So def going with going remus axleback.

now aa vs remus non-res midpipe.

I dont have ZCP but want as many pops and burbles as I can get(not flash tuning). aa or remus midpipe?

I know AA might be less raspy, but what is rasp. i tried listening to it on youtube (obvs a shitty source) but cant really grasp it in my head.

hows the remus on rasp?

Also thoughts on volume and diffculty of install. Thanks for all you help
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

The midpipe you go with should be dictated based on what you plan on doing with your downpipes. If you plan on going catless, then you'll need a resonated midpipe, otherwise - get ready for rasp city.

Here's what I mean:

AA will remove nearly all of the rasp, a non-resonated Remus will make it sound like a typical straight 6 BMW engine. This changes if you go for catless downpipes, as a non resonated Remus will be unbearable.. unless you like what you hear in the video above. AA will sound amazing with catless dp, and a tad bit tame with stock downpipes. Resonated Remus will be somewhere in between.

I'm a very big advocate and fan of the AA midpipe. BMW's inline 6 is known to be raspy and is exacerbated by catless dp's. If you plan on staying with stock dp's, then the Remus axle back and Remus non resonated midpipe is the way to go. You'll get an aggressive sound with character, no CEL, and no emissions issues. If you plan on going catless - I can't stress how perfect the AA midpipes are with the Remus axle back, especially given how much I loved my setup. Crazy aggressive sound on the streets but made extremely civil with the valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
looks like im going to pull the trigger soon. on this combo or the akra evo. obvs the akra evo is a lot more expensive...i know its better so lets not discuss that lol.

So def going with going remus axleback.

now aa vs remus non-res midpipe.

I dont have ZCP but want as many pops and burbles as I can get(not flash tuning). aa or remus midpipe?

I know AA might be less raspy, but what is rasp. i tried listening to it on youtube (obvs a shitty source) but cant really grasp it in my head.

hows the remus on rasp?

Also thoughts on volume and diffculty of install. Thanks for all you help
The AA will eliminate the cold start valve rattle of the Remus. Regardless of your plans for downpipes, I would advise spending the coin on the AA midpipe to eliminate that horrible sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

OP, I posted a thread on this last week, I was in the same exact situation for the Remus exhaust.

After a couple vids and suggestion on here, I went with the AA midpipe. I just got it installed last Friday, and am happy with the sound. It's slightly not as loud as I may have liked it to be (my main concern was not to be ultra obnoxious loud), but its definitely louder than stock, and can be heard in the neighborhood with a presence. I have the stock downpipe, and the sound is Clean, Deep, Mean, and very little Rasp.

The tone is awesome. After having said all that, I do wonder if I should have gone with the non-res midpipe, so if you're still looking for something more than what I described, I'd say go with the Remus non-res. .

Do keep in mind that I drive in Efficient mode most of the time, but I left my valves unplugged so that I can always hear the deeper exhaust note. However, you won't hear the high end of that awesome Remus tone on higher revs until you push the gas harder or put it in M or manual mode. Then, its definitely louder. Cold starts with the valves unplugged are loud, and Efficient mode driving/cruising is very comfortable with zero drone.

My local muffler shop installed the whole system in less than 2 hours, cost me $150.

Last edited by ReddsektoR; 11-20-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddsektoR View Post
OP, I posted a thread on this last week, I was in the same exact situation for the Remus exhaust.

After a couple vids and suggestion on here, I went with the AA midpipe. I just got it installed last Friday, and am happy with the sound. It's slightly not as loud as I may have liked it to be (my main concern was not to be ultra obnoxious loud), but its definitely louder than stock, and can be heard in the neighborhood with a presence. I have the stock downpipe, and the sound is Clean, Deep, Mean, and very little Rasp.

The tone is awesome. After having said all that, I do wonder if I should have gone with the non-res midpipe, so if you're still looking for something more than what I described, I'd say go with the Remus non-res. .

Do keep in mind that I drive in Efficient mode most of the time, but I left my valves unplugged so that I can always hear the deeper exhaust note. However, you won't hear the high end of that awesome Remus tone on higher revs until you push the gas harder or put it in M or manual mode. Then, its definitely louder. Cold starts with the valves unplugged are loud, and Efficient mode driving/cruising is very comfortable with zero drone.

My local muffler shop installed the whole system in less than 2 hours, cost me $150.
IDK if you have heard both. but if you had to do it over again. would u stick with the AA remus axle. or got full cat remus. I still dont know what rasp is lol? but will the AA make the sound more deep and growl? what about burbles? lol I hope you can answer a few of these questions thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #6
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

This issue that you're having is the most challenging thing to try to help customers with. Explaining a sound is virtually impossible without actually being able to listen to it.

With that being said, once you get the info you're searching for, i would be happy to put together a quote for you on the setup you choose.

I am doing a Black Friday deal on Remus as well.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #7
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

One of my best friend's lewz4 has this on this car, I see him almost everyday... The Remus with AA is probably one of the best combinations on the market if you're looking for a clean exhaust with low to minimal rasp. If you have stock downpipes, the sound is a little quieter than Remus with Non Res, but it's a little deeper in tone.

When paired to downpipes, it sounds perfect. It's not obnoxious, but brings out all the character. Sounds GREAT. It has low rasp, perfect volume, deep tone.

