GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

ESS Tuning S55 Flash - T-500 Performance ECU Flash w/ EAS

As some of you may know, ESS released an ECU flash for the S55 engine a short time ago and I've been driving with it shortly after it was released on my 2015 F80 M3. For a bit of background: My car is stock engine-wise, uses 91 octane fuel, and I switched from a JB4 to the ESS flash (yes, this is a full flash and NOT a piggyback system like the JB4/Dinan). With some miles put on the car, I feel that I can finally provide some feedback with this tune.

To my butt dyno, the gains (from stock) are very noticeable and the power delivery is very easy to handle. Throughout the entire rev range and in every gear, the car feels like it has a lot more urgency behind the throttle, providing additional power whenever I need it. Definitely makes passing cars on the highway a much easier process.
At full throttle though, it will push you back into the seat like you've never experienced. The difference from stock and the ESS tune is the difference between a lanky 140lb man tackling you and a 6'4 linebacker knocking you out. The torque gains are insane (again, I have NO extra mods other than the flash).

One of the biggest benefits of the ESS flash though is the fact that it isn't a piggyback system, so you aren't dealing with an external ECU telling the internal ECU what to do - the flash just IS. Everything is tuned internally and thus all safeguards are in place. This is one of the reasons why I switched from a JB4 and I certainly don't regret it. It might just be me, but the power delivery feels smoother with the flash over the JB4 as well. I have more peace of mind with the ESS over any other system currently on the market and one of the reasons is that I had talked to MoTeC tuner (for race cars) and he mentioned that a direct ECU flash is pretty much the way to go when it comes to tuning a car.

I'm sure you guys don't want the butt dyno results though, so here's a dyno chart (stock in blue vs ESS flash in red):

And some photos of the car sitting pretty on Klassen wheels with stance provided by Macht Schnell lowering springs:

Full Mod List from photos (I didn't have these mods with the flash):
ESS T-500 ECU Flash
Macht Schnell lowering springs
Klassen MS03 wheels in Atlantic Blue (w/ PSS tires)
BMW M-Performance gills & grills
BMW M-Performance front lip and trunk spoiler
RKP carbon fiber rear diffuser
AWE Tuning non-resonated exhaust
Macht Schnell exhaust valve controller
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

I wonder how comparable the ESS flash is to the ESS etronic harness.
I heard that they both perform almost the same. (Performance wise)

Is this a true OBD flash or was there connection directly to the computer to perform this software flash ?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post

Is this a true OBD flash or was there connection directly to the computer to perform this software flash ?
based on piggy backs and flashes, the ecu flash is most likely way smoother compared, the piggy back is very similar to the jb4
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:

ESS flash is a bench flash. Remove the ECU from engine, flash it, return ECU to engine. Further flashs (from what I understand) don't require ECU removal, but can be done through the OBDII
      07-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
zackf80m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
ESS flash is a bench flash. Remove the ECU from engine, flash it, return ECU to engine. Further flashs (from what I understand) don't require ECU removal, but can be done through the OBDII
Whenever obd2 access is achieved. As far as I know, it hasn't yet!
      07-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackf80m View Post
Whenever obd2 access is achieved. As far as I know, it hasn't yet!
OB2 access is available, but only after the ECU has been bench flashed
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalit@AUTOcouture View Post
OB2 access is available, but only after the ECU has been bench flashed
I think that may have exactly what I said...
      07-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

This "full flash"... what ECU tables does it modify?
      07-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Appreciate the review, Glad you're happy with the T-500 flash.

We've been doing a ton on testing on this file, with over 100 runfiles on our shop M4 already. We're experiencing the same results as Bring's review, those that have been flashes have been very pleased with the results with the smoothness in power and torque delivery.

ESS is leading the way again on flash tuning for the S55. We're seeing some very good numbers on 91 octane and will be flashing a couple more this week and following up with results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Correct. The RSA encryption has been the hurdle here but we're seeing big progress in very little time compared to the time it took to see tunes for previous-generation M3s.

