BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #45
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Hi, can I ask how you got the detailed "Fault description" if you haven't done the same as thisisdave ? The info displayed is usually from the fault memory list for a specific fault. I read above that you haven't built your PSU so I assume you got this either from the Internet, or you were you able to browse Faults in Rheingold offline???
I looked up his fault code in Rheingold. I also built my PSU and flashed my car to 58.3 this morning, but I'm not sure there's much else I can do now if it's FSC code enabled.

I think all our DMEs have FSC "enabling" codes which enable features and ties it to your VIN. I read in Rheingold that if you get a new DME, you have to get a "repair" code, since the DME has nothing in it. Ours is probably already loaded with civic M3 FSC, but gives the error when flashed with ZCP fw because ZCP DME is probably considered a different "feature".

Off topic: going from 57.2 to 58.3 was a noticeable difference. The ASD is more rearward and less in your face. The DCT is less lurchy and is smoother taking off. I always thought sport+ was too sensitive and i think it got a little more progressive near the cruising point, instead of
being so on/off. Also, there's more random burble/pops here and there that weren't there in normal driving before, but nothing like ZCP.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #46
hockey9999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
I looked up his fault code in Rheingold. I also built my PSU and flashed my car to 58.3 this morning, but I'm not sure there's much else I can do now if it's FSC code enabled.

I think all our DMEs have FSC "enabling" codes which enable features and ties it to your VIN. I read in Rheingold that if you get a new DME, you have to get a "repair" code, since the DME has nothing in it. Ours is probably already loaded with civic M3 FSC, but gives the error when flashed with ZCP fw because ZCP DME is probably considered a different "feature".

Off topic: going from 57.2 to 58.3 was a noticeable difference. The ASD is more rearward and less in your face. The DCT is less lurchy and is smoother taking off. I always thought sport+ was too sensitive and i think it got a little more progressive near the cruising point, instead of
being so on/off. Also, there's more random burble/pops here and there that weren't there in normal driving before, but nothing like ZCP.
Slightly off topic.. But a separate thread on the PSU you built and the process/tools to flash to 58.3 would be awesome and appreciated!
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #47
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Just got ISTA/P seemingly working and will see if I get any traction with a swfl combined with enable programming mode checked (most likely via e-sys since I'm more familiar with it), then will investigate programming options via ISTA/P.

Fingers crossed.

@terahertz (is that you, Sam?), glad your upgrade went smoothly. Was about 30min, yes? The swf/cdDeploy is less than two mins so you're not tied to busting out the PSU to switch back and forth. I'm starting to wonder whether I should worry about wearing out those blocks though since they might be designed to have maybe a dozen flashes in a lifespan...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #48
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Diffing hexdumps of the swfl binaries to re-roll binaries of flash seg1-/seg2-replaced binaries to flash (since the segments are individually signed per the header xml).

...while I lick my wounds after being unsuccessful with ICOM emulation on ISTA/P over ENET; perhaps I'll either need an ICOM cable, or will need further tuning of EDIABAS.ini.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #49
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

I'm not Sam, but yes it was about 30 minutes. . I'm pretty sure flash memory these days lasts much longer than a dozen writes. I think on the older BMW's you could flash many times, but there was only 64 records for the software ID to be written. You could get around that by not writing the ID.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #50
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
We may need to pull in shawnsheridan

I can enable retrofits in ISTA/P with FSC codes but there is no "retrofit ZCP DME" choice.

Sounds like one of my weekend projects is to learn about FSC
0029 might be a fit: "Conversion, execute power output raise"
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #51
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdave View Post
...or 004C: "Conversion, deactivate power reduction"

...and this makes me really wish I had ISTA/P working. Set local ethernet to 169.254.0.1 and have the USB interface (disabled though) set per networksetup.exe and it's been at 169.254.0.8... set EDIABAS.ini to have remote host at car's IP wit port 6801 left as-is... really wish I could get stable ICOM emulation over ENET but perhaps my macbook+vm-over-USB-ethernet dongle's getting in the way. Should provision myself a native Windows laptop temporarily, and also get an ICOM cable I guess.

To keep up momentum, I'm going to try re-rolled swfl binaries, probably now, and then get some sleep.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #52
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdave
...It's in the db.
Thanks to @terahertz refreshing my old age brain (I used it one year ago for my E71470 code), here's how: Rheingold->Vehicle Management ->Troubleshooting-> Input Fault code.

