GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17’ F80

Please Advise; Track Set Up

New to the forum, new to bmws, new to F80. I have a 17' F80 4k miles, comp pack and I would very much like some advice on track prepping the car with acknowledging I will be sacrificing comfort. A little about me. I have extensive track experience with 2 wheels. I'm currently tracking my bike but thinking of transitioning fully to 4 wheels. Hitting the ground at +120 doesn't go over so well anymore!! Been racing with WERA and CCS for 30 years and countless track days with N2 and Motorcycle Excitement. My intentions this year will be 6-7 track days with the F80. I have been researching forums for about two weeks now with countless hours of reading to educate myself as much as possible prior to posting as to not waste anyones time. My questions I'm sure have been discussed on this forum but nothing very current, most post I found of interest were dated 2015. So I'm hoping some of you more experienced guys with the track might be able to chime in with some advice. My intentions are not to turn the car into a absolute race car, I do want to maintain some street drivability but it's not at the top of my list. It will not be a DD, more of a weekend car, week to the beach etc. So a stiff suspension is acceptable but I don't want it to be uncomfortable neither. I read an extensive write up from another member on his AST 5200 and he loved them and was okay with the stiffer ride even with his wife in the car. He mentioned he liked the feel of the race suspension on the street and knowing the aggressive nature of myself I may be in the same boat but I'm not sure hence why I'm creating this thread.

Please note I am leaning on a staggered set up 10" front, 11" rear so I do not want a suspension that will limit this option.

Here is what I have been able to discern so far:
KW V3 is the compromise for a street/track car...What I'm afraid of here is it may leave me wanting more on the track...Will the KW V3's be enough of an upgrade performance wise? I love the stance these give but cosmetics are not as important as performance for me but are these the perfect compromise? Will 10" fronts and 11" rear wheels work with this set up?

Ohlins R/T another option but I don't like the stance of the car, doesn't get low enough for my liking.

With the KW V3 do I add camber plates, opinions? Opinions on camber plates in general would be helpful also. I know its important for tire wear but critical for the ultimate set up? Too much for street driving?

JRZ Rs Pro, KW Clubsports, AST 5200: Not looking for a debate over which of these three are the best, more looking for pros or cons for these more track focused coil overs for street use. Total overkill for a guy doing 6-7 track days a year? The difference in lap times going from a KW V3 to one of these set ups significant or slight? Way too stiff for the street? Please advise. Again want to maintain some manners on the street but I don't want to be sorry for track purposes of not getting a two way set up half way into the season. Lap times will matter...

Tires: 18" set up seems to be the favorite: Open to any advice here but specifically would like some opinions between Apex staggered set up, 10'-front, 11" rear vs going with a set of OEM 513's 9" front, 10" rear. My concern with the Apex wheels is quality vs the OEM wheel.

Whatever set up I go with I do still want to be able to revert back to my 666's so please keep this in mind when offering advice.

Tune????....Will save that conversation for another thread.

Many thanks in advance for your help!!
Clint

Last edited by Clinton1009; 02-11-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Cliffnotes?

Here’s what you need to have fun:
18x10 square setup (or run oem 513M wheels)
I run MPsS tires but this season will be upgrading to R comps.
Upgraded fluid
Upgraded pads (I run Ferodo Ds1.11)
Drop (I’m fine with springs)

I don’t need a tune. The car is plenty fast without it. Some people say you need cooling once you tune.
Some people also complain of front tire chunking and need of camber plates. I never experienced that.

Here are a few of my videos which you may find helpful.
The track turn by turn I discuss my mods

Appreciate 3
jmg18708.00
jacobe92619.00
sly1types431.50
      02-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is a square set up the favorite in the paddock opposed to staggered or is this really a matter of preference and we are splitting hairs? I can get a good deal on a set of KW V3's. Would there be any reason to steer away from these?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I spoke with many people who were very dissatisfied with KWs at the track. I ran V2s in my previous car and they were too soft.

Try your car stock for now. You’ll have plenty fun especially in the hardest setting. Or just invest in a set of Ohlin suspension.

Wheels are a matter of preference. Square setup is easier to rotate. If I were to do it again I’d go square
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton1009 View Post
Is a square set up the favorite in the paddock opposed to staggered or is this really a matter of preference and we are splitting hairs? I can get a good deal on a set of KW V3's. Would there be any reason to steer away from these?
The KW V3’s have springs rates more ideal for streets. They also don’t have Camber plates, very important for alignment and tire wear purposeses. Also, they aren’t rebuildable, like other kits such as AST, Moton, and JRZ.

