Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
No real reason is BMW safety concerns of high powered car collection on wrong side of the road customers. Hence all US and Europeans can do it.

Never been too chuffed about this.

PS Yes I know Porsche do it and Merc used or still do, heard they were stopping after a customer from UK wrote off a car ... again...
I can confirm that 100% no shadow of a doubt that Porsche and Mercedes have also stopped doing this too for their UK customers. It's pretty annoying.
Damn.
      06-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #24
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
Okay, I have the answer! If you have diplomatic status then....

"You can take delivery of your BMW anywhere where BMW has a presence – and with a global network of over 3,500 dealers, that means pretty much anywhere on the planet. Alternatively, why not turn the delivery of your BMW into an unforgettable day out for you and your family by collecting it in person from BMW Welt in Munich?"

Seriously though, surely this proves that collection from Welt is possible for UK customers but just not offered? Incidentally, it's BMW Park Lane who are the UK agent for diplomatic sales.

Wonder how easy it is to obtain diplomatic status?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 03:41 AM   #25
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Porsche still has the option to collect your car from Stuttgart.

I was pretty close in purchasing the Macan Turbo, but went for the M3 F80 instead.. as Porsche could not give me a definite built date.
      06-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #26
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
just drive to Munich - its a great drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #27
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmarina View Post
Porsche still has the option to collect your car from Stuttgart.

I was pretty close in purchasing the Macan Turbo, but went for the M3 F80 instead.. as Porsche could not give me a definite built date.
When was this? I was making enquiries around July last year. The factory collection wasn't an option at that point in time and it seemed I'd just missed out as they still had it advertised on the Porsche website.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #28
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
just drive to Munich - its a great drive.
I'll probably be doing this
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So I did some more digging and here's what I've found:-

Order new vehicle from BMW dealership in Germany. As long as it's right hand drive, speedo is in mph and fog light is in right hand rear light cluster (if not both) then the car is to UK specs.

Collect car from Welt. Should have temp plates on it. Drive back to UK. Call company that deal with vehicle import and for £500 they will sort all paperwork to register it in UK and get UK plates.

Need to be able to get car tax free from Germany as you also have to pay tax when registering in the UK. Can claim tax back from Germany but would have to foot the bill until it's returned. This coupled with the fact that the German dealership will want paying up front would be a big hit.

I'm sure there are ways around these issues so I'll keep pressing forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:25 AM   #30
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
So I did some more digging and here's what I've found:-

Order new vehicle from BMW dealership in Germany. As long as it's right hand drive, speedo is in mph and fog light is in right hand rear light cluster (if not both) then the car is to UK specs.

Collect car from Welt. Should have temp plates on it. Drive back to UK. Call company that deal with vehicle import and for £500 they will sort all paperwork to register it in UK and get UK plates.

Need to be able to get car tax free from Germany as you also have to pay tax when registering in the UK. Can claim tax back from Germany but would have to foot the bill until it's returned. This coupled with the fact that the German dealership will want paying up front would be a big hit.

I'm sure there are ways around these issues so I'll keep pressing forward.
Wow.. sounds like a big chore.. just buy your car here and drive to Munich once run-in.

Lot easier..

Then again..

06-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #31
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I think that last one is the big hit. Downsides of a pseudo union of the EU.
I've been told buying tax free shouldn't be a big deal for the dealership to arrange. It's the upfront funding that could be the issue but I have some ideas for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #32
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow.. sounds like a big chore.. just buy your car here and drive to Munich once run-in.

Lot easier..

Then again..

No!! I will do the factory collection. I've been planning this for years. It's for my 40th. So pissed off that BMW UK don't offer this and are unwilling to help

I'm stubborn so will see this through to the point of either collecting my car or knowing there was no possible way of doing it. Right now there is a chance and isn't that complicated. Just some big questions that need answering.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #33
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
No!! I will do the factory collection. I've been planning this for years. It's for my 40th. So pissed off that BMW UK don't offer this and are unwilling to help

I'm stubborn so will see this through to the point of either collecting my car or knowing there was no possible way of doing it. Right now there is a chance and isn't that complicated. Just some big questions that need answering.
If you can hang on for a year + or so, once the ZCP is available I might be interested in joining you...
      06-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #34
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you can hang on for a year + or so, once the ZCP is available I might be interested in joining you...
At the moment I'm aiming for May next year as its my 40th and wanted the car to help me feel better about it .

Who knows what will change between now and then though. Let's see what happens and maybe, if things don't go according to plan for me, we could arrange something.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #35
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

A major issue is the warranty.

The factory gives 1 year only. Additional waranties are provided on a location basis.

The warranty we get in the UK is provided by BMW UK, not BMW AG. BMW UK only warranty cars that THEY have procured AND imported. So until euro-pick-up is a fully sanctioned BMW UK product it won't work warranty wise.

Also there are regulatory issues in Germany with providing temporary registration on vehicles not built for use on the right hand side of the road.

As said we don't live far enough away to make it worth while.

US customers drop the car off at an agreed location to get it re shipped to the US, where it will be re registered too. They have to pay extra for all that as well.

Last edited by doughboy; 06-23-2015 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #36
MikeG21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G31 520d

Collect new from Germany

As a matter of interest BMW Park Lane is or was the only UK dealer actually owned by BMW or so I was told by someone who used to work there.
Appreciate 0