Clips attached below:

Appreciate 3
BoxKing293.00
TurboAL471030.00
lewz431.50
      11-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
One of my best friend's lewz4 has this on this car, I see him almost everyday... The Remus with AA is probably one of the best combinations on the market if you're looking for a clean exhaust with low to minimal rasp. If you have stock downpipes, the sound is a little quieter than Remus with Non Res, but it's a little deeper in tone.

When paired to downpipes, it sounds perfect. It's not obnoxious, but brings out all the character. Sounds GREAT. It has low rasp, perfect volume, deep tone.

Clips attached below:

What this guy said.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would do AA mid + REMUS axle back ... In my opinion it gives you the perfect balance between clean & aggressive sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

All a matter of preference. Both sound good. I personally went the full Remus route. Here a clip of the Remus non resonated exhaust w/ GTS throttle overrun aka exhaust burbles.

04-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW M4 View Post
All a matter of preference. Both sound good. I personally went the full Remus route. Here a clip of the Remus non resonated exhaust w/ GTS throttle overrun aka exhaust burbles.

Stock DP + Remus catback sounds amazing

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

REMUS Axle back w/ carbon tips

Name:  IMG_2842.JPG
Views: 3392
Size:  160.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #13
save_the_m4nual
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW BMW M4

Quote:

Clips attached below:

Justin,

Would you possibly know which DP is installed on this car?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by save_the_m4nual View Post
Quote:

Clips attached below:

Justin,

Would you possibly know which DP is installed on this car?
He brought in VRSF.

Something to note is brands do not matter since all except AR, Akrapovic, and Eisenmann provide a variation from the norm.

Standard fitment for downpipes is 3" to 2.5"

Akrapovic and Eisenmann are 2.75" diameter

AR is 3" all the way through

Tone is mildly different between the above diameter variation
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

So it sounds to me the resonated Remus axle-back plus non-resonated AA mid-pipe (stock down-pipes) is the way to go for an aggressive sound while maintaining Webex friendly noise levels in efficient mode? I need to ensure this aftermarket setup is also CA smog compliant.

I'm hoping fitment wise the smaller carbon exhaust tips tuck tight to the diffuser with little gap and doesn't stick out further than the diffuser.

tia
      08-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
So it sounds to me the resonated Remus axle-back plus non-resonated AA mid-pipe (stock down-pipes) is the way to go for an aggressive sound while maintaining Webex friendly noise levels in efficient mode? I need to ensure this aftermarket setup is also CA smog compliant.

tia

REMUS Axle back + Active Autowerke midpipe is best combo

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #17
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post

I'm hoping fitment wise the smaller carbon exhaust tips tuck tight to the diffuser with little gap and doesn't stick out further than the diffuser.

tia
Resonators are primarily referred to in the midpipes. So it's a bit confusing to say the "resonated Remus axle back".

If you go for Remus axle back and AA midpipes with stock downpipes, it'll sound deep and throaty. I'd go for Remus non-resonated midpipes with a Remus axle back if you're interested in keeping the stock downpipes. Personally, I had my catless downpipes switched to stock downpipes to do annual inspection while leaving the Remus axle back and AA midpipes on and it was a bit underwhelming. Of course, it was underwhelming because I got used to the roaring sound of catless downpipes, but still - if you have the opportunity to hear it somewhere in person you really should. Another raucous setup that allows you to keep stock downpipes is the Fi exhaust. Justin had it for a bit and it sounded really good.

Full Remus setup either with resonators or not in the midpipes should pass CA smog.. man I feel bad for you guys sometimes. But I'd ask Justin.AutoTalent for confirmation.

Also, my setup which included catless downpipes, sounded near stock with the valves closed. You can have a pretty intense setup and leave the valves closed to pass cops/not wake neighbours up. Remus axle back + AA midpipes + VRSF downpipes in efficient mode sounded like a stock M3 except maybe a dB or 2 higher. Valves open is literally the opposite.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
THEROK1267.50
      06-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #18
WAMx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Don't mean to necro but i'm considering purchasing a VRSF single mid (non-res) to pair with my remus axle and catted downpipes.

Is anyone running this that can confirm rasp levels?

I ask because I had a non-res AA EL paired with my catted DP and the rasp was unbearable i instantly took it off.

I don't want to purchase the single and put it on, then find it's too raspy since it's non res with catted dp so looking for some insight from someone who's ran this combo.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:33 AM   #19
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

FuriousM4 is selling his Remus/ VRSF single midpipe set-up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 07:50 AM   #20
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMx View Post
Don't mean to necro but i'm considering purchasing a VRSF single mid (non-res) to pair with my remus axle and catted downpipes.

I ask because I had a non-res AA EL paired with my catted DP and the rasp was unbearable i instantly took it off.

I don't want to purchase the single and put it on, then find it's too raspy since it's non res with catted dp so looking for some insight from someone who's ran this combo.
as someone who get duped by the hype on fourms. furiousm4 def got the exhaust for free. Hear that shit in person before you committ to the exhaust. I have my suspions. I have heard a shiton of exhaust setups and they all sound the same to me lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 07:51 AM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMx View Post

i run the an AA single mid remus and stock dps. there is zero rasp
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i run the an AA single mid remus and stock dps. there is zero rasp
Ran the same setup , one of the cleanest sounding in my opinion