BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #23
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Sounds like you've got grounds here as they a. Had investigated the issue previously and withheld that from you and b. It's a gearbox, it should last much longer than this even with heavy throttle openings - there is a fit for purpose that isn't being met.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 07:03 PM   #24
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Sounds like you've got grounds here as they a. Had investigated the issue previously and withheld that from you and b. It's a gearbox, it should last much longer than this even with heavy throttle openings - there is a fit for purpose that isn't being met.
BMW NA won't do anything so it's up to the 3rd party dealership I bought it from. We'll see if they will take care of the whole thing or tell me to f off; which I will then proceed with an attorney as none of this was disclosed to me ever throughout the buying process. Would've never proceeded with the purchase if I had known. And it's being sold at exactly market value... maybe if it was $30K and it was disclosed it needed a trans rebuild.. that would be a different story.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
mfurse182.00
      03-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #25
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntoshMotorSports View Post
BMW NA won't do anything so it's up to the 3rd party dealership I bought it from. We'll see if they will take care of the whole thing or tell me to f off; which I will then proceed with an attorney as none of this was disclosed to me ever throughout the buying process. Would've never proceeded with the purchase if I had known. And it's being sold at exactly market value... maybe if it was $30K and it was disclosed it needed a trans rebuild.. that would be a different story.
Unfortunately, I am guessing that you won't get very far with suing a third-party dealer if they claimed that they had no knowledge of the prior issue or knowledge that there was an existing issue with the transmission. Their contracts are written very clearly that the vehicles are sold as is with no warranty. I would think that you would have better luck trying to escalate this higher within BMW and spending your energy making it a big deal with BMW corporate, as they have the funds and means to step in and help out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:33 PM   #26
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

This should go up to BMW as everyone says.

There is 0 reason any of this should be happening to a DCT let alone a DCT under 100k miles.

Whoever sold you the car is not responsible for this, the reason they sell the car "as is" is not too purposely screw you. It's because most of these shops have 0 fucking idea what transmission this car has let alone if it's in good condition or if it's making synchro noises lol. These guys didn't know shit man.

I would be writing an email to BMW corporate highlighting your disappointment with the car they produced, clearly a lemon.

The one thing that does confuse the fuck out of me and might have BMW raising eye brows is how does this happen to be the only DCT in existence to fail.

In these cases tbh i have actually heard of BMW NA covering the cost while keeping your DCT as a studying point, this would be only if they use that technology in future cars and want to improve reliability or find weak points. In this case they have no strategic need for this and you would have to plead as a BMW customer for them to make it right even though they have no reason to help.

Either way i wish you the best of luck, this is one of those horribly unlucky situations. If it was something like a 2k diff i would venture they would have you covered but fuck this thing cost nearly 15k.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 11:01 PM   #27
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
This should go up to BMW as everyone says.

There is 0 reason any of this should be happening to a DCT let alone a DCT under 100k miles.

Whoever sold you the car is not responsible for this, the reason they sell the car "as is" is not too purposely screw you. It's because most of these shops have 0 fucking idea what transmission this car has let alone if it's in good condition or if it's making synchro noises lol. These guys didn't know shit man.

I would be writing an email to BMW corporate highlighting your disappointment with the car they produced, clearly a lemon.

The one thing that does confuse the fuck out of me and might have BMW raising eye brows is how does this happen to be the only DCT in existence to fail.

In these cases tbh i have actually heard of BMW NA covering the cost while keeping your DCT as a studying point, this would be only if they use that technology in future cars and want to improve reliability or find weak points. In this case they have no strategic need for this and you would have to plead as a BMW customer for them to make it right even though they have no reason to help.

