European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #45
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

One more question. So I have started over and VO'd the appropriate ecu's now I am coding the CAFD files for LHM44 and am stuck at M3 init_US_F025-->Unknown, Werte= FA, FA, 00, 19, FA, FA, 00 I am not seeing an "Unknown" the drop down menu, what should I be selecting? Sorry for the noob questions but I just want to make sure I follow the instructions exactly as stated
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #46
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
One more question. So I have started over and VO'd the appropriate ecu's now I am coding the CAFD files for LHM44 and am stuck at M3 init_US_F025-->Unknown, Werte= FA, FA, 00, 19, FA, FA, 00 I am not seeing an "Unknown" the drop down menu, what should I be selecting? Sorry for the noob questions but I just want to make sure I follow the instructions exactly as stated
You may be in the wrong folder. Take a screenshot of the folder tree you are in and what is available to you from the drop down.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #47
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the response. Ill get that screen shot up tomorrow. I already wrapped up for the night. Ive got everything else that was coded working so it was a huge success today. Now to get these elusive adaptive light to work. Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #48
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Ill get that screen shot up tomorrow. I already wrapped up for the night. Ive got everything else that was coded working so it was a huge success today. Now to get these elusive adaptive light to work. Appreciate the help.
Also, as mentioned in the "How To" I posted in the other thread, "For the function M3 in LHM [44], if you do not see a preset option labeled “Unknown” which gives you the correct Werte, just select any preset option and edit the Werte directly: the option name will change to “Unknown” automatically."

Edit: Please see post #59 below for the revised "How To".

Last edited by dmnc02; 08-22-2015 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #49
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Ahhh I see I missed a step after glossing over the pdf. So yesterday I restarted from scratch and VO coded FEM_BODY, FLA, both LHM but some how missed both TMS. Also, last night after not being able to find the "unknown" value i just picked the ece_f030 in the drop down menu and altered the Werte values as described. Im not sure if it changed to unknown. Should I start from scratch again or would it be sufficient to just VO code the TMS's that I missed?
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #50
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh I see I missed a step after glossing over the pdf. So yesterday I restarted from scratch and VO coded FEM_BODY, FLA, both LHM but some how missed both TMS. Also, last night after not being able to find the "unknown" value i just picked the ece_f030 in the drop down menu and altered the Werte values as described. Im not sure if it changed to unknown. Should I start from scratch again or would it be sufficient to just VO code the TMS's that I missed?
Vo coding the TMS will probably not make any difference (it didn't in my car), but it is a worthwhile precaution in order to make sure everything is as it should be. If you just do this, there is no need to repeat the other steps.

As for the LHM, if you want to make sure just check the Werte values, as it is all that matters.
      07-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #51
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Will give it a go and report back. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #52
Junkball
FLY NAVY
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 6MT & 330i ZSP

Video Walkthrough

If anyone knowledgeable is coding NGHBs anytime soon, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by the community if they were to record their coding for a YouTube post. Most of the how-to documents were written with a certain level of coding proficiency in mind, and other walkthroughs, both .pdf and video, were created under varying E-SYS versions. I'll be the guy in a week or so if no one else takes the bait, once I get comfortable enough.
      07-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #53
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay guys, I did some more adjusting of the files and I am not able to replicate all the instructions. I'll attach my results:
Edit: the images came out weird but the top left is LHM [43] showing the adjustments I made to M1,2,3,4,14,15. The image on right is LHM [44] showing adjustments to M1,2,3,4,6,7,8 and the one on the bottom left is LHM [44] is showing M9,14,15
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #54
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay guys, I did some more adjusting of the files and I am not able to replicate all the instructions. I'll attach my results:
Edit: the images came out weird but the top left is LHM [43] showing the adjustments I made to M1,2,3,4,14,15. The image on right is LHM [44] showing adjustments to M1,2,3,4,6,7,8 and the one on the bottom left is LHM [44] is showing M9,14,15
I do not see anything wrong. Why do you say you were unable to replicate all the instructions?
      07-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #55
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I do not see anything wrong. Why do you say you were unable to replicate all the instructions?
Is it all looking as it should be? I assumed that some of the values were getting changed, namely LHM[43] in M1,2,4 and 9 where I would save the vaue as init_ECE_F030 in the drop down menu but it would then show "init_ECE_F030, init_ECE_F025" after I code the fdl. Also in LHM [44] its showing the multiple values as well in M1,2,3,4,6,7,8 and 9 and in M3 I cannot get a value of "unknown" even after altering the Werte values as described, FA,FA,00,FA,FA,00. I just left it as init ECE_F030, is it okay if I leave it as that value?

