BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-03-2024, 05:09 AM   #1
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Will F80s be worthless in 5-10 years?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a low mileage F80, the only thing that concerns me is the ban on the sale of new petrol cars in 10 years time here in the UK.

I know we will still be able to drive existing petrol cars after that but I can see the government making it harder for owners by increasing taxes and potentially banning them in cities.

The next M3 is likely to be electric and the petrol version will not be offered in all countries.

What do you think will happen to the value of petrol M cars? Will they hold decent value as they have done in the past or will they be completely undesirable like a Sony Walkman and be worth next to nothing?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:15 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I don’t know about London but there’s no way the electrical grid in the US can handle an all/mostly EVs for everyone. California can’t make it through a summer now without having to resort to electrical rolling blackouts. How can it in 10 years handle its current demands + an all EV society? It can’t. Look at EV sales this past year and the number of EVs sitting on dealership lots. The demand for EVs is down. There are movements in the US to reverse the number EVs in 5 years & 10 years…I personally still see a demand for ICE cars including the f8x.
Appreciate 4
      05-03-2024, 07:14 AM   #3
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I think they will push the ICE a further 5 years to 2040 in Uk and Ireland. Infrastructure is not there yet

That’s what I’m really hoping will happen
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:19 AM   #4
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I don’t know about London but there’s no way the electrical grid in the US can handle an all/mostly EVs for everyone. California can’t make it through a summer now without having to resort to electrical rolling blackouts. How can it in 10 years handle its current demands + an all EV society? It can’t. Look at EV sales this past year and the number of EVs sitting on dealership lots. The demand for EVs is down. There are movements in the US to reverse the number EVs in 5 years & 10 years…I personally still see a demand for ICE cars including the f8x.
Good points. Also I think there's the possibility that the current generation of electric vehicles could become obsolete quicker than petrol cars due to better batteries coming out that have have ranges of 1000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:21 AM   #5
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post
I think they will push the ICE a further 5 years to 2040 in Uk and Ireland. Infrastructure is not there yet

We can only hope. You just don't know with the British government, 15 years ago they were singing the praises of diesel and encouraging everyone to use it.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 08:34 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless_2k View Post
Good points. Also I think there's the possibility that the current generation of electric vehicles could become obsolete quicker than petrol cars due to better batteries coming out that have have ranges of 1000 miles.
The other thing that is needed before you can have mostly EVs and that’s a way to recycle and recover materials from EV batteries. If the first gen cars become obsolete think about the number of batteries that currently can’t be recycled.
Appreciate 1
heymarkv123.00
      05-03-2024, 08:35 AM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylazy2020 View Post

Then as we get closer to 2040, it’ll be pushed back to 2045. It’ll be a game of kick the can…
Appreciate 1
heymarkv123.00
      05-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
What I predict is that since the demand of gasoline will drop drastically since people will be switching to hybrids and EVs, the price of gasoline will be increased dramatically to offset the lower demand which will eventually price us out of keeping a gasoline car. Which will in effect lower the price of the car because the upkeep and being able to drive an ICE car will be much more difficult.

When gas was like 7 dollars a gallon in California, a lot of my co-workers dumped their normal cars and went to EV.

The infrastructure is coming believe it or not. I can only speak on behalf of California since I live here but there was a government (CPUC) mandate that all Utility companies must have battery packs to supply the Grid more power.

Not only that, there is also DERMS (Distributed Energy Resource Managing System) which will allow pulling people with like EVs with bidirectional charging and people with battery storages at home to sell power back to the Grid during high demand.

There's also like rebates and stuff to install a home charger from the Utility Companies that essentially make the home charger free or low cost so you can just charge at home for your commute.

So yeah, it's unfortunate that we're going away from ICE but there is a lot of push to go Electric.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 02:17 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Really not something to worry about today.
      05-03-2024, 06:12 PM   #10
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I think you are safe. Worry about it when it becomes a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 09:34 PM   #11
wishbone
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP, '14 F30 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
What I predict is that since the demand of gasoline will drop drastically since people will be switching to hybrids and EVs, the price of gasoline will be increased dramatically to offset the lower demand which will eventually price us out of keeping a gasoline car. Which will in effect lower the price of the car because the upkeep and being able to drive an ICE car will be much more difficult.

When gas was like 7 dollars a gallon in California, a lot of my co-workers dumped their normal cars and went to EV.

The infrastructure is coming believe it or not. I can only speak on behalf of California since I live here but there was a government (CPUC) mandate that all Utility companies must have battery packs to supply the Grid more power.

Not only that, there is also DERMS (Distributed Energy Resource Managing System) which will allow pulling people with like EVs with bidirectional charging and people with battery storages at home to sell power back to the Grid during high demand.

There's also like rebates and stuff to install a home charger from the Utility Companies that essentially make the home charger free or low cost so you can just charge at home for your commute.

So yeah, it's unfortunate that we're going away from ICE but there is a lot of push to go Electric.
This just isn’t how supply and demand works.
Also California isn’t the bellwether.

