BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

10-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3

Noise from rear?

Hey guys,

For the last year or 2 ive had a noise from the rear happen when going over bumps, ( speeds do not matter, it can be at 20mph or 75mph )

The dealership cant seem to figure it out and im hoping to get some feedback here if its normal or if anyone has experience with this issue,
the rear shocks have been replaced by bmw and after that they told me its just a normal noise and acceptable by BMW.

It sounds like a compression noise while going over the bumps like a PSHHHH sound if that makes sense.

Wondering if anyone has some feedback or what it could be? anyone experience the same thing at all? maybe bushings if they will make a noise like that?

I had clubsports on my old f82 m4 and never had this issue.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
Hey guys,

For the last year or 2 ive had a noise from the rear happen when going over bumps, ( speeds do not matter, it can be at 20mph or 75mph )

The dealership cant seem to figure it out and im hoping to get some feedback here if its normal or if anyone has experience with this issue,
the rear shocks have been replaced by bmw and after that they told me its just a normal noise and acceptable by BMW.

It sounds like a compression noise while going over the bumps like a PSHHHH sound if that makes sense.

Wondering if anyone has some feedback or what it could be? anyone experience the same thing at all? maybe bushings if they will make a noise like that?

Thanks!
Yep, normal on mine since the first day of ownership. It's awesome... That and the friction sound of the pads connecting with the discs when rolling to a slow stop. Because the GTS is lacking a back seat, sound deadening. Let's everything in.

Another reminder you're not in a normal car, recommended -- install a 6 pt harness and at certain rpm the exhaust vibration transfers through the cage, down the belts into your shoulders & chest.

Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Yep, normal on mine since the first day of ownership. It's awesome... That and the friction sound of the pads connecting with the discs when rolling to a slow stop. Because the GTS is lacking a back seat, sound deadening. Let's everything in.

Another reminder you're not in a normal car, recommended -- install a 6 pt harness and at certain rpm the exhaust vibration transfers through the cage, down the belts into your shoulders & chest.
LOL

I have the euro buckets currently, will eventually do the harnesses,

We have Jrz 3 ways in the gfs e92 m3 and it doesn't make any noises, fully gutted, ill just keep the radio loader I guess

just wanted to see everyones feedback here as the few owners I asked said they dont have any noises
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL

I have the euro buckets currently, will eventually do the harnesses,

We have Jrz 3 ways in the gfs e92 m3 and it doesn't make any noises, fully gutted, ill just keep the radio loader I guess

just wanted to see everyones feedback here as the few owners I asked said they dont have any noises
Yeah, I've heard it from day one -- took ownership @ 800 miles. Specifically with compression over bumps, just as you describe it. FWIW, hear the same w/ compression on mountain bike suspensions.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Yup heard mine on day one. It made me happy. Not sure why upset you. That's the sound of a raw car
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Yup heard mine on day one. It made me happy. Not sure why upset you. That's the sound of a raw car
It didnt start making it until about a year, so when a new noise popped up I wasn't happy.

If its normal its fine, but because it wasn't there before it concerned me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Watch from 1:18

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Yup, mine makes the same noises, including the CCB grinding noise when semi-coasting to a stop with light pedal pressure. Can't hear the fronts, but the rear noises come through pretty loud and clear when not under throttle.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It didnt start making it until about a year, so when a new noise popped up I wasn't happy.

Understandable. Fair enough. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Understandable. Fair enough. Enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Yup, mine makes the same noises, including the CCB grinding noise when semi-coasting to a stop with light pedal pressure. Can't hear the fronts, but the rear noises come through pretty loud and clear when not under throttle.
I actually don't mind the ceramic noise, go figure

Thanks for all the feedback guys, just wanted to confirm it's normal
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
The NC Professor
TNCP - 2016 F80 /// M3
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 /// M3

I have a noise but....

I have a noise... but I believe it's a stone or pebble not stone related. I'm sure this is nor the post for this but it's still a pain in the rear. It's "only" scrapes when I turn the wheel to the right in a curve or make a hard turn. It is coming from the left rear wheel.

After initially hearing it I pulled over and pulled the rotor with a slight tug yesterday and heard a stone release... then the scraping continued. Very weird.

Terrible...
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #12
Stage1
Curiosity Killed the Cat
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [8.00]
2016 Cayman GT4  [0.00]
2016 Wrangler  [0.00]
I have the same sound in the rear over hard bumps. Seems mostly to be on the driver side but either way...race car

I'M BACK - 2016 M4 GTS
I'M BACK AGAIN - 2021 M4 COMP FPB
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #13
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Same noises here.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0