Misc ramblings, I know little about FSC codes, and if you ask Shawn, he'd say only BMW AG issues FSC codes tied to VIN although there are some generators and it's possible to get some FSC codes for maps, ... You can extract an FSC code using Esys, import it to activate feature, ... So let's say we ask few ZCP owners to extract their FSC code, then you need a cryptographer/cryptoanalist like TM to take a crack at it...

ferrarif1 mentioned that you can get ISTA/D working with an ICOM emulator, unsure if ISTA/P works with an ICOM emulator. In any case, all research and futile attempts on my parts and others couldn't get neither suites to work with an emulator, an ICOM unit is needed unless he chimes in with the details.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #53
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks to @terahertz refreshing my old age brain (I used it one year ago for my E71470 code), here's how: Rheingold->Vehicle Management ->Troubleshooting-> Input Fault code.

Misc ramblings, I know little about FSC codes, and if you ask Shawn, he'd say only BMW AG issues FSC codes tied to VIN although there are some generators and it's possible to get some FSC codes for maps, ... You can extract an FSC code using Esys, import it to activate feature, ... So let's say we ask few ZCP owners to extract their FSC code, then you need a cryptographer/cryptoanalist like TM to take a crack at it...

ferrarif1 mentioned that you can get ISTA/D working with an ICOM emulator, unsure if ISTA/P works with an ICOM emulator. In any case, all research and futile attempts on my parts and others couldn't get neither suites to work with an emulator, an ICOM unit is needed unless he chimes in with the details.
I will now happily freely code any ZCP cars in the area.

(only payment required is the extraction of your FSC code!)

Reverse-dumped frankensteinaries (with flasthseg1/seg2 individually replaced) didn't work, dme wouldn't accept them. no obvious sign as to why since I matched flashseg checksums in the header xml. but my approach is likely misguided.

Time for bed. My girlfriend's probably pissed.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #54
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Well have a good night (although it's 5am?) my wife loves it when I am in my garage
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #55
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdave
Quote:
...or 004C: "Conversion, deactivate power reduction"

...and this makes me really wish I had ISTA/P working. Set local ethernet to 169.254.0.1 and have the USB interface (disabled though) set per networksetup.exe and it's been at 169.254.0.8... set EDIABAS.ini to have remote host at car's IP wit port 6801 left as-is... really wish I could get stable ICOM emulation over ENET but perhaps my macbook+vm-over-USB-ethernet dongle's getting in the way. Should provision myself a native Windows laptop temporarily, and also get an ICOM cable I guess.

To keep up momentum, I'm going to try re-rolled swfl binaries, probably now, and then get some sleep.
Were you looking at conversions in ISTA/D or ISTA/P?

I do have ISTA/P working with the emulator and will take another look at the conversions available, these may have changed since I updated psdzdata to 58.3.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #56
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Were you looking at conversions in ISTA/D or ISTA/P?

I do have ISTA/P working with the emulator and will take another look at the conversions available, these may have changed since I updated psdzdata to 58.3.
I was looking at conversions from the doc the "Help" button launches for the generator that's launched from the ISTA/P launcher.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #57
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at conversions from the doc the "Help" button launches for the generator that's launched from the ISTA/P launcher.
...still don't quite have programming mode available in ISTA/D but I can probably get there--got part-way there and could get beyond the 'run test first' window, but measurements plan didn't work. If I can try to apply via ISTA/D then getting that working should be my priority tomorrow I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #58
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
...still don't quite have programming mode available in ISTA/D but I can probably get there--got part-way there and could get beyond the 'run test first' window, but measurements plan didn't work. If I can try to apply via ISTA/D then getting that working should be my priority tomorrow I suppose.
Ok you are getting the same error as most of us tried over at cartech... And we were all using ISTA/D standalone, ENET cable... Shouldn't you be sleeping now
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #59
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok you are getting the same error as most of us tried over at cartech... And we were all using ISTA/D standalone, ENET cable... Shouldn't you be sleeping now
Yeah but I've got it sorted now, kinda thinking about going back out to test. Measurements calculation fails but I'm hoping that's because I'm in simulation mode.

Wondering too if I should copy working EDIABAS.INI from the rheingold embedded folder to the ista/p since that seems to work, but likely would be different since there's no icom emulation at play in my working ista/d...