F30 328i '14 N20 / dinan sport kit / premium pkg / 6MT / hex trim / HK sound / B14 coilovers / oem roof rack / active autowerke exhaust / eventuri CF CAI
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
This just isn’t how supply and demand works.
Also California isn’t the bellwether.
It’s only my prediction. But if big oil wants people to keep their gasoline cars instead of switching to EVs, they need to do something about the gas prices as it’s nearing 6.50 dollars in my area lol. Eventually it’s going to be something only the wealthy could afford to keep operating on.

Also OPEC has been cutting production of oil production due to less demand so the writing is on the wall.

Last edited by N1rve; 05-03-2024 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:22 PM   #13
MathewM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 and BMW M3 E46

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It’s only my prediction. But if big oil wants people to keep their gasoline cars instead of switching to EVs, they need to do something about the gas prices as it’s nearing 6.50 dollars in my area lol. Eventually it’s going to be something only the wealthy could afford to keep operating on.

Also OPEC has been cutting production of oil production due to less demand so the writing is on the wall.
$6.50 !! Valid reason to move to Texas.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:45 PM   #14
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

No is the simple answer as ICE cars will be around for decades still. Most performance cars will out preform BEV cars hence there will be even more longevity in this catagory as you can see by those manufacturers.

Buy the M car and enjoy years of smiles and miles.
Appreciate 4
      05-04-2024, 01:38 AM   #15
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:

Less demand so the price goes up? That's just silly. However as the demand for electricity goes up and the supply becomes lower, it will be much more expensive to charge an EV vs a full tank of gas. Offering free charging stations was just a carrot to get you to switch to an EV but that will end quick. Paying your house power bill will become much more expensive as well.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2024, 02:54 AM   #16
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Less demand so the price goes up? That's just silly. However as the demand for electricity goes up and the supply becomes lower, it will be much more expensive to charge an EV vs a full tank of gas. Offering free charging stations was just a carrot to get you to switch to an EV but that will end quick. Paying your house power bill will become much more expensive as well.
This is just my prediction... less demand of gasoline will result in lower production of gas hence the increase in price for the people that still want it. My observation in my daily life is already demonstrating this. There are so many EVs in California, almost every other car is a Tesla but why does my gasoline keep going up in price when people are switching over to EVs? Why hasn't my gas prices been dropping due to lower demand since people are switching to EVs? If Big Oil wants us to keep burning that gasoline, they're gonna have to do something that will prevent us from going to pure EVs which would be lowering the fuel prices. Big oil is not playing ball and OPEC just cut more oil production which will just keep raising gas prices.

One of the main benefits of electricity is the price isn't as volatile since the price is regulated by the CPUC in California at least (Can't speak for other states). It's not like gasoline where if there is even like a whiff of some oil production problem or a refinery outage the gas prices just spike dramatically or like if OPEC decides to keep profits high, they will just cut oil production.

Quote:
The OPEC Secretariat noted the announcements of several OPEC+ countries extending additional voluntary cuts of 2.2 million barrels per day, aimed at supporting the stability and balance of oil markets.
https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/press_room/7305.htm

Supporting the balance of the oil markets just screams keeping profits high.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 07:07 AM   #17
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Collectors are still driving Model A’s, Tri-five Chevy’s and myriad 60’s muscle cars, and if BaT, Mecum and BJ are any indication, they aren’t exactly losing value. I think the F80 and its competitors will appreciate too, over time. Especially as EV’s, or at least some of their functions, become increasingly autonomous. There will always be folks out there craving a more engaging and/or analog experience. Go ahead and “Mjoy”!
Appreciate 2
eff32fl1081.50
heymarkv123.00
      05-04-2024, 09:12 AM   #18
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My local utility is about to stop installing upgraded service to homes for EV chargers. There is not enough capacity in the grid to with less than 10 percent of new cars sold being EV. The cost will be prohibitive to upgrade So i just don't see it being practical. Once ideologies are out of the way hybrid or hydrogen makes a lot of sense to make a meaningful reduction in emissions with minimal infrastructure costs. If we are ever going to go full in we will need to embrace nuclear and look how many people are against that.

I think ice is safe for a long long time.
Appreciate 2
M3SQRD2428.00
heymarkv123.00
      05-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #19
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
My local utility is about to stop installing upgraded service to homes for EV chargers. There is not enough capacity in the grid to with less than 10 percent of new cars sold being EV. The cost will be prohibitive to upgrade So i just don't see it being practical. Once ideologies are out of the way hybrid or hydrogen makes a lot of sense to make a meaningful reduction in emissions with minimal infrastructure costs. If we are ever going to go full in we will need to embrace nuclear and look how many people are against that.

I think ice is safe for a long long time.
Well stated. I’m 100% in agreement.

I think solar panels on home roofs look terrible. I can’t imagine what things would look like if everyone is forced to install solar panels on their roofs.
Appreciate 1
heymarkv123.00
      05-04-2024, 11:38 AM   #20
jaylazy2020
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:

I think a US gallon is about 3.8 litres so good 102 in Germany is $9.20 a gallon. Not as much of gap as it used to be
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:19 PM   #21
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately I missed out on another good car but no more pussyfooting from here on!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 05:54 PM   #22
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

Worthless? No. Worth more.
Appreciate 0