Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-20-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Driving mode changes by itself and Drivetrain Malfunction faults

Team, I really need help here.

Little background on the car. 2017 F82 M4, FBO w Pures. Problem first started about 2 years ago with JB4. I would get a fault but I can't remember why. But didn't seem to really affect the car.

Fast forward to today. I have a Bootmod. I get multiple Drivetrain Warnings daily and they disappear. And then I get battery faults such as Electrical Power Supply Limited. And many times, the driving mode will change from efficient to sport or something else by itself. And sometimes, I'm driving and the cars driving power completely dies for about a second and then comes back.

I've changed the main and auxiliary water pumps, alternator, battery, and most recently, the DME which was not cheap, all at the dealers request and the problem keeps reoccurring. I have no warranty due to the upgraded. I have thrown a bunch of money at this car and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any idea what I could be dealing with?
      05-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
No idea, but a guess would be a bad battery or something is drawing to much power leading to low voltage. Seems like when we've seen so these times of random things it has sometimes lead back to that. That or rodents gnawing on the wiring. Good luck.

Last edited by minn19; 05-20-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
TrauCon
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AlpineWhite

When you press a physical button, it switches mode because it close a loop (or open) and activate the circuit/ecu to switch mode.

I am not an expert in electronic but I think your wire maybe shorted. It may touches the body of the car and create issues. I saw a video on youtube a long time back showing on how tshoot that issue (Humble Mechanic channel?).

I used to have a Civic and the headlight fuse blow every single time when I hit a pot hole for that same reason.

I know it is fustrated. Hope you will find out the root cause soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Sounds very similar to when I had a drain on my battery. It was about 18 months ago now but I remember there being a ton of faults with the car and most dangerously the car dying out on me and turning back on. I'd have a shop take a look at the battery. If it's that the SRP on the battery is around 1400.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
No idea, but a guess would be a bad battery or something is drawing to much power leading to low voltage. Seems like when we've seen so these times of random things it has sometimes lead back to that. That or rodents gnawing on the writing. Good luck.
Changed battery, alternator, and still the same thing keeps happening.
      05-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Sounds very similar to when I had a drain on my battery. It was about 18 months ago now but I remember there being a ton of faults with the car and most dangerously the car dying out on me and turning back on. I'd have a shop take a look at the battery. If it's that the SRP on the battery is around 1400.
Did you get it fixed? It was the battery?
      05-20-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
la.tifinthesky
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 13%E2%80%99 F10 M5

Driving my F82 in manual today and I got a DCT fault message, forgot ehat the message was exactly but it mentioned drove carefully and transmission fault. Engine wouldn't let me change gears and I had to roll to the curb for a full stop. I tried to restart and I got what you see in the picture. I shut the engine, got out, locked the car, let it cool for awhile and got back in. After that there was no warning message but the check engine light stayed on. I managed to put the car back in 'D' and drove home, car performed as usual on the drive back. Got home, tried to restart the car again and same thing, no error message but check engone light stayed on. Anybody has had similar issues?
Attached Images

05-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

I received 50 plus fault messages after I installed an E30 BMS tune including drivetrain fault and parking aid malfunction. Did an online recoding and everything went away.
      09-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #9
Already5am
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Hey OP, im having the exact same problems your having...sometimes it takes somewhere around 3-8 tries starting my car before it actually turns on as it just cranks

due to dealer recommendations i replaced my DME,battery,water pump and its at the dealership now saying i need to replace my alternator was wondering if you were able to get the problem figured out ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tam View Post
Hey OP, im having the exact same problems your having...sometimes it takes somewhere around 3-8 tries starting my car before it actually turns on as it just cranks

due to dealer recommendations i replaced my DME,battery,water pump and its at the dealership now saying i need to replace my alternator was wondering if you were able to get the problem figured out ?
It was a loose ground wire.
      09-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Quote:
Where exactly? Preventive information just in case.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #12
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicck_f82 View Post
Quote:
Where exactly? Preventive information just in case.
Underside of carriage by transmission.
      09-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
Yardi78
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Xdrive50

