proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #23
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
What's your sound source? AM/FM? HD radio? CD? Sat? Bluetooth from your iPod or phone? Bit compression? FLAC?

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #24
Chud777
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
What's your sound source? AM/FM? HD radio? CD? Sat? Bluetooth from your iPod or phone? Bit compression? FLAC?
Lossless audio played from my iPhone XS Max.
Still buy CDs and burn at full quality/true kbps so I know that is not the issue.

Same songs I route through my home setup with tube amp and audiophile headphones so I have complete confidence in the source material.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud777 View Post
Lossless audio played from my iPhone XS Max.
Still buy CDs and burn at full quality/true kbps so I know that is not the issue.

Same songs I route through my home setup with tube amp and audiophile headphones so I have complete confidence in the source material.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure that you weren't an "audiophile" listening to a 192 kbps source using Bluetooth from your iPhone.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #26
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

I installed these today. Had them in my 2015 as well
They sound great.
I notice they have changed the grill slightly and added some ‘venting’
Attached Images

2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
TechnoSeanSK
TechGeek / Foodie / BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2019 F83 M4 / 2016 F15 X5

Yep. I couldn't agree more. I love my f83 that I got in October but the sound blows and I haven't decided on the bav sound or not yet. Does it make a big difference? My wife's 2016 x5 sounds infinitely better.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #28
HandlerFahrer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud777 View Post
Literally am FUMING. Just picked up 2019 M4 vert from trading in my 2016 coupe and WOW. The subwoofers are almost nonexistent. My old coupe sounded SO incredible and I was assured from rep that the same system came in the vert. Nope.

Terrible subs under the seats and just an all around muted sound. Being an audiophile this was insanely important to me and I've unfortunately just spent 85k to feel extremely underwhelmed.

Give me back my 2016. Anyone want an M4 w 50miles on it cheap cheap?

Never been so disappointed in my life so looking to find out why the bass is just a joke in this car.... any info is appreciated.
Oh heck yeah!!! Thank you for this thread! I now know that I am not losing my mind!! Reading all of your posts (Chud777) it literally sounds like I wrote them myself. I sold my 2015 Gran Coupe because I hated the steering and how boring it was to drive but I couldn't get enough of the Harmon Kardon stereo system. That thing was the best stereo I've ever heard..I couldn't find one fault with it and I'm def an audiophile. Fast forward 5 years...couldn't wait to get an M and just as important - get back to that bad ass stereo...but I ended up with a convertible M4.... the second I got in the car I had all my EQ settings photo'd on my phone and I set it all up, turned it on and was like WTF??!!! Where is the bass, why do the highs actually hurt my ears!? Surely this is my imagination right?? I just must have elevated my expectations...

Nope - after a month I decided to do some R&D. I rented a 2018 Gran Coupe for a day and parked it right next to my M conv. It took all of 2 seconds to see how INSANELY different the tune was. It has nothing to do with the missing 4 parcel shelf speakers. In the testing I faded completely to the front only and it's all about the TUNE and the BASS. The highs/mids all blend together and literally sit on top of the dashboard with perfection. The conv is shrill and the highs come out of the tweeters more than the center and mids and its a noisy mess that you leave the car with hurting ears. The Bass is like an AM radio and like you said - in non-conv the bass is literally forced out from under the seats into the cabin. I never found that there was any lack of bass ever in the non-conv...in fact on some songs i had to turn it DOWN. It's day and night and I'm so upset just like you are.

I also came to your conclusion that it must be the coding of convertible vs coupe in the head unit or amp or whatever. I had someone try and code the car as a coupe to both head unit and amp and I fully expected this to work...I am so disappointed that it didn't. The speakers, amp, head unit, all the materials are the same so it's got to be something with electronic tuning..

So...reaching out to see if anyone has had any success to get this nasty demoted convertible tune to be that of the standard cars?? Now I know I'm not the only one suffering here. This is definitely a case of BMW overthinking something...I'm assuming they think with the top down, you need this extra shrill high sound to overcome the wind noise and less bass so you can't blow the speakers cranking it up?? Makes no sense because the standard coupe sound is so superior and would have no issue with the top down..it's just a disaster that they did this.

