Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

09-25-2020, 03:27 AM   #23
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
No worries.

The Europeans, in their quest to ruin all the good things in the world, have introduced legislation that forces those little wings.
The M8 I think already had that.
It's some hogwash that the tire has to be completely covered from the top of the car

PS: I'm European
Couldn't they have just flared the fenders a little more? The M4 doesn't seem to have them.

I suppose an owner can remove them...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #24
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
Quote:
legal requirement in Europe, but ok, let's complain
It looks like shit.

Sorry, not familiar with EU requirements and did not see any explanation for their presence in any of the articles yet.

Why is it missing from the F80? What changed? Why is it not on the M4?

Please enlighten us.
Looking at that and the crease/dent at the leading edge of the fender it looks like they had a lot of trouble blending the fender smoothly into the door due to tooling die draw limitations or some assembly issue. So narrowing the steel stamping a few mm was their only option. Then the plastic bits were required to cover the wheels. So yeah, "regulation," but really, either somebody didn't plan ahead when the G30 doors were being designed or somebody screwed something up on the G80.

Body designers are extremely anal about stuff like this, somebody at BMW definitely got their ass reamed because of this quarter panel. This isn't a "design choice" as much as it is a blatantly obvious fuck up.
      09-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #25
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRedline View Post
Quote:
legal requirement in Europe, but ok, let's complain
It looks like shit.

Sorry, not familiar with EU requirements and did not see any explanation for their presence in any of the articles yet.

Why is it missing from the F80? What changed? Why is it not on the M4?

Please enlighten us.
Looking at that and the crease/dent at the leading edge of the fender it looks like they had a lot of trouble blending the fender smoothly into the door due to tooling die draw limitations or some assembly issue. So narrowing the steel stamping a few mm was their only option. Then the plastic bits were required to cover the wheels. So yeah, "regulation," but really, either somebody didn't plan ahead when the G30 doors were being designed or somebody screwed something up on the G80.

Body designers are extremely anal about stuff like this, somebody at BMW definitely got their ass reamed because of this quarter panel. This isn't a "design choice" as much as it is a blatantly obvious fuck up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Quote:
No worries.

The Europeans, in their quest to ruin all the good things in the world, have introduced legislation that forces those little wings.
The M8 I think already had that.
It's some hogwash that the tire has to be completely covered from the top of the car

PS: I'm European
Couldn't they have just flared the fenders a little more? The M4 doesn't seem to have them.

I suppose an owner can remove them...
Mercedes has been adding tiny pieces of plastic to the rear bumper for years now, but it seems that this new regulation really came to play last year or so. The new AMG GT Black Series has them, although painted in body color.

If you look at all M2s produced for model year 2020, they all have these plastic bits. Around the whole perimeter of the wheel well. They had to add them to comply with the rules and not change tooling and manufacturing processes. The M2 is actually as wide as the Leipzig plant allows.

The body of the new M3 was done years ago, they can't just make changes to it now. It was said by a BMW guy in an interview that the rear fenders of the G80 M3 are as wide as possible without having to change manufacturing and deal with material issues.

Furthermore, the bits are easily removable.
      10-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #26
Mospeada
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M

ithought it had 275 front and 285 rear just like m8. but 19/20 combo and aspect ratio changes depends on wheel size? so even if you have 20/21 combo its still 275/285?
Appreciate 0