Again, thanks for your help and quick responses!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #56
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it all looking as it should be? I assumed that some of the values were getting changed, namely LHM[43] in M1,2,4 and 9 where I would save the vaue as init_ECE_F030 in the drop down menu but it would then show "init_ECE_F030, init_ECE_F025" after I code the fdl. Also in LHM [44] its showing the multiple values as well in M1,2,3,4,6,7,8 and 9 and in M3 I cannot get a value of "unknown" even after altering the Werte values as described, FA,FA,00,FA,FA,00. I just left it as init ECE_F030, is it okay if I leave it as that value?

Again, thanks for your help and quick responses!
As mentioned in post #50, just check the Werte values, as it is all that matters. Yours look fine.

If you make your coding changes, close E-Sys, then launch it again, select LHM [44], right-click and select "Read coding data", at that point the setting for M3 in LHM [44] will probably have changed to "Unknown". The fact that you see "init_ECE_F030, init_ECE_F025" instead of just "init_ECE_F030" simply reflects the fact that "init_ECE_F030" and "init_ECE_F025" are equivalent options (i.e., correspond to the same Werte value) and E-Sys simply cannot know which one you originally selected.
      07-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #57
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for the clear explanation. I don't want to alter any values that shouldn't be changed and I just want to be absolutely sure that I am doing as the instructions ask. Still new with coding and shaking out some of the nervousness bugs. Nothing more nerve racking than making a little mistake and causing all kinds of unknown chaos with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #58
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the clear explanation. I don't want to alter any values that shouldn't be changed and I just want to be absolutely sure that I am doing as the instructions ask. Still new with coding and shaking out some of the nervousness bugs. Nothing more nerve racking than making a little mistake and causing all kinds of unknown chaos with the car.
Understood: I was in the same nerve-racking situation as you when I started coding my car just a few months back.
      07-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #59
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

There is a small update to the "How To" I posted earlier. Please see post #317 in this thread:

Adaptive LED lighting turned on-wow.
      08-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #60
Scarper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 MG/SO

I think I've followed all the coding in the updated instructions. Everything seemed to work, but so far all that happens is when I press the assist button is that it switches from high to low beam. This may be beacuse I've been driving where there's too much light but I'm not sure. Could someone descibe exactly how to activate the anti dazzle?

Can you tell me the switch sequence, speed, amount of light (which seem to be the factors afecting the activation) - I see many of these settings in KAFAS2 - will changing these make anti dazzle more likely to activate?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #61
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
I think I've followed all the coding in the updated instructions. Everything seemed to work, but so far all that happens is when I press the assist button is that it switches from high to low beam. This may be beacuse I've been driving where there's too much light but I'm not sure. Could someone descibe exactly how to activate the anti dazzle?

Can you tell me the switch sequence, speed, amount of light (which seem to be the factors afecting the activation) - I see many of these settings in KAFAS2 - will changing these make anti dazzle more likely to activate?
To activate high beam assistant, you need to have the light switch on the Auto position. Once the system has switched the low beams on, press the lower of the two buttons on the side of the turn indicator stalk. You will see this symbol on the instrument cluster:

Name:  HBA.png
Views: 754
Size:  1.3 KB

The high beams might or might not switch on immediately, depending on lighting conditions, surrounding traffic and the speed at which you are traveling. At speeds below 45mph, no-glare HBA is not active and the system simply switches the high beams on/off.
      08-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #62
Scarper
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
To activate high beam assistant, you need to have the light switch on the Auto position. Once the system has switched the low beams on, press the lower of the two buttons on the side of the turn indicator stalk. You will see this symbol on the instrument cluster:

Attachment 1262040

The high beams might or might not switch on immediately, depending on lighting conditions, surrounding traffic and the speed at which you are traveling. At speeds below 45mph, no-glare HBA is not active and the system simply switches the high beams on/off.
thanks - i'll test further
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #63
Scarper
Private
Canada
Rep

Finaly got to test it on the roads around Nuburg - WOW - surprised by how much movement goes on!