Either way i wish you the best of luck, this is one of those horribly unlucky situations. If it was something like a 2k diff i would venture they would have you covered but fuck this thing cost nearly 15k.
I will absolutely not being pocketing out 15K lol. Last resort will be a rebuild with some higher rated torque clutch packs from maybe SSP, only a few grand. But that's not really ideal so we shall see how this all pans out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:02 PM   #28
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVM3 View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am guessing that you won't get very far with suing a third-party dealer if they claimed that they had no knowledge of the prior issue or knowledge that there was an existing issue with the transmission. Their contracts are written very clearly that the vehicles are sold as is with no warranty. I would think that you would have better luck trying to escalate this higher within BMW and spending your energy making it a big deal with BMW corporate, as they have the funds and means to step in and help out. Good luck!
What's weird is when I called BMW of NA one of there agents said I need go to the dealership I bought it from but definitely not going to stop there. Writing up a full on essay..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #29
jlee403
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
What's weird is when I called BMW of NA one of there agents said I need go to the dealership I bought it from but definitely not going to stop there. Writing up a full on essay..
Damn wish you the best of luck man. Your car is right out of warranty like mine was but they can definitely work something out if they want to. I got real friendly with the tech working on my car the first time I took it in to get noise from the trans looked at and then they quoted me a ridiculous amount just to rip out the trans and diagnose the issue. I told them to give me my car back so I could take it to a very well known BMW tuner shop in the area. Apparently the tech I was working at has a buddy that worked there and knew theyd fix my car cheaper with quality work. Thats when he and my SA went to BMW to work something out for me. 3 boxes of dounts ended up tipping the scales in my favor to get coverage. Buy the dealer some donuts
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #30
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Here's the story.

Picked up a 2016 M3 with 63K at a dealership "as is". Car was one owner and at 21K miles reported this noise but nothing ever came of it, not sure if the owner didn't want to pursue a warranty claim or if the dealership refused. Taking it to BMW next week but wondering if anyone has had similar sounds to this? Also makes the same noise twice in 5th sometimes.

Literally going through the same thing right now with that bang. have an appointment on Tuesday. Will show my SA your video. Luckily, I'm still under warranty. Only 35k miles on the odometer
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #31
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee403 View Post
Quote:
Damn wish you the best of luck man. Your car is right out of warranty like mine was but they can definitely work something out if they want to. I got real friendly with the tech working on my car the first time I took it in to get noise from the trans looked at and then they quoted me a ridiculous amount just to rip out the trans and diagnose the issue. I told them to give me my car back so I could take it to a very well known BMW tuner shop in the area. Apparently the tech I was working at has a buddy that worked there and knew theyd fix my car cheaper with quality work. Thats when he and my SA went to BMW to work something out for me. 3 boxes of dounts ended up tipping the scales in my favor to get coverage. Buy the dealer some donuts
Donuts go a long way ahaha but yeah I think I'm going to try to press BMW to maybe covering some of cost. It's a one owner with perfect maintenance, and these trans are very stout. Don't see why it should be failing, car has never even seen a tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #32
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdnanH35 View Post
Quote:
Here's the story.

Picked up a 2016 M3 with 63K at a dealership "as is". Car was one owner and at 21K miles reported this noise but nothing ever came of it, not sure if the owner didn't want to pursue a warranty claim or if the dealership refused. Taking it to BMW next week but wondering if anyone has had similar sounds to this? Also makes the same noise twice in 5th sometimes.

Literally going through the same thing right now with that bang. have an appointment on Tuesday. Will show my SA your video. Luckily, I'm still under warranty. Only 35k miles on the odometer
Man let me know how it goes! Really wish I was still under warranty, this situation is so f$cked; no way in hell i'm paying that bill lol

What's the previous history on your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #33
AdnanH35
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's the story.

Man let me know how it goes! Really wish I was still under warranty, this situation is so f$cked; no way in hell i'm paying that bill lol

It had 3 previous owners all during the manufacturer warranty. I'm the 4th. All service done at BMW and everything checked out. I have all the service records from them and nothing was ever really wrong with the car. I was hesitant about the number of previous owners, but it was literally one of the cleanest used m3s in my area and the CPO eased my mind. I learned that bmw won't CPO an M unless it's really well maintained because there were 2019 2020 m4s without CPO. Had the car for about a month now and every time I let go of the gas I hear that thump or when coming to a complete stop. Especially in 2nd and 3rd between 3-5k rpms. Could be typical DCT stuff or just me. Just feel like It shouldn't clunk every time I release the throttle to brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #34
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's the story.

