BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Wurdalak
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Ram 1500, Can Am X3

Front Coil Spacer?

I installed a set of EMD spring a few months back and everything was fine driving back and forth in town, it feels almost like stock. But this weekend I took it for a short road trip. On the freeway at about 90 MPH any slight dip or bump in the road had the car bottoming out and probably coming off the ground. My family and I were rattled.

We are in Arizona and the roads are pretty good, and I had the suspension on my 2017 base M3 set to comfort.

Before I go back to stock spring I was thinking of installing the rear spacer that came with the EDM spring but I was wondering if someone makes something similar for the front coil springs. I think if I could get back about .7 inches I would maintain a nice look without the dangerous freeway characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurdalak View Post
I installed a set of EMD spring a few months back and everything was fine driving back and forth in town, it feels almost like stock. But this weekend I took it for a short road trip. On the freeway at about 90 MPH any slight dip or bump in the road had the car bottoming out and probably coming off the ground. My family and I were rattled.
Did you shorten your bump stops when going to lower springs? If not, that's a big reason you feel like you're bottoming out. You're engaging your bump stops sooner and on larger bumps/dips getting much further into them than you would at stock height. You can try trimming .25" off of them (from the base/top side) to start and see if that makes things feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurdalak View Post
Before I go back to stock spring I was thinking of installing the rear spacer that came with the EDM spring but I was wondering if someone makes something similar for the front coil springs. I think if I could get back about .7 inches I would maintain a nice look without the dangerous freeway characteristics.
There aren't any production part risers for the front, but I've seen people make a shim/spacer for it. It's a thick washer/donut that goes between the OE thrust bearing and the top mount. Either made of Delrin/Acetal or Kydex/ABS. I personally know one guy running one 3/16" thick.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0