Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
Fallenangel123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is DCT

Is An M4 F80 Suitable for UK Weather?

Hey everyone, hope you are well!

I am currently driving an A45 AMG Stage 1 and am getting an itch for something new. The A45 is 4matic, and the way it just puts power down is insane. I previously have had several N54 cars which were FBO and I loved. I am thinking about getting an M4 F80, it seems like a great car. I do however have one major concern, and that is traction. What is the M4 Traction like in the UK? Will I constantly be having to feather the throttle, will the car try and step out on me if I am cruising at 60mph and try to go WOT?

If I do end up buying one the intention will be to run it on MPS4S Tyres, MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF Intercooler, SSR Intakes for circa (550bhp)
All input appreciated!

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

This generation M3/4 traction control is the most overly aggressive programmed out of any car I've ever owned. Coming from a stock B8.5 S4, it wasn't even close. S4 was quicker to 70MPH almost all the time. I didn't even bother driving it when roads were wet, wasn't even worth it or fun.

The torque surge when dry is awesome, but you are definitely not going to be able to just stomp and mash the throttle like in an AWD car.
      10-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

It's really not a problem with TC on if you don't floor it from standstill in the rain but it won't grip like a AWD car, far from it but that's the charm.
Appreciate 2
paliknight2191.50
MattRST109.50
      10-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

It's not gonna be like a 4 cylinder awd hatch.

That said a 4 cylinder awd hatch is not match for a tuned M4 in the dry.

You're gonna give up something for that 500HP mule kick to the face tuned M4 especially if it's DCT.

I've seen my TC light come on at 60 mph if I'm hot dogging the car.

Not a car you want to run TC off on public roads...

Yeah 550 HP mule kick to the face with horse shoes
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

If you floor floor it from over 40 mph you'll be fine just leave traction in MDM if it's wet/raining. Under 40 mph it needs to be dry, warm, warm tires etc if you have any chance at all of sticking. I've turned traction fully off and started fishtailing at 40 mph because it was cold and my tires were too, and hooked from 20 mph on street tires when it's warm. It's all about temps and weather. I'm in NY for reference.

With the car in MDM, feathering the throttle isn't necessary, MDM keeps you pretty safe unless you're going nuts
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenangel123 View Post
Hey everyone, hope you are well!

I am currently driving an A45 AMG Stage 1 and am getting an itch for something new. The A45 is 4matic, and the way it just puts power down is insane. I previously have had several N54 cars which were FBO and I loved. I am thinking about getting an M4 F80, it seems like a great car. I do however have one major concern, and that is traction. What is the M4 Traction like in the UK? Will I constantly be having to feather the throttle, will the car try and step out on me if I am cruising at 60mph and try to go WOT?

If I do end up buying one the intention will be to run it on MPS4S Tyres, MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF Intercooler, SSR Intakes for circa (550bhp)
All input appreciated!

Many Thanks

Oh my my. This topic makes little to no sense to me.
A stiff, rigid, 550hp M4 ??? And you’re asking about UK B roads and traction??

No way and it won’t be fun. Period

The A45 is a far better fit for this situation. The M4 will be a downgrade in every sense but wheel spin (and I don’t mean that in a good way) FWIW

Keep it

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals

Last edited by YKIGI; 10-13-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
Fallenangel123
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the input everyone. Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
need2boost
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW m4 SO

In my own personal opinion I can't imagine the M4 being much fun on wet B roads, even more so with ultra performance tires, I would stick to looking for something AWD.

If it were me and I wanted a coupe, i would seriously be looking at an Audi TTRS.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Why not check out an RS3 or RS5?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

I mean, i live in canada and daily drive it in the winter and it is a blast.

Definitely depends on what you want. We have semi similar climates but with the UK being more rainy and less cold somewhat depending where you are.

If you drive the car in warm weather in the dry everything is fine unless you are beating on it, the one thing i struggle with this car is the potential for it to slide mid corner and ive had it happen twice to me somewhat non progressively. Granted they were shit stock contis. Everything else about the car is progressive and should be easily managed.

In the rain though the car is a pain in the ass to drive, even in MDM barely into the throttle from a standstill i have had the back end kick out. It is actually easier to drive in the snow on snow tires as you know that it will slide everytime so you just drive sideways, counter-steer, rinse and repeat until you get to your destination.

I hate driving this car in rain out of any weather as it has a potential to hydroplane with extreme performance tires, it lacks grip, and the low end torque is just enough to make the car twitch but not enough to fully engage a controlled slide. So i find myself either driving like a grandma or constantly bucking the car back and forth cause of the TC.

If you want to make life tough most of the year and you are young enough to not care and don't give a fuck about passengers then sure get it, but if you spend most of your time in bad conditions especially rain i would pass.

If you get a lot of snow, get the M4 if you enjoy sliding around a lot.