It had 3 previous owners all during the manufacturer warranty. I'm the 4th. All service done at BMW and everything checked out. I have all the service records from them and nothing was ever really wrong with the car. I was hesitant about the number of previous owners, but it was literally one of the cleanest used m3s in my area and the CPO eased my mind. I learned that bmw won't CPO an M unless it's really well maintained because there were 2019 2020 m4s without CPO. Had the car for about a month now and every time I let go of the gas I hear that thump or when coming to a complete stop. Especially in 2nd and 3rd between 3-5k rpms. Could be typical DCT stuff or just me. Just feel like It shouldn't clunk every time I release the throttle to brake.
Hmm and it sounds like it's coming from the trans? To me it sounds like you may need rear subframe bushings but yeah expect the DCT to make a lot more noise than a ZF, it is just a computer operated manual after all. Even with how badly mine needs a rebuild it's still freaking amazing coming from a ZF8 and a N55
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #35
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Update: Took it to another BMW dealership that tried to push BMW NA for some sort of assistance but they aren't willing to help. Dealership I bought it from is unresponsive and doesn't think they have any sort of responsibility in this. Safe to say I've learned my lesson and will doing two separate PPI's on any vehicle I buy out of state from here on out. "Reputable" shop that did the PPI didn't mention a thing about it..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #36
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Update: Took it to another BMW dealership that tried to push BMW NA for some sort of assistance but they aren't willing to help. Dealership I bought it from is unresponsive and doesn't think they have any sort of responsibility in this. Safe to say I've learned my lesson and will doing two separate PPI's on any vehicle I buy out of state from here on out. "Reputable" shop that did the PPI didn't mention a thing about it..

I can't speak for the shop, but one question is brought to mind. Would the PPI shop that did the inspection have had to rip on the tranny at all to feel and hear what you are talking about? If so, they may not have done so to the point that you might. Additionally, when did you start feeling it relative to when you got it and started driving it?

Case in point, I sold a boat a few years ago and everything worked as it should when I sold it. First time he took it out one of the engines overheated on him and some damage resulted, requiring him to rebuild the motor. He and I have chatted since and while he holds no grudge against me, he did joke that I sold it at just the right time, which does sometimes happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #37
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyumr View Post
Quote:

I can't speak for the shop, but one question is brought to mind. Would the PPI shop that did the inspection have had to rip on the tranny at all to feel and hear what you are talking about? If so, they may not have done so to the point that you might. Additionally, when did you start feeling it relative to when you got it and started driving it?

Case in point, I sold a boat a few years ago and everything worked as it should when I sold it. First time he took it out one of the engines overheated on him and some damage resulted, requiring him to rebuild the motor. He and I have chatted since and while he holds no grudge against me, he did joke that I sold it at just the right time, which does sometimes happen.
Unfortunately this was reported before the dealership I brought it from even got hands on it, so definitely didn't happen in the time period the PPI was done. But their "head service guy" said it was completely fine and they noted on their report the trans was good; only indication I had was the previous service records but to me it looked like the issue was resolved as their was no indication from any of the sales reps I talked to throughout the buying process that there was an issue with the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #38
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Welp, couple months later and there she goes. Doesn't even get out of first anymore
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #39
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Are you sure this car wasn't tuned and that's why the originally issue wasn't fixed under warranty?

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:50 PM   #40
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Welp, couple months later and there she goes. Doesn't even get out of first anymore
Well you have records that you raised the issue while it was still under warranty, so definitely fight this.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #41
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Quote:
Well you have records that you raised the issue while it was still under warranty, so definitely fight this.
I have it already loaded on a trailer tonight. Guess I'll take it back to BMW but really it's just a shitty situation all around because of the 3rd party dealership I bought it from; and also being halfway across the county from it

Time will tell, will report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #42
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
I have it already loaded on a trailer tonight. Guess I'll take it back to BMW but really it's just a shitty situation all around because of the 3rd party dealership I bought it from; and also being halfway across the county from it

Time will tell, will report back.
Good luck, hopefully they just swap the transmission for you and that's the end of it!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #43
McIntoshMotorSports
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
For reference here's the newer noise I'm hearing; sounds like a pump failure of some sort.

https://youtube.com/shorts/re0moNyT07k?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #44
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Yikes...good luck. Let us know how it goes.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0