ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
hadeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Shipping damange expieriences

Does BMANA or dealers ever notify of damages that happen to the vehicle during transit? I know they repair any damages at VPC, but I was curious, to what extent?

Interesting video I came across got me thinking about this as I wait for my F80 to get on a vessel... (Check out 1:00min+)

03-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
My understanding is that below a certain threshold, they don't have to disclose damages or repairs. Not sure what that threshold is, though.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22 l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
beans150
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

"If the car suffers damage in excess of 3% of it's value it has to be disclosed to the dealer."

http://www.e90post.com/vpc/index.asp.htm

Link is old, but still may hold.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [5.00]
After watching that video.....

VPC is the bees knees when it comes to repairing damaged cars, but they ain't THAT good

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYFRAN View Post
Does BMANA or dealers ever notify of damages that happen to the vehicle during transit? I know they repair any damages at VPC, but I was curious, to what extent?
BMW NA has to notify the dealer if the repairs would normally have cost more than x% of the value of the vehicle. Someone mentioned 3%, but I forgot the exact threshold.
What dealer does with that information is up to them. I've never heard of dealer sales on "storm repair specials".

When I toured the NY delivery center last year, they mentioned that the most common repair on BMWs was respraying the bumpers to clean up and scratches. Those repairs did not trigger notification guidelines.

The most extensive damage was from a storm, similar to the one depicted in your video, that reduced a 7-series to the width of its engine block (about 2 feet).

a
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
hadeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
BMW NA has to notify the dealer if the repairs would normally have cost more than x% of the value of the vehicle. Someone mentioned 3%, but I forgot the exact threshold.
What dealer does with that information is up to them. I've never heard of dealer sales on "storm repair specials".

When I toured the NY delivery center last year, they mentioned that the most common repair on BMWs was respraying the bumpers to clean up and scratches. Those repairs did not trigger notification guidelines.

The most extensive damage was from a storm, similar to the one depicted in your video, that reduced a 7-series to the width of its engine block (about 2 feet).

a
Great, thanks for the info!
      03-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Going a step further, individual states have thresholds regarding the disclosure of damage to vehicles prior to retail delivery. I think that's the deciding factor. I don't believe there's a universal answer. For my state (PA), it's the greater of $500 or 3% of MSRP. I would assume this covers any damage to the vehicle after it leaves the factory, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Most other manufacturers don't have a facility similar to the VPC which has full body shop and repair capabilities.

If a dealer sells a vehicle that was repaired and they do not disclose the damage, they can suffer serious consequences with the state attorney general. This actually happened to a friend many years ago who bought a new Mustang Mach 1. While showing it to me a couple days after he bought it, I pointed out the fact that the hood and one fender had been replaced and the rest of the front clip was painted. When he went back to the dealership to point out the repairs and break some necks, they offered to refund him 100% no questions asked, or to write him a check for $5,000. He took the check and many years later, still has the car with a letter from the dealer indicating it was damaged on their lot prior to retail delivery.

All of that said, the shop facilities at the VPC are nothing short of amazing. I had the opportunity to spend an hour or so with their lead painter a few years back and he's a very talented craftsman. He has at his disposal some of the best equipment available and a full array of materials that allow him to match ANY car BMW runs through the facility. One of the most impressive things he had were color books that had about 12-15 variations of each paint color to aid in perfect color matching. He showed me several cars in the shop (some for paint, others for other issues) and we compared his samples to 3 cars that were the same color (mineral gray if I remember correctly). Two were the identical shade, but the third was a couple shades lighter. They looked the same parked by each other, but the paint chips made the variations apparent. I inspected several cars that had been repaired (including an M3 whose CF roof was replaced) and I could not find any indications of any of the repairs, even after they told me what had been repaired. I wouldn't bat an eye if I learned my vehicle had to be repaired at the VPC.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post

All of that said, the shop facilities at the VPC are nothing short of amazing. I had the opportunity to spend an hour or so with their lead painter a few years back and he's a very talented craftsman. He has at his disposal some of the best equipment available and a full array of materials that allow him to match ANY car BMW runs through the facility. One of the most impressive things he had were color books that had about 12-15 variations of each paint color to aid in perfect color matching. He showed me several cars in the shop (some for paint, others for other issues) and we compared his samples to 3 cars that were the same color (mineral gray if I remember correctly). Two were the identical shade, but the third was a couple shades lighter. They looked the same parked by each other, but the paint chips made the variations apparent. I inspected several cars that had been repaired (including an M3 whose CF roof was replaced) and I could not find any indications of any of the repairs, even after they told me what had been repaired. I wouldn't bat an eye if I learned my vehicle had to be repaired at the VPC.
Very true...there are a few people that have, unfortunately, had damage occur to their vehicles upon delivery at their dealerships and desperately tried to have their cars sent back to the VPC for them to do the repairs. Unfortunately they were out of luck, but it does go to show how excellent of a job they do. The VPC really is an extension of the factory.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1