Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Really not that terrible on pricing for the mcs. Im trying to decide myself between the TC Klines and the MCS 1WNR. With about a dozen track days a year and regular street use.
MCS 1WNR with digressive valving option
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #24
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
MCS 1WNR with digressive valving option
Just sent them an email for a complete quote.

Also looking to see how much height adjustment is available.

I plan on doing about 8-12 AutoX days a year.
      12-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Is it recommended to go with rear true coilover setup?
What's the advantages?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #26
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Just sent them an email for a complete quote.

Also looking to see how much height adjustment is available.

I plan on doing about 8-12 AutoX days a year.
There’s way more useable range than what you should need. The front height adjustment range will be affected by the use of a long main spring only, shorter spring with helper or shorter spring with tender.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Is it recommended to go with rear true coilover setup?
What's the advantages?
The f82 rear damper mounting point on the chassis is capable of supporting the damper and spring loads. Previous M3 generations needed to be stiffened and strengthened with a roll/full cage tied into the rear towers As for a coilover setup, there’s a small but definitely noticeable difference for more experienced drivers. I’d say it’s something you’d do if you were going for that last ~5% or so of on-track performance. For a primarily street driven car it is fine to go with the OEM divorced spring-damper setup but it’s really up to you. Other high-end damper manufactures (Nitron, Tractive, Moton, Ohlins TTX, etc.) that deliver fully assembled suspensions use a coilover setup, for whatever that’s worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
What is the best overall dual purpose coilovers with the least amount of headaches like install issues or noise?
Modest drop with good damping and better than stock. 1 or 2 track days per yr
jrz and ohlins rt have good reviews
For ohlins which springs?
There is a new modified ohlins coilover setup modified by 3DM motorsports that my car was the test dummy for. Its about a grand cheaper than the normal ohlins setup. Works great for me. Ride is totally fine and its killer on track. Shaved about 3 seconds off my time at VIR full. I'm hitting 2:08s all day long (which is pretty damn quick if you know that track) and part of my track setup is pulling my kids car seats out the back. I have no financial interest by the way. https://3dmmotorsport.com/
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #29
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

FYI...youre looking at about $4900 w/ EDC Cancellation for a set of MCS. Just got the quote.
      12-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #30
parabmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigaster View Post
There is a new modified ohlins coilover setup modified by 3DM motorsports that my car was the test dummy for. Its about a grand cheaper than the normal ohlins setup. Works great for me. Ride is totally fine and its killer on track. Shaved about 3 seconds off my time at VIR full. I'm hitting 2:08s all day long (which is pretty damn quick if you know that track) and part of my track setup is pulling my kids car seats out the back. I have no financial interest by the way. https://3dmmotorsport.com/
Are they really a grand cheaper? They appear to be the same price on here..$3200ish
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #31
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are they really a grand cheaper? They appear to be the same price on here..$3200ish
I'm seeing 2300. That 3200 is with all new mounting hardware pre-assembled. Makes it easier to install but not required. You can use the mounting hardware already on your car. That's what I did when they installed mine and that's what you could do if you bought a regular R/T kit unless you have a very high mileage or abused car in which case some of your hardware may be in need of replacing
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #32
parabmw
Major
Rep

Mdm is using the older Verizon mp40.
How were these updated with the mr40 version?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Quote:
Are the rear springs too stiff in this setup for the street??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #34
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
Quote:
Are the rear springs too stiff in this setup for the street??
Nah it's obviously a stiffer ride but it's not harsh. I was worried about ruining my daily driver with this setup but fortunately it's not a problem. I wouldn't want it if I lived in a place with really bad roads but then again if I lived somewhere like that I wouldn't have the car in the first place
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #35
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStr View Post
That would be a big mistake from Ohlins. I can't believe they rushed the design considering the big experience they have.
Yes they don't give a big drop, but function over image is not a bad thing...
Ironic thing is that they didn't rush it - they took their sweet ass time.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #36
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Nah it's obviously a stiffer ride but it's not harsh. I was worried about ruining my daily driver with this setup but fortunately it's not a problem. I wouldn't want it if I lived in a place with really bad roads but then again if I lived somewhere like that I wouldn't have the car in the first place
Looks like an excellent Deal!

They indicate that these "Swift" brand springs they've used are softer than the ones used by Ohlins in the original BMSMP40 Kits.

--> Anyone have any experience with "Swift" springs?

"... We have reduced the spring rates (Swift Brand) a touch to make commuting to work or cruising around town a little more comfortable.
We also took the opportunity to use a shorter spring in the front which allows for a wider wheel fitment."

Ohlins BMSMP40:
• Front: 90 N/mm | 515 lbs/in.
• Rear: 230 N/mm | 1316 lbs/in.

3DM P-1129:
• Front Swift Spring: 80 N/mm | 450 lb/in.
• Rear Swift Spring: 160 N/mm | 913 lbs/in.

OEM - BMW:
• Front: ??
• Rear: ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post

M3 (Civic)
Front - 177 lbs/in
Rear – 591 lbs/in

M3 (Comp. Pkg)
Front – 198 lbs/in
Rear – 685 lbs/in

If this is correct, there is quite a marked difference!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 04-24-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #37
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Looks like an excellent Deal!

