Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

10-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I want to give my experience I had with Parkview BMW in Toronto so others can be aware if they are thinking about using them for service or already do use them.

I have a 2016 M3 and I had a differential leak where I took it to them for service just prior to warranty ending. It was determined the rear passenger axle seal was leaking and they corrected it for me as well as a few other items. All went well.

About a month later I notice oil drops under the differential again so back to Parkview I go due to the above recent service. It was determined that the differential cover gasket was leaking and they needed to remove the cover and reseal it with liquid gasket. Again all went well no complaints.

I had no issues with the car until May 2021 when I noticed the rear differential was leaking oil drops on my driveway. I crawled under the car as far as I could (without lifting it up) and noticed it coming from the passenger side right near the axle again. I called Parkview and advised them which they said they can diagnose it for $87.50 and if found to be the same items they fixed it will fall under the 2 year repair warranty at no cost or they will advise the issue and the cost if it's something else.

They found the diff pan had become porous and needed to be replaced for $1400 plus tax. I told them I disagree with this as I have never heard of aluminum becoming porous unless cracked or punctured. I advised to leave the car as is and I will get it fixed elsewhere which came at less than half the cost.

I ended up getting the car repaired at a independent shop who specializes in BMW's and specifically M cars. The issue I have is when I picked up the car they asked me if anyone had done work on the rear end of this car which the answer was yes that Parkview replaced the axle seal and also resealed the cover about a year ago. Note - No other shops have ever done any work on the rear end of this car. The shop pointed out that it appeared either a tool slipped or someone used a tool against the aluminum pan to pry against which is right beside where the axle seal work was done. There was a very small indent in the pan creating a hole where oil very slowly seeped out and eventually started to leave drops on the driveway. Where this is located makes it impossible for road debris to damage it. Attached is photos which show it's not damage from a rock or something off the road.

Parkview advised because I didn't get it repaired by them they can't assist even though I brought it to them originally for the diagnostic. If I paid the $1400 I would have never heard about it and since I went elsewhere they can't stand behind the issue. I have raised this with BMW Canada who has reached out to the dealer but will not do anything further and stands behind the dealer. Attaching photos to this so you can see the text from Parkview who points out the exact same spot the damage is. Also part of the invoice mentioning the aluminum becoming "porous" which is a new one to me.

The dealer has offered a $350 store credit to me which is about 60% of what I am out of pocket but I'm not looking to ever service my car there or buy parts (I get discounts on parts through friends).

I just find it baffling both the dealer and BMW Canada wouldn't just make it right for the $5-600 it is and cover it as a one off mess up. It is disappointing BMW Canada doesn't at some point get involved when it's more than just hear say since I have the old pan and photos as backup. My ask was they reimburse the $100 diagnostic and the roughly $500 bill from the independent shop.

This dealer will never get any business from me in the future although I'm sure they could don't care.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
18BSMF82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M4

You are correct, they probably don't care or need your business. I've had similar experiences at dealerships across makes (BMW, Ford, Honda, Toyota) and I only use dealership service for warranty work, or winter tire swap/storage. That's it. Everything else is handled by well reviewed independent shops.

Just take the $350 credit. Put it towards parts or a new set of tires and move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:42 AM   #3
416_F80TURK
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sad to hear.. Parkview is usually really good to me, at least compared to Toronto BMW and the dealer located in Thornhill.

Take the $350 credit and cut your losses, if BMW Canada already sided with the dealer there isn't much else left to do. Your out of warranty anyway so you have no reason to go back to them for service.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
fxie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS FDBII, 2018 AW 440GC

Yah I would also recommend to steer away from Parkview.

They took my M3CS for a nice joyride, blowing through 1/4 tank of gas in 10km. Wouldn't take responsibility. Manager said they needed to take it out to a routine drive...even though all I'm in for is routine scheduled maintenance? Anyways, long story short, don't go to Parkview.
2014 AW F31 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #5
BBDC5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I also had bad experiences with Parkview, especially from their new car sales.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp, G05 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDC5 View Post
I also had bad experiences with Parkview, especially from their new car sales.
Had a terrible experience with their used car SA
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Unfortunately your independent nailed it! The dealer tech damaged the diff, didn't fess up and now they will deny it as the the day is long.

I will never take my cars to the dealership unless absolutely necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

I wouldn't take the credit. I would call HQ in Germany and advise you're having troubles with a particular dealership. Give them the details, and tell them what you've spent on this. You might be properly compensated that way. Maybe you're not alone and there have been other's complaining.

I had a neighbor who had their engine literally taken completely apart and put back together by Mercedes, and she never asked or was told that's what they were doing. She had taken it in for an intermittent rattle. The bill was around 9 or $10,000, but she ended up paying nothing because she called head office and told them what happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
kevinthestan
F80
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M3

Always heard about things like this at parkview.

I always either go to Pfaff, BMW Toronto, or independent. had no issues with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp, G05 x40i

+1 for Pfaff good experiences so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthestan View Post
Always heard about things like this at parkview.

I always either go to Pfaff, BMW Toronto, or independent. had no issues with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
jtothec
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

+1 for Pfaff as well.

Probably the easiest, most fair vehicle transaction I've ever had.

Can't speak for the service department though, never used them.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #12
evilive27
Rep
Drives: F80

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought an M3 Comp from them as a certified pre-owned vehicle. Three days later it was leaking oil from the oil cooler. Of course they denied it. I called bmw Canada and they sided with me. I had Pfaff fix it.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO PARKVIEW!
Appreciate 0