Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

11-22-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: @a_anders0n

Pre-Californian Question - Smog Test

My family is moving to NorCal early next year but I am concerned about the California smog test. Washington recently got rid of their emissions testing so I run a catless dp. I did retain oem mid pipes and have a Dinan muffler (I believe this is still catted). Do I need to worry about passing this smog test after/when I register my 15' F80? I heard a trick is to run the engine for thirty minutes and don't turn it off. But, is this only needed if you're completely catless? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 06:09 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd View Post
My family is moving to NorCal early next year but I am concerned about the California smog test. Washington recently got rid of their emissions testing so I run a catless dp. I did retain oem mid pipes and have a Dinan muffler (I believe this is still catted). Do I need to worry about passing this smog test after/when I register my 15' F80? I heard a trick is to run the engine for thirty minutes and don't turn it off. But, is this only needed if you're completely catless? Thanks in advance!
Yes. Once a car is over… I think 8 years old, the smog abatement fee is gone and you will will need to run normal smog or STAR smog checks depending on what the state wants for your car. A STAR inspection costs more than a normal SMOG check. California still does normal emission testing every 2 years.

Registering a car from out of state requires a bit more work as if I can recall you need to get a DMV VIN inspection and a smog check (even if your car is less than 8 years old.)

If you have a tune, they will also check for that and even flashing back changes the checksum. I forgot a lot of the details but this was enforced in 2021 and since I don’t tune my car, I didn’t bother reading more. CARB legal tunes are still allowed.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...fications/amp/

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
thekidd36.00
      11-23-2023, 01:47 AM   #3
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yes. Once a car is over… I think 8 years old, the smog abatement fee is gone and you will will need to run normal smog or STAR smog checks depending on what the state wants for your car. A STAR inspection costs more than a normal SMOG check. California still does normal emission testing every 2 years.

Registering a car from out of state requires a bit more work as if I can recall you need to get a DMV VIN inspection and a smog check (even if your car is less than 8 years old.)

If you have a tune, they will also check for that and even flashing back changes the checksum. I forgot a lot of the details but this was enforced in 2021 and since I don’t tune my car, I didn’t bother reading more. CARB legal tunes are still allowed.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...fications/amp/
Thanks for sharing the information. I found more chatter around and am getting the feeling it might be safest to sell my car before moving just to be safe. Reverting the tune sounds simple enough but I would cross my fingers the codes match.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 02:00 AM   #4
00SH4WN
We are what we allow ourselves to be...
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F82 SMB ZCP

Garage List
2020 M4  [10.00]
In order to register the car in CA (any year) you will need to have it smogged.

My experience: Bought my car in a another state and even though it was less than a year old and had only a couple thousand miles on the odometer I was required to get it inspected at the DMV and smogged (Star station wasn't needed). Since the battery was disconnected while it was transported; I had to get it smog ready by driving it on the freeway for 15 minutes...the hard part: driving it on the freeway at no more than 3000 RPM

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...g-inspections/

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464248
      11-23-2023, 03:07 AM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the information. I found more chatter around and am getting the feeling it might be safest to sell my car before moving just to be safe. Reverting the tune sounds simple enough but I would cross my fingers the codes match.
Might be safer depending on how much you did to your car.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #6
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SH4WN View Post
In order to register the car in CA (any year) you will need to have it smogged.

My experience: Bought my car in a another state and even though it was less than a year old and had only a couple thousand miles on the odometer I was required to get it inspected at the DMV and smogged (Star station wasn't needed). Since the battery was disconnected while it was transported; I had to get it smog ready by driving it on the freeway for 15 minutes...the hard part: driving it on the freeway at no more than 3000 RPM

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...g-inspections/

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464248
Thanks for the info! Is this a state-wide policy or more county/city? What happens if you fail? Honestly can’t you just pay a fine? Ultimately California just wants money right?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 02:03 PM   #7
00SH4WN
We are what we allow ourselves to be...
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F82 SMB ZCP

Garage List
2020 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is this a state-wide policy or more county/city? What happens if you fail? Honestly can’t you just pay a fine? Ultimately California just wants money right?
State. I've never failed a smog test before (other than the time where the readiness code was set). I would imagine that you would have to make necessary repairs and retest.

LOL...it's always about money
      11-24-2023, 05:42 PM   #8
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SH4WN View Post
State. I've never failed a smog test before (other than the time where the readiness code was set). I would imagine that you would have to make necessary repairs and retest.

LOL...it's always about money
I’ll likely have my pipes removed and replaced back with stock 😔at least I can tune back to stock. Sounds like whoever tracks their car doesn’t have any exhaust modifications or is able to do the work themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 03:21 PM   #9
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
... Sounds like whoever tracks their car doesn’t have any exhaust modifications or is able to do the work themselves.
Or knows a guy that'll pass them for a few extra bucks. That's probably getting a lot harder to find since the penalties are pretty steep now but it still happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:07 AM   #10
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Or knows a guy that'll pass them for a few extra bucks. That's probably getting a lot harder to find since the penalties are pretty steep now but it still happens.
I called around and it’s hard to find a shop willing. It’s looking like I have to take them off and then showcase them on the wall.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #11
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Check out the how to pass smog tread in the general forums. You dont need to go back to stock. Just install some "defoulers ($15) on your downstream o2 sensors. You can also buy "minicats" but they are a lot more expensive.

Dont worry about midpipes, every shop ive been too dont seem to look/care. There are shops that will pa$$ you but its about $400+ and you cant have a failed smog on your CA DMV record.
I just passed smog with catless last month using defoulers. GL
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
thekidd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwho2 View Post
Check out the how to pass smog tread in the general forums. You dont need to go back to stock. Just install some "defoulers ($15) on your downstream o2 sensors. You can also buy "minicats" but they are a lot more expensive.

Dont worry about midpipes, every shop ive been too dont seem to look/care. There are shops that will pa$$ you but its about $400+ and you cant have a failed smog on your CA DMV record.
I just passed smog with catless last month using defoulers. GL
I wish I was confident enough to do this myself. Getting under there, removing, and adding the defoulers sounds more complex than an oil change. I called around to different shops and at least up north no one seems willing.

Anyone in the Sacramento area able to help? 🥺
Appreciate 0