GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

DIY - Changing ambient light colors

This DIY explains step by step how to change your ambient light colors by changing just the installed LED's.

You would need: A T20 Torx bit, 2 slotted small screwdrivers, a solid pry tool and the exchange SMD LED's. Those are available in various colours, my desired combo is blue/white.
If you want to change just the lights at footwell driver/passenger you'll need 2 of the shown white ones for the F83/F33. For the F82/F32 you'll need 2 more for the reverse footwell lights into the passenger compartment. Plus if you want to change the cupholder lights too, also 1 more.
For the door lights you'll need for F8x/F3x 4 of the black SMD LED's, 2 front and 2 rear. Hence my lights into the rear are already very dark and normally no one seats behind however, I'd decided to let them original white/amber.

Footwell lights front: Remove the installed housings at passenger and drivers side by inserting a slotted screwdriver and extract them carefully from its rest. Disconnect the wire by pulling the receptacle out.
Then open the housing by lifting carefully the 4 shown studs and then pull off the white cap. For removing the installed LED just turn 180° and let it fall off its housing. Insert the new one, close the housing and replug the receptacle.
Just click it back into their holes and you're done.
Remark: With doors open you'll see the both white LED's and the blue one illuminated, the whites extinguishes immediately when the door is closed and the headlights are on.

Door lights: Remove the shown handle with the pry tool and obey not to pull with too much force upwards to avoid to break the studs below. After removal you'll be accessable of the 2 red circled screwholes, which holds the 2 T20 screws. Remove them and stow them aside.
Then start to remove the door fairing down low onto the left (passenger) or right (driver) by inserting the pry tool and lift carefully as long as the first clicksounds appear, when the studs are released inside of their rests. Make your way around both sides until the fairing is just hanging at its top of the door, no need to remove it entirely.
Now tilt away from the door and find at the rear end within the red circled area the ambient light LED. Remove the plug and carefully open the small cage with the screwdriver, dont bend the studs too much, it will break easily.
When the cage is open, just remove the former LED and replace it with the new one, obey the direction, the LED's must face the floor of the cage.
Close the cage and replug the cable, close the fairing just by pressing it back to the door and hear for the snap-in sounds, reinsert the 2 screws and tighten them, install the handle and thats it, you're done.

For the rear lights I assume that you'll have to remove the passenger bank to get the sidefairing removed, hadnt try that.

Now you're able to switch via iDrive between classic (blue) and sport (white).
Attached Images

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 8
TopJimmy5392.50
m3elmo49.50
9M711232.50
AND1_M369.00
yjypm219.00
lavon0.00
      11-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

This is amazing, thanks for tackling this.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      12-12-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Agree this is amazing. I’m waiting on them to see if they can ship to the states
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Finally got mine delivered after a slow 2 month shipping process. Now I need to find time to get my LED’s installed
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Please website or parts code? I can t find the door leds
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 04:10 AM   #6
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Go to benzinfabrik.com, you'll need for ambient light change behind the door fairings front and rear 4x B803813 (don't forget to select your desired color combo) and for the footwell front driver/passenger 2x B8023 (also desired color combo to pick).

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 02-22-2021 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

Great write up, just fitted new door cards in as was changing the colour of my interior, completely forgot about the door ambient lighting but just ordered x4 leds from benzinfabrik nearly £50 quite expensive but hopefully it's worth it.

Is yours lci? As I've heard the lci upgrade the optic light tube too as mine pre lci I hope I still get a decent glow
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibby1996 View Post
Great write up, just fitted new door cards in as was changing the colour of my interior, completely forgot about the door ambient lighting but just ordered x4 leds from benzinfabrik nearly £50 quite expensive but hopefully it's worth it.

Is yours lci? As I've heard the lci upgrade the optic light tube too as mine pre lci I hope I still get a decent glow
Thx dude, appreciated. Its a LCI and I like the brightness very much. Cant compare to pre LCI but I owned a 435i from 2014 and its still got issues with the ambient light. Went darker and darker and at the end you were be able to guess that its on but no real proof

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibby1996 View Post

Thx dude, appreciated. Its a LCI and I like the brightness very much. Cant compare to pre LCI but I owned a 435i from 2014 and its still got issues with the ambient light. Went darker and darker and at the end you were be able to guess that its on but no real proof
Yeah so my benzinfabrik led arrived, look great, I was changing the colour of my interior and someone sent me the door cards for a f33, so had to buy the rear door cards from someone else and turns out the rear door cards are lci. So in the lci they also upgraded the optic light tubing as you can see from the photo the lights are the same colour even though they don't look it but a lot brighter in the back
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #10
Bimmerboy2297
France
Rep
Drives: F21 118d

Amazing ! Thanks for sharing
      12-07-2021, 11:39 PM   #11
Dustin248
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Ambient light

Quote:
This DIY explains step by step how to change your ambient light colors by changing just the installed LED's.

You would need: A T20 Torx bit, 2 slotted small screwdrivers, a solid pry tool and the exchange SMD LED's. Those are available in various colours, my desired combo is blue/white.
If you want to change just the lights at footwell driver/passenger you'll need 2 of the shown white ones for the F83/F33. For the F82/F32 you'll need 2 more for the reverse footwell lights into the passenger compartment. Plus if you want to change the cupholder lights too, also 1 more.
For the door lights you'll need for F8x/F3x 4 of the black SMD LED's, 2 front and 2 rear. Hence my lights into the rear are already very dark and normally no one seats behind however, I'd decided to let them original white/amber.