Quote:

Brings' M3 was bench-flashed at our facility, OBD2 flashing vehicles will be an option soon down the road. We are capable of same-day tuning, as well as dynoing in-house.

More to come.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brings View Post
As some of you may know, ESS released an ECU flash for the S55 engine a short time ago and I've been driving with it shortly after it was released on my 2015 F80 M3. For a bit of background: My car is stock engine-wise, uses 91 octane fuel, and I switched from a JB4 to the ESS flash (yes, this is a full flash and NOT a piggyback system like the JB4/Dinan). With some miles put on the car, I feel that I can finally provide some feedback with this tune.

To my butt dyno, the gains (from stock) are very noticeable and the power delivery is very easy to handle. Throughout the entire rev range and in every gear, the car feels like it has a lot more urgency behind the throttle, providing additional power whenever I need it. Definitely makes passing cars on the highway a much easier process.
At full throttle though, it will push you back into the seat like you've never experienced. The difference from stock and the ESS tune is the difference between a lanky 140lb man tackling you and a 6'4 linebacker knocking you out. The torque gains are insane (again, I have NO extra mods other than the flash).

One of the biggest benefits of the ESS flash though is the fact that it isn't a piggyback system, so you aren't dealing with an external ECU telling the internal ECU what to do - the flash just IS. Everything is tuned internally and thus all safeguards are in place. This is one of the reasons why I switched from a JB4 and I certainly don't regret it. It might just be me, but the power delivery feels smoother with the flash over the JB4 as well. I have more peace of mind with the ESS over any other system currently on the market and one of the reasons is that I had talked to MoTeC tuner (for race cars) and he mentioned that a direct ECU flash is pretty much the way to go when it comes to tuning a car.

I'm sure you guys don't want the butt dyno results though, so here's a dyno chart (stock in blue vs ESS flash in red):

And some photos of the car sitting pretty on Klassen wheels with stance provided by Macht Schnell lowering springs:

Full Mod List from photos (I didn't have these mods with the flash):
ESS T-500 ECU Flash
Macht Schnell lowering springs
Klassen MS03 wheels in Atlantic Blue (w/ PSS tires)
BMW M-Performance gills & grills
BMW M-Performance front lip and trunk spoiler
RKP carbon fiber rear diffuser
AWE Tuning non-resonated exhaust
Macht Schnell exhaust valve controller
I wonder if the power delivery just seems smoother because you're making less power than JB4? Did you dyno with JB4? I mean with the 20hp gains from AWE (claimed) to only pick up this amount of power is kinda weak no? The EAS dyno generally reads kinda high even for a Dynojet.

I remember when ESS sold me an e-tronics box I was told the flash wouldn't have any advantages. But I guess that was just to get me to buy an e-tronics box before the flash was released.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
based on piggy backs and flashes, the ecu flash is most likely way smoother compared, the piggy back is very similar to the jb4
And that's what I would assume as well.
Any ECU flash I have performed is always smoother then harnesses.
Always just a good question in comparison since this is so new to this platform for everyone to have options.

Not all harnesses are equal tho. Dinan is smoother then JB4 and ESS but all perform a little bit different when we get into the operation specifics

Regardless, OBD flashes will be where its at once the hurdles that are present are surpassed.
Excited to see companies being able to move forward.
Only few companies are getting it done and the results seem to be very promising.

Last edited by A Frankfurt; 07-29-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I wonder if the power delivery just seems smoother because you're making less power than JB4? Did you dyno with JB4? I mean with the 20hp gains from AWE (claimed) to only pick up this amount of power is kinda weak no? The EAS dyno generally reads kinda high even for a Dynojet.

I remember when ESS sold me an e-tronics box I was told the flash wouldn't have any advantages. But I guess that was just to get me to buy an e-tronics box before the flash was released.
Flash definitely has advantages, the DME is fully in control over all areas, including fueling. Cold Start removal, HFC code removal (catless downpipes), Rev limitation, Overrun and Cold Start Delete are other areas that are only accessible by flash tuning. However the piggyback and flash tune discussions have been beat to death, there are a ton of other threads to battle this out in.