Did you get ahold of customer service, talk to anyone, figured any solution out? (from one audiophile to another - please help!)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:05 AM   #29
HandlerFahrer
Rep

Thought I would circle back to give THE SOLUTION!! Thanks to "Code My Bimmer" I was able to get this fixed. I couldn't believe it when it actually happened...so happy. We were able to get the amp to code to a Gran Coupe F34 setting and I couldn't be happier. This was the car that I tested against and the car I owned for a year.

This is how it went down: First as indicated above we coded to an F82 coupe, coding the head unit and amp to this. I didn't get the impression that much changed so I slept on it. I almost wasn't going to try again, but just couldn't believe that this didn't work because there just couldn't be another explanation. So, I met with Code my Bimmer again and suggested we change the ASD as well (we hadn't touched that the 1st time). I also thought that maybe the Gran Coupe setting would make a diff. So we coded the ASD to F82 and the Amp to F34 (Gran Coupe) and the head unit to F82. It friggin' worked like a charm...instantly could tell that something changed because the rear seat speakers became the front door speaker of the Gran coupe (which are basically only surround now). The bass came back! The highs blended out and sound way better...It's all good. Only thing I will need to do now is move the channel at the wire harness of the amp. I will need to make the rear speakers equivalent to the rear parcel speakers in the Gran Coupe in order to get full sound through them and also I lost the rear parking sound as it must get piped through the rear parcel channel.

I am going to add two factory door tweeters and keep them as the surround and mount them in the upper portion of rear door panel so they mirror the position of the Gran Coupe in the rear doors because you can hear them from the back of the car very well as they are near your ears, pointed up and the highs bounce off the glass and fill the car with awesome surround... I'll post photos of this someday. I believe that the Gran Coupe is yet a slightly different tune than the regular coupes so this is why I went this route. (the sound in the Gran just feels more elevated and just a small step up...sorta goes in line with the whole interior of that car feeling a step up)

I do wish that I could try one more time and code to an F82 Amp AND ASD to see if it would work this time but I'm so happy with this it would only be informational. The point here is that the tune def can be messed with!

So in analyzing things further...now I do understand why BMW coded the vert differently. When you put the top down things change pretty dramatically... there is a lot more bass and when driving at 50+ on the highway, the highs do need a little more presence. So, actually I think BMW did a good job on the tune for top down but the second that top goes up...it's a complete train wreck! So, I'd rather have this tune and then just turn the bass down and highs up when I drop the top. I can easily fix that, but can't fix it the other way. Since BMW likes to over engineer things...they should have had the tune switch when the top dropped!! Or, it would be nice to have 2 EQ settings where you could just switch it yourself.

Anyway hope this helps others that might feel this pain. If you have any questions, I'm definitely down to give more detail.
Appreciate 1
2sl0w1.50
      07-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #30
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
I'm definitely interested - do you know what parameters were coded? And do you know how it would work with ASD turned off? I'd assume it'd be better still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlerFahrer View Post
Thought I would circle back to give THE SOLUTION!! Thanks to "Code My Bimmer" I was able to get this fixed. I couldn't believe it when it actually happened...so happy. We were able to get the amp to code to a Gran Coupe F34 setting and I couldn't be happier. This was the car that I tested against and the car I owned for a year.

This is how it went down: First as indicated above we coded to an F82 coupe, coding the head unit and amp to this. I didn't get the impression that much changed so I slept on it. I almost wasn't going to try again, but just couldn't believe that this didn't work because there just couldn't be another explanation. So, I met with Code my Bimmer again and suggested we change the ASD as well (we hadn't touched that the 1st time). I also thought that maybe the Gran Coupe setting would make a diff. So we coded the ASD to F82 and the Amp to F34 (Gran Coupe) and the head unit to F82. It friggin' worked like a charm...instantly could tell that something changed because the rear seat speakers became the front door speaker of the Gran coupe (which are basically only surround now). The bass came back! The highs blended out and sound way better...It's all good. Only thing I will need to do now is move the channel at the wire harness of the amp. I will need to make the rear speakers equivalent to the rear parcel speakers in the Gran Coupe in order to get full sound through them and also I lost the rear parking sound as it must get piped through the rear parcel channel.