Footwell lights front: Remove the installed housings at passenger and drivers side by inserting a slotted screwdriver and extract them carefully from its rest. Disconnect the wire by pulling the receptacle out.
Then open the housing by lifting carefully the 4 shown studs and then pull off the white cap. For removing the installed LED just turn 180° and let it fall off its housing. Insert the new one, close the housing and replug the receptacle.
Just click it back into their holes and you're done.
Remark: With doors open you'll see the both white LED's and the blue one illuminated, the whites extinguishes immediately when the door is closed and the headlights are on.

Door lights: Remove the shown handle with the pry tool and obey not to pull with too much force upwards to avoid to break the studs below. After removal you'll be accessable of the 2 red circled screwholes, which holds the 2 T20 screws. Remove them and stow them aside.
Then start to remove the door fairing down low onto the left (passenger) or right (driver) by inserting the pry tool and lift carefully as long as the first clicksounds appear, when the studs are released inside of their rests. Make your way around both sides until the fairing is just hanging at its top of the door, no need to remove it entirely.
Now tilt away from the door and find at the rear end within the red circled area the ambient light LED. Remove the plug and carefully open the small cage with the screwdriver, dont bend the studs too much, it will break easily.
When the cage is open, just remove the former LED and replace it with the new one, obey the direction, the LED's must face the floor of the cage.
Close the cage and replug the cable, close the fairing just by pressing it back to the door and hear for the snap-in sounds, reinsert the 2 screws and tighten them, install the handle and thats it, you're done.

For the rear lights I assume that you'll have to remove the passenger bank to get the sidefairing removed, hadnt try that.

Now you're able to switch via iDrive between classic (blue) and sport (white).
Love the look of this! Do you happen to have anymore photos of the ambient lighting? Does there need to be any coding or is it just plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Thx man, appreciated.
No coding necessary, just plug&play. Tell me your special wishes for more pics and I'll provide you with them.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #13
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Did a few new shots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I want to do this just to have brighter OEM orange throughout.

Is there a link to the LEDs?

Edit: nevermind, saw the post about going to benzin

Last edited by N44RP; 12-15-2021 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      12-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Is there a way to post a full interior shot?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #16
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Does this meet your request?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F80RN898.50
      12-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Does this meet your request?
Oh that's nice. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #18
Goose619
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Im a little confused. You said the m4/4 series need 4 footwell lights? But the m3/3series need only 2?

I have a 4 series so just trying to order the correct amount.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #19
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose619 View Post
Im a little confused. You said the m4/4 series need 4 footwell lights? But the m3/3series need only 2?

I have a 4 series so just trying to order the correct amount.
I wrote, that the Coupe has if installed 2 more footwell lights in the back if you have them factory installed, in the front are only 2 installed. The F83 has no rear footwell lights installed.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #20
Goose619
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wrote, that the Coupe has if installed 2 more footwell lights in the back if you have them factory installed, in the front are only 2 installed. The F83 has no rear footwell lights installed.
Oh ok thanks for the clarification!

I got the footwell lights in! Got them in white/orange 605

In case anyone is wondering, I can verify that 605 leds are the ones you want if you’re looking to match the oem bmw orange.

Right off the bat, orange looks awesome even full brightness. Setting it to sport, the white led is definitely too bright for my eyes. I’m hoping the other leds are just as bright so I can dim for the entire cabin and not just the footwell lights.

I just placed an order for 2 radio trim and 2 door card leds in white/orange 605 now that I know that’s the orange I want. Will update on those when I get them. They seem to be back ordered. So it might be a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:27 AM   #21
N44RP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose619 View Post
Oh ok thanks for the clarification!

I got the footwell lights in! Got them in white/orange 605

In case anyone is wondering, I can verify that 605 leds are the ones you want if you’re looking to match the oem bmw orange.

Right off the bat, orange looks awesome even full brightness. Setting it to sport, the white led is definitely too bright for my eyes. I’m hoping the other leds are just as bright so I can dim for the entire cabin and not just the footwell lights.

I just placed an order for 2 radio trim and 2 door card leds in white/orange 605 now that I know that’s the orange I want. Will update on those when I get them. They seem to be back ordered. So it might be a while.

Based on their website it says the regular white/orange is the classic color designation with the 605s having more red in them. That would lead me to believe the 605s would seem out of place. What tipped you off to the 605s possibly being the correct color for the interior?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
Goose619
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RP View Post
Based on their website it says the regular white/orange is the classic color designation with the 605s having more red in them. That would lead me to believe the 605s would seem out of place. What tipped you off to the 605s possibly being the correct color for the interior?
I read this article where the guy claims 605 is the color that bmw chose for several reasons. https://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/28/...-illumination/ I believed him. I think the website is reading as is if “orange” is the classic bmw color because we are translating a German website. Sometimes things sound weird in translation. I’ll post a picture of the lights later when it gets dark.
Appreciate 0