This is only the beginning and things are about to get even better. The turbos are the bottleneck of the system when the boost is pushed, so upgraded turbos are on their way for our shop M4.

Our dyno equipment is all new and just made a complete hardware to 2015 specs late last year to WinPEP8, most shops still are on v7. Our dyno has been very accurate among other dynojets in the past, as well as used by various publications such as Road & Track, European Car and hosted various events. A good example is Alekshop's 4.6L M3 project made a trip down here from Norcal to dyno and verified to be within ~5whp of Speciality Z's dyno (same dyno BMS uses), when both dynos were tested - on the same day.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Glad you like the new flash tune. It has been difficult to make power on this platform with 91 octane but we have made some very good progress in the past couple of months. I have been getting reviews from dealers and customers who have received our flash tune and are very happy with how the car drives and the power it makes. We will continue to develop our flash tuning options as we get more and more time with the platform and as always any updates we come out with will always be free to current customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Flash definitely has advantages, the DME is fully in control over all areas, including fueling. Cold Start removal, HFC code removal (catless downpipes), Rev limitation, Overrun and Cold Start Delete are other areas that are only accessible by flash tuning. However the piggyback and flash tune discussions have been beat to death, there are a ton of other threads to battle this out in.

This is only the beginning and things are about to get even better. The turbos are the bottleneck of the system when the boost is pushed, so upgraded turbos are on their way for our shop M4.

Our dyno equipment is all new and just made a complete hardware to 2015 specs late last year to WinPEP8, most shops still are on v7. Our dyno has been very accurate among other dynojets in the past, as well as used by various publications such as Road & Track, European Car and hosted various events. A good example is Alekshop's 4.6L M3 project made a trip down here from Norcal to dyno and verified to be within ~5whp of Speciality Z's dyno (same dyno BMS uses), when both dynos were tested - on the same day.

Hope this helps.
Well Tom...

Considering the OP compares it to JB4 in his post I think questioning that comparison in this thread is pretty valid. But thanks for your concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Well Tom...

Considering the OP compares it to JB4 in his post I think questioning that comparison in this thread is pretty valid. But thanks for your concern.
His review simply echoes what we've seen and experienced in the past, as well as what others have commented on.

Apples and oranges. There plenty of room for both to exist.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

I have a jb4 and ER downpipes and would love to do some side by side pulls to see the difference between the jb4 and the ess flash tune in action. I'm also located in oc (newport beach). I know we were driving side by side the other night but didn't get a clean run in, also not sure if you were going WOT.
My car is not a dct (6mt) but I think that a comparison video would still be valuable
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #17
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

So the ESS Flash only gained 30bhp? My JB4 gained me around 60whp. Am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
His review simply echoes what we've seen and experienced in the past, as well as what others have commented on.

Apples and oranges. There plenty of room for both to exist.
There is also plenty of room to ask questions to a poster who has experienced both. Up until now we have mostly read vendor posts which lets be honest are out to sell product. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #19
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
So the ESS Flash only gained 30bhp? My JB4 gained me around 60whp. Am i missing something?

If you look at the graph and not just peak you will see the flash tune made more than 30 whp in several areas than stock.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
There is also plenty of room to ask questions to a poster who has experienced both. Up until now we have mostly read vendor posts which lets be honest are out to sell product. Thanks

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
zackf80m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [7.80]
What is this car boosting?
      07-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
M4 away
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
If you look at the graph and not just peak you will see the flash tune made more than 30 whp in several areas than stock.
Hi Roman, looks like progress is being made, but still plenty of room for improvement. Does that car appear to be loosing boost or pinking around 5,000? Hard to tell without Boost and ignition logs. Would 93 help with that?

I look forward to V2. : ) Keep up the good work.
Appreciate 0