European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
Code out Active Sound + is the sound a live recording played back?

Hi folks, I have a new M4 competition on order.

I have been reading a bit about the Active Sound which plays through the speakers.

My 6 series I understand also plays engine / exhaust sounds back through the speakers. I've never been keen on the idea.

In the M4 I have read it's not a digital file that is played however it is a genuine live recording of engine/exhaust noises. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I also watched a video of someone unplugging the cable to the a which takes noises from from exhaust. They they played a before and after. I preferred the sound without active sound

I have also seen references to being able to "Code out Active Sound" Has anyone done this? Is it easily done?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1051323
      03-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

The way it works is similar to FMOD in various racing video games. There's a short loopable audio file of 'on load' and another for 'coasting' that is pitched/sped up to match the RPM, with volume modulation thrown in too.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Hi, ASD AFAIK is just a synth with a waveform sampled from an S55 engine (but not your S55 engine). However bear in mind it is designed to emulate induction noise so is quite high frequency and irritated me even though it does kinda sound cool sometimes. There is a very obvious on/off point with light throttle that I couldn't cope with.

It is incredibly easy to code off if you get all the software working and the cables etc. there is loads on the web for it but it is a bit of a faff initially. Once set up it is a breeze.

I coded mine off and it is still far from quiet ... the stock exhaust (with flaps open) is pretty loud and the engine screams fine at high revs - you just lose some volume at low revs when engine not loaded ... which frankly is quite helpful

Plus I genuinely believe it messes with the sound quality when listening to music. I have the HK set up and am much happier with it now I've turned off ASD.

I turned it back on for a bit to be sure ... but its off for good now.

Hope that helps,

Richard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Some of us have simply bought the bimmerlink app together with a wireless dongle. Can turn off the ASD and also control exhaust flaps if you want to.

Much better with it switched off IMO.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 3
      03-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Yep Bimmerlink probably easier than messing around with e-sys ... I'm an ex coding geek (computers not cars) and it was still a bit of 'mare.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Some of us have simply bought the bimmerlink app together with a wireless dongle. Can turn off the ASD and also control exhaust flaps if you want to.

Much better with it switched off IMO.
Hi thanks for posting this. I've never heard of Bimmerlink. I googled and see an app for apple. This looks promising. Where can you buy the wireless dongle? Is it specifically for Bimmerlink? + where do you plug the wireless dongle into? It's easy to setup? If you have a link please post back.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermack View Post
Hi thanks for posting this. I've never heard of Bimmerlink. I googled and see an app for apple. This looks promising. Where can you buy the wireless dongle? Is it specifically for Bimmerlink? + where do you plug the wireless dongle into? It's easy to setup? If you have a link please post back.

Thanks
I bought this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then the bimmerlink app.

Plug the dongle into the odb2 port which is near the bonnet opening latch. Fire up the app and connect to the dongle wirelessly (not Bluetooth with that dongle). When you are done changing settings, unplug the dongle.

Once you've turned the ASD off, it stays off, well it does for me. Some have reported they have to leave the dongle plugged it as the car losses the settings, but I've not found this at all. Maybe the older cars don't hold settings, no idea.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 03:17 AM   #9
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I unplugged mine in the boot (need HK sound) just after I took delivery.
I had to plug it back in when the car went in for the RiS (in case it needed a software update) - jeez I had forgotten what a horrible droning noise it made.
Appreciate 2
RKR278.50
      03-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
RKR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Definitely sounds alot better with it turned off. The M3 courtesy car I was running had it and I had forgotten just how fake it really sounded.

I unplugged mine from the boot also as per above
      03-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm another in the unplugged camp, but I must say I didn't unplug it until after RIS and my exhaust mod.

I actually wondered if it does live sound sampling because with the exhaust modded the active sound became truly horrible. Drony, boomy and really quite intrusive.
Initially I wondered if the exhaust mod had a problem or just wasn't for me..... Then I remembered I hadn't yet disconnected the active sound and got into the boot to get it done.
It was literally like driving a different car immediately afterwards! Much quieter but also better sound. I love the exhaust mod now. I actually believe it is quieter and less drony than the stock car setup from in cabin. But with the added bonus of sounding savage when you get on the throttle
It may just have been that the sampled sound happened to clash with the actual exhaust tone making it all sound like an ungodly mess but it was definitely not nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think I've got used to it these days, the first test drive I was taken aback by the "sound" it was just a wall of noise and not very nice, but I really don't notice it anymore.
      03-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Quote:
Hi folks, I have a new M4 competition on order.

I have been reading a bit about the Active Sound which plays through the speakers.

My 6 series I understand also plays engine / exhaust sounds back through the speakers. I've never been keen on the idea.

In the M4 I have read it's not a digital file that is played however it is a genuine live recording of engine/exhaust noises. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I also watched a video of someone unplugging the cable to the a which takes noises from from exhaust. They they played a before and after. I preferred the sound without active sound

I have also seen references to being able to "Code out Active Sound" Has anyone done this? Is it easily done?

Thanks for your help
Hey man so I have a ZCP and I that was on my list of plans as well.

In the ZCP active sound is either not a thing or it's barely noticeable... there's no sound from the exhaust outputting from the speakers within the cabin. Ive got the bummer link app as well and turned ASD off just in case it was present and I didn't notice it. No difference. I wouldn't waste the time or wait until you get your ZCP before you start buying modules, or anything t turn ASD off
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I ain't got my M4 yet however I purchased a iCar Vgate OBD + downloaded the app for my iphone. I then plugged it into my 6 series Gran Coupe. It's possibly the best purchase I have made for my 6 series. With one click on my iphone I turned off the ASD. What difference. I much prefer it. Each to their own whether they like the sound off or on. I much prefer to hear the genuine sound and not have the cabin filled with an electronic noise. I can still hear the engine when I push the car. If I'm not the cabin is much quieter. What an improvement. It also stays off after I turned the car off and on. I will definitely use this in my M4. BMW really should of given owners the option to turn the sound on or off. You can do this on a Golf R. Thanks for your help guys ! :-)
Appreciate 1
dopper993511.00
      03-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Unplugged mine as well, takes 10 mins
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I ain't got my M4 yet however I purchased a iCar Vgate OBD + downloaded the app for my iphone. I then plugged it into my 6 series Gran Coupe. It's possibly the best purchase I have made for my 6 series. With one click on my iphone I turned off the ASD. What difference. I much prefer it. Each to their own whether they like the sound off or on. I much prefer to hear the genuine sound and not have the cabin filled with an electronic noise. I can still hear the engine when I push the car. If I'm not the cabin is much quieter. What an improvement. It also stays off after I turned the car off and on. I will definitely use this in my M4. BMW really should of given owners the option to turn the sound on or off. You can do this on a Golf R. Thanks for your help guys ! :-)
Good stuff, glad you're happy with it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #17
Dirtyy4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Has anyone coded it out using e-sys?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #18
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyy4 View Post
BimmerCode for coding, it's child's play.
      02-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #19
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyy4 View Post
I used Esys on my first M4 but Bimmercode/bimmerlink is miles easier and haven't used esys on my second M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #20
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

PCW Exhaust mod was all the sound modifying I needed
Appreciate 0