Below 40k it stays on low beam
Between 40k and 70k it auto switches low to high
Above 70k the light show happens

Many thanks to those who worked this out
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #64
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
Finaly got to test it on the roads around Nuburg - WOW - surprised by how much movement goes on!

Below 40k it stays on low beam
Between 40k and 70k it auto switches low to high
Above 70k the light show happens

Many thanks to those who worked this out
      08-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #65
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
Rep
Drives: Plaid, F82 M4, E46 M3, Sequoia

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I also got mine to work well. However, a few questions for dmnc02

1) Can you explain how you got to the coded values? Specifically for the "unknown"? Why would it not be one of the "standard" offerings? Why is it only in some of the folders and not all?

2) What's the difference between selecting "ECE_F025" and "ECE_F030"?

3) What can happen if a wrong "setting" is coded in?

It seems that my headlights now move around a lot more, which is cool, and seems to be indicative that it's working. However, is there a risk of the motors burning out faster now?
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #66
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBean View Post
I also got mine to work well. However, a few questions for dmnc02

1) Can you explain how you got to the coded values? Specifically for the "unknown"? Why would it not be one of the "standard" offerings? Why is it only in some of the folders and not all?

2) What's the difference between selecting "ECE_F025" and "ECE_F030"?

3) What can happen if a wrong "setting" is coded in?

It seems that my headlights now move around a lot more, which is cool, and seems to be indicative that it's working. However, is there a risk of the motors burning out faster now?
1) The coding values were obtained by comparing the factory (i.e., VO) values for cars sold in the ECE market to the factory values for cars sold in the US market: the M1-M15 values that are not mentioned as needing to be changed are already set to the same factory values for ECE and US cars. As to the "Unknown" value, there does not seem to be much logic in the naming scheme used in PSdZData for predefined function values: in some cases, there are differently-named options that correspond to exactly the same Werte values (making those options equivalent and interchangeable) and in some cases, such as the M3 function in LHM [44], the name given to the option is an unimaginative "Unknown".

2) For the M1 and M2 functions in LHM [44] there isn't a predefined option named "init_ECE_F030" (at least with the version of PSdZData I am currently using), so there is no way to select that option even if somebody wanted to. Presumably, the only reason the option is named "init_ECE_F025" instead of "init_ECE_F030" is that the option was initially used for the F25 and BMW did not see the need to introduce another option named "init_ECE_F030" corresponding to the same Werte values. Again, the option names are largely irrelevant: all that matters for coding are the Werte values.

3) The M1-M15 functions selectively dim some of the LED emitters in the headlamps to prevent glare. If some of the values are set incorrectly, the LED emitters will not dim correctly and glare will be produced (e.g., the "tunnel" will not work as designed).

4) Although the headlights seem a lot more active after the full coding, they actually do not move any more than they would if you had just removed 5AP and 8S4 and VO coded without changing anything else: the only reason they seem to move more is that now selective dimming of portions of the light beam is occurring as well. As for the risk of the motors burning out faster, I would not worry: the lights are just doing what they were designed to do and what BMW would have enabled at the factory were it not for the antiquated US regulation prohibiting high beams that are not manually controlled. Remember that the LED headlights we got with the F8x Lighting package are called "Adaptive full LED Lights".

Edit: Upon further investigation, it turns out that the inconsistencies in the names of the VO values are actually entirely the result of the mapping algorithm used by E-Sys Launcher to circumvent the trimmed CAFDs: when looking at the untrimmed CAFDs from older PSdZData, the names of the VO values for Mxx functions in LHM are consistently "init_US_F030" or "init_ECE_F030" (depending on the country variant). See this post for more details: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=806.

Last edited by dmnc02; 09-05-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 3