Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #23
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Another round of great pics, can't get enough of these
Thanks Mark's M, I appreciate the compliment

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
2swift
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
2swift,

Sorry it took a while to answer your post.

1. Switzerland requires a vignette for their autobahns , its valid from Dec. 1st to Jan. 31th (14 months) and cost 40 Swiss francs. You can buy them at Post offices, petrol stations, garages, touring club offices (TCS) and Customs. You have to actually stick it to the inside of the windshield and in approved locations (tells you on back of vignette). In case of an inappropriate set up or missing vignette, you will be fined with an amount of 200 Swiss francs. In addition, a valid vignette must be bought immediately. Please be reminded that the police enforces the vignette on a regular basis. Here is the website with all this info http://www.vignette.ch, English tab top right.

2. Yes drove the whole pass, it's not that long. I did do all 4 passes (did not do start to finish on all) in one day and I would say it took about 4-6 hours driving but you can tailor the route you want to go. I will post a route map that I took when I can.

3. All the speed limits are posted clearly. Lot's of speed cams so I would highly recommend getting a GPS fixed speed cam detector. I have a Cheetah C150 and they come with free downloads for worldwide cams, so you can use it in the US. Its super small, I would say the size of a matchbox. They cost about $250 but this little baby will save you big time. They don't have a lot police cars or mobile speed traps set up in Switzerland. Here is the website to Cheetah if you are interested in something like that http://www.cheetahgps.co.uk/Cheetah_...Membership.php

4. The Chateau has a very large free parking lot and nobody bothered my car. The hotel is out of the way on top of the hill overlooking Lucerne. It was 333 Swiss francs/night. I personally would not stay there again. At that price I had very high expectations. The hotel itself is wonderful but the staff was crap. Only thing physically wrong with the hotel is they have a "Gutsch-bahn" basically a tram/elevator that takes you up and down the hill, this unfortunately was broken. The walk was about 2 miles to the center which is not bad going down in the morning but hiking up the hill and probably 1000 steps late afternoon was a bit rough. No AC in the hotel either, but that Switzerland.

Hope this helps
Thanks so much...I sincerely appreciate your response. Regarding the vignette, since I'll be driving from Austria and into Switzerland, do you think they'll have Customs station at the border? If so, hopefully I can purchase it there and, if not, I'll search for the nearest petrol station once I cross!

Will definitely look into speed cams and other hotel options

Hopefully you can post your route map for the passesl!

Thanks again!
2014 Porsche 991 C2S - SOLD!
2011.5 E92 M3 6MT - SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 04:06 AM   #25
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
Thanks so much...I sincerely appreciate your response. Regarding the vignette, since I'll be driving from Austria and into Switzerland, do you think they'll have Customs station at the border? If so, hopefully I can purchase it there and, if not, I'll search for the nearest petrol station once I cross!

Will definitely look into speed cams and other hotel options

Hopefully you can post your route map for the passesl!

Thanks again!
2swift,

There is usually a petrol station around every autobahn entrance and border crossing, the ones right before you leave Austria sell it as well, so look before you cross. I personally wouldn't stop at the customs station as it gives the "5-0" an opportunity to ask questions. My advice get it at a petrol station.

There are many nice hotels in Lucerne just use booking.com or trip advisor to get the good bogey dope.

On the Cheetah, if you didn't want to keep it, I'm sure you could sell it on this forum to the next guy right behind you doing a ED.

Here is the route I took and I know I previously posted this (in a written version) either on this thread or one of my other ones so you can check there. On the map the passes are the left right before Andermatt to Wassen.

EDIT - here is the written directions:

Drove N/NW into Switzerland and all the passes. Head on E35 (Blue route 2) towards Andermatt get off before Andermatt and head towards Realp on the Furka pass. This then turns into the Grimsel Pass, continue on road heading towards InnertKirchen, take a right in the town towards Wassen and this now turns into the Susten pass (which was our absolute favorite pass).