EDIT: for reference
Code:
    <!-- Enable Programming -->
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.DebugLevel" value="2" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.Enabled" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.ExpertMode" value="true" /> 
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.UseAIF" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.SCHNELLE_BAUDRATE" value="true" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.TESTER_ID" value="0" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.TEST_CHECKSUMME" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.U_PROG_FLAG" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.WITH_MOSTFIREWALL" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.FORCE_PROG_PROGRAM" value="false" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzDataPath" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\Rheingold\PSdZ\data" />
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.PsdzProg.InitOnAppStartup" value="true" />

<add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.CoapiErrorLogPath" value="..\..\..\Logs" />
    <!-- not sure about that, not tested !!!! -->
    <add key="BMW.Rheingold.Programming.CoapiBase.CoapiSearchPath" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\Rheingold\PSdZ\data" /> 
    <!-- not sure about that, not tested !!!! -->

Last edited by packetpilot; 05-15-2016 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: codeblock
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #60
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
... (although it's 5am?) my wife loves it when I am in my garage
You must be married for a long time now

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #61
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
You must be married for a long time now
hahaha yes just like you :?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #62
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

No dice, wasn't because of simulation mode.

Code:
16-05-15 06:09:50,839 [Thread-15] [WARN] [] com.bmw.psdz.vehicle.base.topology.access.EthernetAccessLinkImpl: connection test failed. Attempt 0 of 3
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.waitForConnect(Native Method)
	at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
	at com.bmw.psdz.vehicle.base.topology.access.EthernetAccessLinkImpl.getSocketAddress(EthernetAccessLinkImpl.java:137)
	at com.bmw.psdz.http.server.HttpServiceImpl.activateHttpServerConnection(HttpServiceImpl.java:92)
	at com.bmw.psdz.http.server.HttpServiceImpl.onOpen(HttpServiceImpl.java:189)
	at com.bmw.psdz.uc.ConnectionImpl.notifyOpen(ConnectionImpl.java:92)
	at com.bmw.psdz.uc.ConnectionImpl.open(ConnectionImpl.java:116)
	at com.bmw.psdz.uc.ConnectionProviderImpl.safeOpen(ConnectionProviderImpl.java:35)
	at com.bmw.psdz.uc.ConnectionProviderImpl.createAndOpen(ConnectionProviderImpl.java:77)
	at com.bmw.psdz.api.impl.connection.ConnectionsImpl$BuilderImpl.createAndOpenConnection(ConnectionsImpl.java:228)
	at com.bmw.psdz.api.impl.connection.ConnectionsImpl$BuilderImpl.open_aroundBody0(ConnectionsImpl.java:152)
	at com.bmw.psdz.api.impl.connection.ConnectionsImpl$BuilderImpl.open_aroundBody1$advice(ConnectionsImpl.java:79)
	at com.bmw.psdz.api.impl.connection.ConnectionsImpl$BuilderImpl.open(ConnectionsImpl.java:1)
	at com.bmw.rheingold.j4n.helper.PSdZConnectionFactory.BuildConnection(PSdZConnectionFactory.java:143)
	at com.bmw.rheingold.j4n.helper.PSdZConnectionFactory.connectOverEthernet(PSdZConnectionFactory.java:77)
16-05-15 06:09:51,328 [CPU-Logger-0] [INFO] [] com.bmw.psdz.core.common.systemlogger.CPULogger: javamem:110,496,584; procmem:388,947,968; proccpu:0.0; systcpu:0.0
16-05-15 06:09:51,832 [CPU-Logger-0] [INFO] [] com.bmw.psdz.core.common.systemlogger.CPULogger: javamem:110,701,176; procmem:388,947,968; proccpu:0.0; systcpu:0.0
16-05-15 06:09:51,840 [Thread-15] [WARN] [] com.bmw.psdz.vehicle.base.topology.access.EthernetAccessLinkImpl: connection test failed. Attempt 1 of 3
...and /now/ i think i'm finally calling it a night.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #63
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah but I've got it sorted now, kinda thinking about going back out to test. Measurements calculation fails but I'm hoping that's because I'm in simulation mode.
if you are obviously connected to the car and If it fails it still won't work, trust me we went over the same steps ... But you seem to be a persistent chap

Quote:
Wondering too if I should copy working EDIABAS.INI from the rheingold embedded folder to the ista/p since that seems to work, but likely would be different since there's no icom emulation at play in my working ista/d...
When you run any program that uses ediabas, check the path of that running ediabas, this way you know which is which. I had three installs of ediabas which I finally created one .ini and symlinked to other installs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #64
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Code:
16-05-15 06:09:50,839 [Thread-15] [WARN] [] com.bmw.psdz.vehicle.base.topology.access.EthernetAccessLinkImpl: connection test failed. Attempt 0 of 3
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
but don't loose hope, I'll pm u what I got from FF1.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #65
Clutch M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I feel like you two are going to crack a code here haha
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #66
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch M4
I feel like you two are going to crack a code here haha
I wish I was that smart... The only person I know capable of that is TM but thisisdave is good too !
Appreciate 0