I am going to add two factory door tweeters and keep them as the surround and mount them in the upper portion of rear door panel so they mirror the position of the Gran Coupe in the rear doors because you can hear them from the back of the car very well as they are near your ears, pointed up and the highs bounce off the glass and fill the car with awesome surround... I'll post photos of this someday. I believe that the Gran Coupe is yet a slightly different tune than the regular coupes so this is why I went this route. (the sound in the Gran just feels more elevated and just a small step up...sorta goes in line with the whole interior of that car feeling a step up)

I do wish that I could try one more time and code to an F82 Amp AND ASD to see if it would work this time but I'm so happy with this it would only be informational. The point here is that the tune def can be messed with!

So in analyzing things further...now I do understand why BMW coded the vert differently. When you put the top down things change pretty dramatically... there is a lot more bass and when driving at 50+ on the highway, the highs do need a little more presence. So, actually I think BMW did a good job on the tune for top down but the second that top goes up...it's a complete train wreck! So, I'd rather have this tune and then just turn the bass down and highs up when I drop the top. I can easily fix that, but can't fix it the other way. Since BMW likes to over engineer things...they should have had the tune switch when the top dropped!! Or, it would be nice to have 2 EQ settings where you could just switch it yourself.

Anyway hope this helps others that might feel this pain. If you have any questions, I'm definitely down to give more detail.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 07:19 AM   #31
SoundQ2
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche 911, 18 BMW M4 Cab

I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from.

I know this is an old post but if you're still searching, I have some advice.

I also come from a audiophile background regarding car audio competition.

Anyway to improve the sound it will not be cheap. The BEST way to do it would be replace the amp with an Alpha one (BimmerTech) OR replace most if not all of the speakers. Both of those options are about $1K each.

I have changed the EQ setting from HK to B&O (using BimmerCode) and it improved it some. But still lacking bass.

If you're going to keep the car for a while and/or drive it a lot, I'd invest in replacing the speakers first and talk with BimmerTech (I do not work for them and this is not an advertisement but I do recommend them as they have a lot of experience and plug and play options...for a price).

Good luck.

OMG...sorry I MEANT to post this on a different topic/post...F83 M4 vert sound quality issue... Don't know how I got here.

I didn't see the 2nd page of the post...The guy before me was able to "code" it better...I only changed it from HK to B&O... not much difference...I'll see if I can code it like he did with BimmerCode...may not be possible.

SORRY

Last edited by SoundQ2; 02-21-2024 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Didn't see the 2nd page when I wrote this.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:32 PM   #32
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundQ2 View Post
I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from.

I know this is an old post but if you're still searching, I have some advice.

I also come from a audiophile background regarding car audio competition.

Anyway to improve the sound it will not be cheap. The BEST way to do it would be replace the amp with an Alpha one (BimmerTech) OR replace most if not all of the speakers. Both of those options are about $1K each.

I have changed the EQ setting from HK to B&O (using BimmerCode) and it improved it some. But still lacking bass.

If you're going to keep the car for a while and/or drive it a lot, I'd invest in replacing the speakers first and talk with BimmerTech (I do not work for them and this is not an advertisement but I do recommend them as they have a lot of experience and plug and play options...for a price).

Good luck.

OMG...sorry I MEANT to post this on a different topic/post...F83 M4 vert sound quality issue... Don't know how I got here.

I didn't see the 2nd page of the post...The guy before me was able to "code" it better...I only changed it from HK to B&O... not much difference...I'll see if I can code it like he did with BimmerCode...may not be possible.

SORRY
Bimmertech are swinging a new 1.2 kilowatt amp I see (2024 ) 😀

Trust me ….. it’s a great sounding amp / dsp combo, ton of power. Dedicated channel for trunk sub as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:29 AM   #33
WhiteFox
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Mine is totally fine and bass is good as well and sounds great. Maybe something is blown or amp issue? Bimmertech do a full amp and speaker kit if it’s bothering you that much.
Appreciate 0