Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Turner Polyurethane Rear Shifter Bushing - Review

So I finally installed this Turner Rear Shifter Bushing for the 6MT after having it sit on my shelf for ages (I even forgot about it at some point). To be blunt, the difference is barely perceptible. There "might" be a little bit more a "click" sound/feel now, but honestly, if I didn't know to look for it, I wouldn't have noticed. The one thing I did notice was the sound. The transmission whine is now more pronounced; which to me, is a bad thing.

Some of you may know my various adventures with Short Shift Kits. Right now, I have a Rogue Engineering SSK installed. It is fine. Other SSKs I've run are the UUC and CAE Ultra Shifter. Which leads me back to the transmission whine. No SSK on the planet felt better than the CAE shifter, but the reason why I went to Rogue Engineering is because the ungodly amount of transmission whine sound that the CAE shifter introduced into the cabin of the car. At first, it's really cool sounding and introduced a lot of track drama into the commute. What I didn't anticipate is how annoying it would get after a while; like your sibling constantly poking your head when you're trying to meditate. Well, this Turner Rear Shifter Bushing reintroduced a tiny bit (stress on the tiny amount) of the transmission whine but without any of the benefits of the CAE shifter. There might be some benefit, but again, it's hardly noticeable; at least not in proportion to the newly introduced whining sound -- which are both tiny.

I realize that the difference in feel may be more pronounce on a stock shifter, as the 6MT feels really sloppy/rubbery from the factory, but if you already have a SSK, it's okay to forego the Poly Rear Shifter Bushing.

My opinion.

Appreciate 4
      10-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I also have the Rogue SSK (which I think I went with a couple years back based on your posts).

When I saw the posts on this Turner bushing start floating around, I decided to email Rogue and see what they thought about adding this to their SSK setup, and their one-sentence response was: "That TMS bushing will not help."
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
So I finally installed this Turner Rear Shifter Bushing for the 6MT after having it sit on my shelf for ages (I even forgot about it at some point). To be blunt, the difference is barely perceptible. There "might" be a little bit more a "click" sound/feel now, but honestly, if I didn't know to look for it, I wouldn't have noticed. The one thing I did notice was the sound. The transmission whine is now more pronounced; which to me, is a bad thing.

Some of you may know my various adventures with Short Shift Kits. Right now, I have a Rogue Engineering SSK installed. It is fine. Other SSKs I've run are the UUC and CAE Ultra Shifter. Which leads me back to the transmission whine. No SSK on the planet felt better than the CAE shifter, but the reason why I went to Rogue Engineering is because the ungodly amount of transmission whine sound that the CAE shifter introduced into the cabin of the car. At first, it's really cool sounding and introduced a lot of track drama into the commute. What I didn't anticipate is how annoying it would get after a while; like your sibling constantly poking your head when you're trying to meditate. Well, this Turner Rear Shifter Bushing reintroduced a tiny bit (stress on the tiny amount) of the transmission whine but without any of the benefits of the CAE shifter. There might be some benefit, but again, it's hardly noticeable; at least not in proportion to the newly introduced whining sound -- which are both tiny.

I realize that the difference in feel may be more pronounce on a stock shifter, as the 6MT feels really sloppy/rubbery from the factory, but if you already have a SSK, it's okay to forego the Poly Rear Shifter Bushing.

My opinion.

Really appreciate your review! Very thorough. I was considering this mod as well as the removal of the CDV. You saved me time and a little cash too

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Really appreciate your review! Very thorough. I was considering this mod as well as the removal of the CDV. You saved me time and a little cash too
I'll probably do the CDV mod next time. It's been on my perpetual mod list for a while.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

I respectfully disagree on every count. Mind you I don't have a SSK setup. Just the CDV delete, and Rouge Engineering tranny mounts. I don't notice any sound change, just a very audible and physical "click" when going into gear. It definitely provides proper feedback when you are actually engaged in the gear, something the OEM setup was lacking.
It now replicates the engagement that I feel in the Porsche MT.
A super easy and cheap mod that transforms the OEM 6MT, sorry that you didn't have the same effect with your SSK setup. (I also lubed the bushing with high temp lube grease).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #6
deemack79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

⬆️ agree. Definitely feels more precise on the 2/3 shift. The click is also more noticeable the more aggressively you shift. I find it very easy to row thru the gears now. The reduced slop allows the gear changes to be more seamless, instead of focusing where you're moving the shifter. I also lubed the bushing up with some grease. The only audible change I have is the pronounced click, zero tranny whine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Thanks for the review. I've read that the owner of UUC also says to go back to stock with their short shifter.

I installed the Turner piece on my stock shifter and I did feel an increased precision with the shifter "falling into gear". I am guessing that there's less flex in the shifter, so you feel more of the synchro's grabbing the gear. I did hear a little bit more "straight cut gear" whine, but it was pretty mild (from 0/10 to 1/10)- it's really only noticeable with the stereo off and you're at parking lot speeds. It was easy to access if you've already dropped the exhaust for other work, but honestly, I didn't feel it was a night and day difference, and would probably go straight to the UUC short shifter if I was to do it all over again.

In theory, the M3 transmission should have amazing feel, as it's directly connected to the transmission. There's no shifter cables like a FWD car, or Porsche, but I'm guessing there'd be a significant amount of gear whine/lash if the shifter didn't have some of the 'slop' between it and the synchro collars.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

I already have
- autosolution ssk
- ultimate clutch pedal
- cdv delete
- rogue transmission mounts

I absolutely love my setup.

I was waiting for this bushing to be back in stock to order it... just to see if it will make a difference, modification is always the quest of getting something already very good even better.

Thanks for your review, i will save money and simply skip this mod
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
I already have
- autosolution ssk
- ultimate clutch pedal
- cdv delete
- rogue transmission mounts

I absolutely love my setup.

I was waiting for this bushing to be back in stock to order it... just to see if it will make a difference, modification is always the quest of getting something already very good even better.

Thanks for your review, i will save money and simply skip this mod
Seems like you have the perfect combination of mods. Must feel amazing.
Appreciate 1