They indicate that these "Swift" brand springs they've used are softer than the ones used by Ohlins in the original BMSMP40 Kits.

--> Anyone have any experience with "Swift" springs?

"... We have reduced the spring rates (Swift Brand) a touch to make commuting to work or cruising around town a little more comfortable.
We also took the opportunity to use a shorter spring in the front which allows for a wider wheel fitment."

Ohlins BMSMP40:
• Front: 90 N/mm | 515 lbs/in.
• Rear: 230 N/mm | 1316 lbs/in.

3DM P-1129:
• Front Swift Spring: 80 N/mm | 450 lb/in.
• Rear Swift Spring: 160 N/mm | 913 lbs/in.

OEM - BMW:
• Front: ??
• Rear: ??

If this is correct, there is quite a marked difference!

Swift linear race springs are one of the best on the market. Their spring material allows them to make lighter springs with slightly increased travel compared to other springs of the same length and rate.

BMW tends to rely on the front bump stops to increase spring rate with suspension travel so be careful when comparing OEM front static spring rates to spring rates on aftermarket suspension setups.

I’m running F/R 600/900 lbf/in rates on my MCS 2WR suspension setup. I personally wouldn’t run 450/913 rates on my setup. My balance is good and biased toward slight oversteer at the limit (on track) so I’d be concerned with the balance shifting too far biased toward oversteer.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #38
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Swift linear race springs are one of the best on the market. Their spring material allows them to make lighter springs with slightly increased travel compared to other springs of the same length and rate.

BMW tends to rely on the front bump stops to increase spring rate with suspension travel so be careful when comparing OEM front static spring rates to spring rates on aftermarket suspension setups.

I’m running F/R 600/900 lbf/in rates on my MCS 2WR suspension setup. I personally wouldn’t run 450/913 rates on my setup. My balance is good and biased toward slight oversteer at the limit (on track) so I’d be concerned with the balance shifting too far biased toward oversteer.
Excellent post!

I'm a bit of a noob here...

Could you explain to me how increased (or decreased) Front spring rates affect oversteer &...

How is oversteer related to camber... if at all??

Cheers!

04-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #39
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Excellent post!

I'm a bit of a noob here...

Could you explain to me how increased (or decreased) Front spring rates affect oversteer &...

How is oversteer related to camber... if at all??

Cheers!

Suspension setup and fine tuning is a complex subject. A setup used at one track may not work well at a different track and that’s where spring rates, roll bar stiffness, ride height, damper adjustments, toe, camber, caster, etc. come into play. The link below shows how you’d deal with mid-corner and corner exit oversteer. You’ll quickly see it’s a complex subject.
https://spda-online.ca/images/spda/t.../oversteer.gif
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #40
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

The 3DM Roadsport kit looks intriguing, but those spring rates seem a little too aggressive in rear. Anyone run this kit? Does Öhlins allow you to specify spring rates? What would be good rates for daily driver that may see a handful of track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #41
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am huge fan of the Bilstein B16 (DampTronic) suspension kits.

From value to design and all round handling...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #42
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
The 3DM Roadsport kit looks intriguing, but those spring rates seem a little too aggressive in rear. Anyone run this kit? Does Öhlins allow you to specify spring rates? What would be good rates for daily driver that may see a handful of track days.
I have this setup on my car. It's not fair to look at spring rates and say "oh that seems too stiff" it's not quite that simple. The 3DM package comes as is. I talked to the Ohlins guys who personally came down to help with the install and they came to the conclusion based on shaking a car out that these spring rates would do the best. I daily mine and it's firm but not harsh. It's always a compromise when you modify your street car for performance but I'm happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #43
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
I have this setup on my car. It's not fair to look at spring rates and say "oh that seems too stiff" it's not quite that simple. The 3DM package comes as is. I talked to the Ohlins guys who personally came down to help with the install and they came to the conclusion based on shaking a car out that these spring rates would do the best. I daily mine and it's firm but not harsh. It's always a compromise when you modify your street car for performance but I'm happy with the purchase.
Awesome, thanks! What was the decision in going with the Road Sport kit instead of the standard Road & Track Kit? Is it essentially the same, just a bit more milder of a version?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #44
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
Awesome, thanks! What was the decision in going with the Road Sport kit instead of the standard Road & Track Kit? Is it essentially the same, just a bit more milder of a version?
So this is nuanced. There's technically 2 versions of the Ohlins road and track. Most of what you see on sale is the newer version. The reason they redesigned it was people complained they couldn't get enough ride height adjustment with the older version so Ohlins redesigned it to allow for lower adjustments. That left some old ones sitting around. Barry who runs 3DM consults with Ohlins and helps them develop suspensions here in North America. Working with Ohlins he basically did some modifications on the older kits to allow for further height adjustment. That is what the "sport" kit is and why it is cheaper. There's a finite number of these left so once they are gone that's it. That's also why they are cheaper. It helps clear inventory for Ohlins, achieves the same purpose as the newer kit but at a reduced price. I have no financial interest but that is basically the jist of the situation. I've had several hours of track time on this set up so far and I can vouch for its positive impact on performance. Happy to answer other questions although I'm not a suspension expert by any means. That stuff gets too complicated for me to understand fully
Appreciate 0