Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Bx2SoCal
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Suspension issues...please help

Hey fellas...i have a 2016 F83 and I recently went to a local shop and installed a set of Emmanuel Design lowering springs. I already had 15mm spacers all around. Initially I thought the front was a bit too low vs the back but the shop said that was normal. I don't drive my car that often so wasn't able to really notice the issues until a few days ago. It slams at the front when going over bumps and I'm also getting a weird smell like something burning coming from the front wheel wells. Not sure if it's suspension or just my tires rubbing with the spacers. They knew I had the spacers before installing the springs and said it should be no problem. Here's a photos of my car and drop. What do you guys think?? Anyone else dropped on springs with spacers that experienced these issues? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

It could be an install issue but I've asked this multiple times - why go with manufacturers with very little history making suspension components?

OP to be honest I don't see much issue in the 2 pictures you have provided based on height. Everything else you mentioned, I would go take it to another shop to have a look ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Luc@Speed&Tech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G80 M3, E92 M3, F56 JCW

The shop probably installed the rear spring perch spacer (only meant for F80)

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
F83 is significantly heavier than F80/82 (~120lbs front ~415lbs rear) and BMW's OE springs for it are stiffer as a result to maintain the same ride height. For example, for the comp pack, the front F83 spring is 7% stiffer than the F80/82 and the rear is 32% stiffer.

The EMD front spring rate (194lbs/in) is just slightly less than F80/82 comp pack front and the rear (645lbs/in) is identical to the F80/82 comp pack (but linear and not progressive). In fact the rear EMD spring rate is 15% softer than the F83 base rear spring.

It wouldn't surprise me if your bottoming out feeling is coming from hitting the bump stops and getting deeper into them a lot sooner than you would normally. As for rubbing under compression, check the liner near the outside edge of the wheel well at the 10 o'clock spot. It protrudes closer to the tire there and with your spacers you'll be getting even closer to that.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Bx2SoCal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
F83 is significantly heavier than F80/82 (~120lbs front ~415lbs rear) and BMW's OE springs for it are stiffer as a result to maintain the same ride height. For example, for the comp pack, the front F83 spring is 7% stiffer than the F80/82 and the rear is 32% stiffer.

The EMD front spring rate (194lbs/in) is just slightly less than F80/82 comp pack front and the rear (645lbs/in) is identical to the F80/82 comp pack (but linear and not progressive). In fact the rear EMD spring rate is 15% softer than the F83 base rear spring.

It wouldn't surprise me if your bottoming out feeling is coming from hitting the bump stops and getting deeper into them a lot sooner than you would normally. As for rubbing under compression, check the liner near the outside edge of the wheel well at the 10 o'clock spot. It protrudes closer to the tire there and with your spacers you'll be getting even closer to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

Thank you fellas. I definitely rushed into this without doing any research. I came from having an F10 and had no issues with my H&R's and went with the shops recommendations since they were the so called F80/82 go to shop. I'm gonna swap out my spacers for 12mm and see how much that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
JPOWER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 BLK VERT(F83)

I have 15mm spacers in the Front and 12mm in the Rear so I would say that is not the issue. Our springs are Definitely different then the F80/F82 as we are Heavier. I went with the H&R Sport Springs since i have the adjustable suspension vs the Super Sport Springs which are way too low and feel Really bouncy at high speeds. I have showed you my car in the other thread you created so i would say our stance are similar though i do have the 20" 666 Competition Rims on my car. Definitely have the shop that installed the springs look into this asap before it causes any damage to your shocks. Keep us updated and good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOWER View Post
I have showed you my car in the other thread you created so i would say our stance are similar though i do have the 20" 666 Competition Rims on my car. Definitely have the shop that installed the springs look into this asap before it causes any damage to your shocks. Keep us updated and good luck
You guys can compare hub (center of roundel) to fender measurements to see how close/different you are with respect to ride height.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
JPOWER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

pictures

well here is some pictures of the front and back for comparison
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #9
Bx2SoCal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOWER View Post
I have 15mm spacers in the Front and 12mm in the Rear so I would say that is not the issue. Our springs are Definitely different then the F80/F82 as we are Heavier. I went with the H&R Sport Springs since i have the adjustable suspension vs the Super Sport Springs which are way too low and feel Really bouncy at high speeds. I have showed you my car in the other thread you created so i would say our stance are similar though i do have the 20" 666 Competition Rims on my car. Definitely have the shop that installed the springs look into this asap before it causes any damage to your shocks. Keep us updated and good luck
Thanks J. Actually heading back there this Saturday. Really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm most likely gonna just go H&Rs.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
JPOWER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx2SoCal View Post
Thanks J. Actually heading back there this Saturday. Really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm most likely gonna just go H&Rs.
Good choice. They Definitely feel great even at high speeds unlike the H&R Super Sport Springs. Everyone i spoke to said that i would hate the ride with just the springs but i certainly don't feel that way. Just Remember after install you should wait at least a Week to let the Springs settle then go get a Wheel alignment to make sure the tire wear is consistent and your car will feel a lot more stable. Anyone know a Good shop in the SOCAL Area that is recommended to work on our cars?
Appreciate 0