R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Suspension Quote

Hello friends,

I recently purchased Emmotion Design (Emmanuel Design) lowering springs and spacers. I'm confident I can DIY this after watching some videos but I don't have all the tools necessary. I can buy them if needed but would rather pay someone to install for me.

I reached out to a few Indy shops, only one has gotten back with a quote and it seems absurd and wanted to get some opinions.

They quoted 8 hours for the front, this can probably be done in an hour for the front alone right? Final quote for labor only to install front and rear springs as well as spacers $1700 before tax. $200 of this was for an alignment which I know is smart to do but $1,700 seems ridiculous especially saying it takes 8 hours for the front springs?!

I'm 100% confident this guy is an asshat but what do you guys think? Quote is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Quote.pdf (335.9 KB, 54 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
santiwan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Watts View Post
Hello friends,

I recently purchased Emmotion Design (Emmanuel Design) lowering springs and spacers. I'm confident I can DIY this after watching some videos but I don't have all the tools necessary. I can buy them if needed but would rather pay someone to install for me.

I reached out to a few Indy shops, only one has gotten back with a quote and it seems absurd and wanted to get some opinions.

They quoted 8 hours for the front, this can probably be done in an hour for the front alone right? Final quote for labor only to install front and rear springs as well as spacers $1700 before tax. $200 of this was for an alignment which I know is smart to do but $1,700 seems ridiculous especially saying it takes 8 hours for the front springs?!

I'm 100% confident this guy is an asshat but what do you guys think? Quote is attached.
Way too much. Not sure where you're at but if you're in the SoCal area, there are plenty of shops that will do it for way less.

I think I paid $350 for labor on my swift spring install.
Appreciate 1
mgm.m419.50
      07-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiwan View Post
Way too much. Not sure where you're at but if you're in the SoCal area, there are plenty of shops that will do it for way less.

I think I paid $350 for labor on my swift spring install.
I'm in Ohio so I'd think it would be about the same as you or even less.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

front 1 hour, rears 30 min. those are the shops that are scared to touch the car so they overprice it
Appreciate 1
mgm.m419.50
      07-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
front 1 hour, rears 30 min. those are the shops that are scared to touch the car so they overprice it
I just spoke with him actually and he admitted they have never done this job on an F80 before even though they advertise as a BMW Indy shop. Weird. Anyway, because of this he admitted he could only give me a quote from what his computer recommends which was 8 hours lol.

There's not many shops in Cincinnati, OH (that I know of) that do suspension work for BMW's so looks like I'm going the DIY route.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
I just spoke with him actually and he admitted they have never done this job on an F80 before even though they advertise as a BMW Indy shop. Weird. Anyway, because of this he admitted he could only give me a quote from what his computer recommends which was 8 hours lol.

There's not many shops in Cincinnati, OH (that I know of) that do suspension work for BMW's so looks like I'm going the DIY route.
If you go the DIY route, be sure you have the right tools/safety.

- Two low profile hydraulic jacks.
- Jack stands (not Harbor Freight)
- Impact Gun
- Various Box Wrenches or Socket Wrench/Sockets.
- Flat head screw driver (big one to use as spreader)

Optional:
- Breaker bar
- Torque Wrench
- Schwaben Strut Nut Socket (I forgot what size)
- Spring Compressor (free rental from Auto Parts Store)

Tip:
- Don't forget to unfasten the front brake lines from the strut so you don't stretch them.

Granted I've done this countless times, but with an impact gun, I can do a spring swap in an hour. If it's your first time, take your time... it may take 3 hrs. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
B Watts74.00
      07-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #7
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

DIY is the way to go if you have mechanical skills and especially if you have a friend to come help. Buy the tools you need and justify it compared paying a shop for the install. I have justified buying tools this way many times, usually to the wife.

Quote:
Hello friends,

Appreciate 1
B Watts74.00
      07-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
AT.Justin
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Roughly 2 ish hours to do the front and back
Appreciate 1
B Watts74.00