My ideal day here in canada is waking up on a frigid sunday morning after a snow storm really early at around 6 30 am. No cars on the roads, not alot of side roads are snow ploughed. I hop in the car take traction control off put on some classical music and leave my house. I will drive sideways for as long as i possibly can playing with the pitch and angle of the car, seeing what nice shapes i can make, etc.

Sorry for the rambling, if you get alot of snow where you are get it, you won't regret it. This car is the most fun to drive in snow. If it is in rain then pass
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

Definitely depends on what you want. We have semi similar climates but with the UK being more rainy and less cold somewhat depending where you are.

If you drive the car in warm weather in the dry everything is fine unless you are beating on it, the one thing i struggle with this car is the potential for it to slide mid corner and ive had it happen twice to me somewhat non progressively. Granted they were shit stock contis. Everything else about the car is progressive and should be easily managed.

In the rain though the car is a pain in the ass to drive, even in MDM barely into the throttle from a standstill i have had the back end kick out. It is actually easier to drive in the snow on snow tires as you know that it will slide everytime so you just drive sideways, counter-steer, rinse and repeat until you get to your destination.

I hate driving this car in rain out of any weather as it has a potential to hydroplane with extreme performance tires, it lacks grip, and the low end torque is just enough to make the car twitch but not enough to fully engage a controlled slide. So i find myself either driving like a grandma or constantly bucking the car back and forth cause of the TC.

If you want to make life tough most of the year and you are young enough to not care and don't give a fuck about passengers then sure get it, but if you spend most of your time in bad conditions especially rain i would pass.

My ideal day here in canada is waking up on a frigid sunday morning after a snow storm really early at around 6 30 am. No cars on the roads, not alot of side roads are snow ploughed. I hop in the car take traction control off put on some classical music and leave my house. I will drive sideways for as long as i possibly can playing with the pitch and angle of the car, seeing what nice shapes i can make, etc.

Sorry for the rambling, if you get alot of snow where you are get it, you won't regret it. This car is the most fun to drive in snow. If it is in rain then pass
Quote:

Only thing I can speak To is rain performance.

I have a new set of Continental DWS 06 and they are PHENOMENAL in the rain.

Of course you can't drive 120 mph and rip through 3 inches of standing water.

I have driven 80+ in pouring rain and you could feel exactly what the tires were doing.

The wet grip is excellent.great in light snow

Even on twisty roads...

By far my favorite tire!!!

Has truly made my M a real all Season daily driver
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I have driven 80+ in pouring rain and you could feel exactly what the tires were doing.

Even on twisty roads...

Have not tried those to be fair, i used the conti extreme contacts and they were bad in rain.

Now i have potenza re71r and in mild rain they are amazing but horrible near standing water.

In the winter i use the michelin PA4 and they are so fun
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Even on twisty roads...

Have not tried those to be fair, i used the conti extreme contacts and they were bad in rain.

Now i have potenza re71r and in mild rain they are amazing but horrible near standing water.

In the winter i use the michelin PA4 and they are so fun
Quote:

The Dws is an all season so you give up the pure summer performance. On the street for how I drive they are fine.

I've had them on and run the car flat out. You just can't get the next level summer performance grip.

Drive like a human they are 100% fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #14
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Not to be nit-picky, but an M4 is an F82, not an F80. That said, the OP could look at an M340xi with AWD (380 HP) and with a tune, it'd be well over 400 HP and as much traction as conditions will allow. Doesn't matter how many driven wheels you have when roads are slick - it's how well your tires are able to grip the road surface.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3396.00
      10-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Simply put a UK winter is not equal to a Canadian winter especially in the prairies. We deal with tons of snow and ice and extreme cold and then a bunch of inbetween slush and freezing rain. in my experience this car handles it all on a set of dedicated winter tires. i have the pirelli sottozero 3's and from what you read / reviews there are better tires for ice/snow. nokians or PA4 / Xice3 or conti's are all great options. I have the pirelli's as they have the 'best' cold and dry traction and have the option of leaving my m3 in the garage on bad days and taking the SUV. My point though as I find these tires great in all conditions so can you drive an F80/82 etc. in the UK through winter. IMO easy fun yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #16
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

It all comes down to tires. If the car is on PSS or PS4, it sucks in the wet. Period.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #17
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Here is a "worse case" scenario where I hydroplaned. I was on PSSs IRC.

But there was a shit ton of water and it would have probably happened with any car.

I for one don't really see how it could *not* be suitable for UK...

2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:55 AM   #18
Fallenangel123
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for input. I went to view a M4 Convertible today and I am sold. I am sure my A45 does have better traction, but I feel like the M4 will be more of an event to drive. Plus I want those SSR intakes! haha
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:51 PM   #19
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Try the M4 stock for a while before you go crazy with upgrades. Floor it in MDM mode and see if you really want more power. 430HP in a RWD car is still a lot...
The MPS4S tyres will honestly be the best upgrade to start with, unless you just want to kill yourself

Also make sure the software is up to date. DSC and electronic diff behaviour was massively improved over older software which makes loss of traction much more predictable and controllable, you'll definitely want that for the rain.
Appreciate 0