Malfunction issue

Hello folks,

Ive had my 2015 F80 for a little over a year and recently I have been getting similar issues. I got a “drivetrain stabilization” error and “rear axle diff lock” error. After a diagnosis and $$$$$ at the dealer they changed a rear speed sensor. The very next day I am now getting “drivetrain Malfunction” error. Anyone have anything similar to this? Could it be the ground wire?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #14
Already5am
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

shoutout to the OP, after 2.5 months of my BMW dealership trying to find the problem with my car after water pump,battery,DME, and alternator i gave them a little note saying try to check the undercarriage for a loose ground somewhere and they were able to find it.

my car is now running 100% back to normal and all is well they even had a one time good graces warranty service where they didnt charge me for any repairs/labor even after my car is out of warranty at 53,000 miles

just want to say thank you NFAM3!
you have saved me alot of time and money
Appreciate 1
Shubacca121.50
      09-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #15
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Someone take a picture of this ground wire. It would be a great sticky and information to pass on.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #16
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

did you ever get this fixed? i'm having a similar issue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

Yeh kinda bad for us. But a mechanic can loosen this wire up. N charge a bunch of money. Just bad stories.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #18
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 F80

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerm3 View Post
Yeh kinda bad for us. But a mechanic can loosen this wire up. N charge a bunch of money. Just bad stories.
I have the same issue I changed the battery dme everything car won't start and 18 codes pop up. Please help text me 7735932323
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #19
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Little background on the car. 2017 F82 M4, FBO w Pures. Problem first started about 2 years ago with JB4. I would get a fault but I can't remember why. But didn't seem to really affect the car.

Fast forward to today. I have a Bootmod. I get multiple Drivetrain Warnings daily and they disappear. And then I get battery faults such as Electrical Power Supply Limited. And many times, the driving mode will change from efficient to sport or something else by itself. And sometimes, I'm driving and the cars driving power completely dies for about a second and then comes back.

I've changed the main and auxiliary water pumps, alternator, battery, and most recently, the DME which was not cheap, all at the dealers request and the problem keeps reoccurring. I have no warranty due to the upgraded. I have thrown a bunch of money at this car and nothing seems to work.

I had very similar symptoms, it turned out to be a bad trans-chassis ground.
      09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #20
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Help / guide needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
Quote:

I changed the battery, new dme, all fuses and connectors checked, new ground cable the one by the trans nothing seems to work. Car is completely dead. After reading on here I resented the icm, the engine finally turns but no start. Called the dealer they want to charge me $198 per hour unfortunately my car has 70 k miles and this is a brand néw build, engine was out of the car I have the crank hub done new turbos new down pipes csf cooler intercooler etc. All the work done by N.C.A motorsports $46k into the build and now the car won't start 1.3 years at the shop at this point I don't know what to do. Please if anyone knows anything I would really appreciate any advice at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #21
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Update to my self and who ever has this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstopjohn3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I changed the battery, new dme, all fuses and connectors checked, new ground cable the one by the trans nothing seems to work. Car is completely dead. After reading on here I resented the icm, the engine finally turns but no start. Called the dealer they want to charge me $198 per hour unfortunately my car has 70 k miles and this is a brand néw build, engine was out of the car I have the crank hub done new turbos new down pipes csf cooler intercooler etc. All the work done by N.C.A motorsports $46k into the build and now the car won't start 1.3 years at the shop at this point I don't know what to do. Please if anyone knows anything I would really appreciate any advice at this point.
Well thanks for the help, I'll help my self. I took out my dme and the fem and I am sending them out to get them refurbished will post after install. The reason I sent them out is because I couldn't find any lose connection or ground wire and since the dme was sent out before for repair I don't think it reads the fem module. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:17 AM   #22
Nonstopjohn3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Bmw m3   [0.00]
Posting some update

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well thanks for the help, I'll help my self. I took out my dme and the fem and I am sending them out to get them refurbished will post after install. The reason I sent them out is because I couldn't find any lose connection or ground wire and since the dme was sent out before for repair I don't think it reads the fem module. Fingers crossed
Dme was taken off module taken off and sent out to be refurbished. Nothing wrong with the units they will go back in the car one the next couple of hours and I'll update the new codes/issues.
Appreciate 0