Again glad to help!

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #26
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Beautiful vistas. Looks to be a fun drive!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Beautiful vistas. Looks to be a fun drive!
It definitely was a great drive, appreciate the comment!

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #28
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Here is the link from last week's trip from Grossglockner Austria to Lake Bled.

Lake Maggiore Italy was absolutely Bellissimo!

I must say of the four passes we took today;

St Bernard
Furka
Grimsel
Susten (Inertkirchen to Wassen)

Susten was the most amazing!!!!!!

I had the go pro on the outside for all four passes and will post to YouTube when i get a chance. The roads were practically empty for some awesome switchback driving.

Landed in Lucerne this evening.

Here are this week's photos.

What is the location of that hotel? I could not find it in google. The one that says Gletscher Restaurant.

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #29
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918
Quote:
Here is the link from last week's trip from Grossglockner Austria to Lake Bled.

Lake Maggiore Italy was absolutely Bellissimo!

I must say of the four passes we took today;

St Bernard
Furka
Grimsel
Susten (Inertkirchen to Wassen)

Susten was the most amazing!!!!!!

I had the go pro on the outside for all four passes and will post to YouTube when i get a chance. The roads were practically empty for some awesome switchback driving.

Landed in Lucerne this evening.

Here are this week's photos.

What is the location of that hotel? I could not find it in google. The one that says Gletscher Restaurant.

Thanks.
It's the Hotel Belvédère Furka, you can google it

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
2swift
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
2swift,

There is usually a petrol station around every autobahn entrance and border crossing, the ones right before you leave Austria sell it as well, so look before you cross. I personally wouldn't stop at the customs station as it gives the "5-0" an opportunity to ask questions. My advice get it at a petrol station.

There are many nice hotels in Lucerne just use booking.com or trip advisor to get the good bogey dope.

On the Cheetah, if you didn't want to keep it, I'm sure you could sell it on this forum to the next guy right behind you doing a ED.

Here is the route I took and I know I previously posted this (in a written version) either on this thread or one of my other ones so you can check there. On the map the passes are the left right before Andermatt to Wassen.

EDIT - here is the written directions:

Drove N/NW into Switzerland and all the passes. Head on E35 (Blue route 2) towards Andermatt get off before Andermatt and head towards Realp on the Furka pass. This then turns into the Grimsel Pass, continue on road heading towards InnertKirchen, take a right in the town towards Wassen and this now turns into the Susten pass (which was our absolute favorite pass).

Again glad to help!

Airpower, great info! Thanks for the taking the time to upload your map as well. I booked a hotel less than a mile from yours, closer to the lake and will be staying there for 3 days/2 nights. Definitely looking forward to enjoying the lake. I'll be sure to allow a day to tackle the passes

Noted on the toll passes at the petrol stations leaving Austria! Thanks!
2014 Porsche 991 C2S - SOLD!
2011.5 E92 M3 6MT - SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #31
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
Airpower, great info! Thanks for the taking the time to upload your map as well. I booked a hotel less than a mile from yours, closer to the lake and will be staying there for 3 days/2 nights. Definitely looking forward to enjoying the lake. I'll be sure to allow a day to tackle the passes

Noted on the toll passes at the petrol stations leaving Austria! Thanks!
Awesome Brother! There is a 3 hour cruise that is great to take (its the cruise boat that looks uber modern compared to the other ones) that is really nice to take.

Look up free walking tours Lucerne on line, we took one it was great, it's english speaking and the on-line site has all the days/times they start. It's usually conducted by college students majoring in history at the University. We tipped her 20 euros and 10 Swiss Francs.

There is a great fondue restaurant that is right on the river, its in the series of restaurants on the right hand side (with the lake to your back) that is just past the second bridge past the chapel bridge. Ask the guide about the best fondue restaurant and they will point you in the right direction. It's in the old town.

There is also a local brewery around the corner from that place that is cool.

It's a great city and you will love it

Appreciate 0