Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Ramzzz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Coilover help

Hey everyone, I've been on the market for a new set of coilovers for my '16 M4 non zcp with edc. I know there are hundreds on pages similar to this, but everyone is different and I would like the advice from fellow forum members since I'm not a professional at all. A lil background about me is that I'm from SoCal and I daily my car, take it to the canyons for the weekends and I want to start going to the track (blah blah blah). Basically I'm ready to move up. I love this car but It has too much body roll and gets very bouncy when I try to hit a turn. I always keep my suspension mode in sport plus and I still don't feel as planted as I'd like. I enjoy the comfort of the suspension but I would like more performance out of the coilovers. I would really like to retain the edc but I know only two companies offer products that work with edc (kw and bilstein). But I'd like to hear everyone's opinion for what they think is the preferred coilover for the m4 for daily driving. My price range is around $3500-4500. I'm aware suspension is subjective btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

If you always keep your car in Sport + mode, I don't think getting a MP HAS, KW HAS, Dinan HAS, or Bilstein Damptronic set up will magically make you use all the other modes. You sound like you're a set it forget it type of person... why not open up your options to everything and just code out the EDC? You'll still have the ability to adjust; it'll just be manual. With a $4500 budget, you would have a lot of options.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
AT.Justin
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
If you always keep your car in Sport + mode, I don't think getting a MP HAS, KW HAS, Dinan HAS, or Bilstein Damptronic set up will magically make you use all the other modes. You sound like you're a set it forget it type of person... why not open up your options to everything and just code out the EDC? You'll still have the ability to adjust; it'll just be manual. With a $4500 budget, you would have a lot of options.
^ +1

A set of properly dialed in V3, Ohlins, JRZ RS1's are a solid option.

Significantly less roll, especially in the rear
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

It's going to be firmer and it will feel very jarring over sudden gradient changes. There's no way around it. It will feel like it handles better and has less roll but it absolutely but it absolutely comes at the cost of comfort .

Comfort is subjective so some don't find that bad. Others hate it and have even gone back to stock. I'm sure you can find someone locally to go for a ride along with before you commit to purchasing them.

You'll be happy with your decision if your expectations are in line with the true nature of these systems.
Appreciate 1
x.shell6578.50
      07-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Have you tried coding your suspension. I just recently had my '15 F80 coded with GTS EPS (Steering), CS EDC, GTS Differential, and CS MDM done. And the improvement is great, car is much more nimble and rebound is much better in Sport + mode and still comfort in comfort mode. The CS MDM though wow , its almost like removing the traction control completely to a point, although there is a perfect balance of intervention and user control that allows you to just push the car like the way it should be pushed.

I would definitely try coding some suspension stuff as a mod if you havn't already..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Ramzzz
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I appreciate your reply! i wasn't considering a HAS kit because im not trying to drop the height of my car. Id like to enhance driving experience. I was honestly leaning towards the bilstein damptronic kit because sometimes i do put my car in comfort and cruise, so id like to have that option for the ease of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Ramzzz
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your input! as of now I'm considering Ohlins Road And Track/ KW Coilover Kit - Variant 3 (V3) / Bilstein B16 DampTronic Coilover Kit / KW V3 Series Coilover Kit - Adjustable Damping

Im ok with a more firm ride. Im just ready to change the driving experience of my car.

If anyone is willing to offer me a test drive with one of these suspensions i'd really appreciate it. But I understand the circumstances of the pandemic and respect everyones health so i encourage more responses so i dont fully feel like im taking a shot in the dark choosing the right suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzzz View Post
Hey everyone, I've been on the market for a new set of coilovers for my '16 M4 non zcp with edc. I know there are hundreds on pages similar to this, but everyone is different and I would like the advice from fellow forum members since I'm not a professional at all. A lil background about me is that I'm from SoCal and I daily my car, take it to the canyons for the weekends and I want to start going to the track (blah blah blah). Basically I'm ready to move up. I love this car but It has too much body roll and gets very bouncy when I try to hit a turn. I always keep my suspension mode in sport plus and I still don't feel as planted as I'd like. I enjoy the comfort of the suspension but I would like more performance out of the coilovers. I would really like to retain the edc but I know only two companies offer products that work with edc (kw and bilstein). But I'd like to hear everyone's opinion for what they think is the preferred coilover for the m4 for daily driving. My price range is around $3500-4500. I'm aware suspension is subjective btw.
I chased this same suspension rabbit for a while on my 2015 non zcp, non EDC for similar reasons (though I also REALLY wanted to get rid of the wheel gap).

I tried springs, coilovers and HAS in that order. I actually ended up on a HAS kit because for me it was a good compromise with respect to handling, comfort, price and convenience.

FWIW, the MP HAS in particular does stiffen things up noticeably so it may actually be a viable fire-and-forget solution if that's more what you're looking for. Not trying to counsel you in that direction by any means, just sharing my 2 cents. That said...some of the folks that have already responded in this thread have VASTLY more experience with suspension than I do, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0