You can’t go wrong with any of the 3 brands I just mentioned
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
I spoke with many people who were very dissatisfied with KWs at the track. I ran V2s in my previous car and they were too soft.

Try your car stock for now. You’ll have plenty fun especially in the hardest setting. Or just invest in a set of Ohlin suspension.

Wheels are a matter of preference. Square setup is easier to rotate. If I were to do it again I’d go square
Tommy ty for your time and advice. If I steer away from the KW’s and take the Ohlins R/T off the table because I do want to lower the car with a coil over what options does that leave me? Just the more track focused 2 way set ups IE AST 5200’s, JRZ RS Pro?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
The KW V3’s have springs rates more ideal for streets. They also don’t have Camber plates, very important for alignment and tire wear purposeses. Also, they aren’t rebuildable, like other kits such as AST, Moton, and JRZ.

Do you believe with these three brands I am sacrificing most of my street drivability? Too stiff for street. Again I’m willing to sacrifice some street comfort I just don’t want it to be hateful,
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
OP: You're new here, welcome! There are other forums here besides the General Forum and are designed for specific subjects within those forums. When you post in these forums you will get people looking at your post who have answers to your specific questions.

You might want to check out these forums:
Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
OP: You're new here, welcome! There are other forums here besides the General Forum and are designed for specific subjects within those forums. When you post in these forums you will get people looking at your post who have answers to your specific questions.

You might want to check out these forums:
Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
Ty I will repost this in the track forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post

Do you believe with these three brands I am sacrificing most of my street drivability? Too stiff for street. Again I’m willing to sacrifice some street comfort I just don’t want it to be hateful,
Not at all. They all adjust well for street. I know JRZ definitely does
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
I have JRZ RS Pros on my E46 and E92. They are fantastic track focused suspensions, but they are buttery soft on the street when you're done - just put them to the recommended positions for street driving - 6 rebound 3 compression from full soft and you'll have no issues.

They will be my first choice when I upgrade my F82.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I have JRZ RS Pros on my E46 and E92. They are fantastic track focused suspensions, but they are buttery soft on the street when you're done - just put them to the recommended positions for street driving - 6 rebound 3 compression from full soft and you'll have no issues.

They will be my first choice when I upgrade my F82.
TY for your feedback! I am leaning more and more towards KW CS/ASt 5200 or the JRZ Rs and less and less away from the KW V3's.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #13
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Quote:
TY for your feedback! I am leaning more and more towards KW CS/ASt 5200 or the JRZ Rs and less and less away from the KW V3's.

I have AST 5200 and they are much better than the Ohlins were. Great set up.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #14
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
I have AST 5200 and they are much better than the Ohlins were. Great set up.
Whats your take on street compared to the softer stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Much better to me. They are firmer but do a much better job of dampening!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #16
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Ok, so how fast do you want to go? I know this is an odd question, but if you've been racing for 30 years you know what I mean. this car can be built to be very fast.
How important is lap time to you? As a racer, I'm willing to put up with a lot for a couple of seconds on the track.
Budget?

I would stay away from KW and from Ohlins btw. (I've had Dinan, Ohlins, JRZ, and MCS on this car fwiw).

I would go MCS single adjustable or doubles (at least 650lb/900 springs), Ground Control camber plates, and rear toe links at a minimum. MCS gives you the most tire/rim clearance and most options for offsets on the front of the car , which is the limiter on this chassis. JRZ / Ohlins / KW / etc... all will cost you at least 10-15mm of tire clearance on the front of the car due to the spring placement behind the tire on the strut.

Wheels are a preference. My favorite right now is 18x10.5 square. 18x10 and 18x11 is fine too, but I like the ability to rotate tires F/R and side to side. You haven't mentioned brakes?

Apex wheels are relatively strong (not indestructible) and cheap. (also very quick to replace if needed).
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)

Last edited by bracer; 02-11-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      02-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #17
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
Ok, so how fast do you want to go? I know this is an odd question, but if you've been racing for 30 years you know what I mean. this car can be built to be very fast.
How important is lap time to you? As a racer, I'm willing to put up with a lot for a couple of seconds on the track.
Budget?

I would stay away from KW and from Ohlins btw. (I've had Dinan, Ohlins, JRZ, and MCS on this car fwiw).

I would go MCS single adjustable or doubles (at least 650lb/900 springs), Ground Control camber plates, and rear toe links at a minimum. MCS gives you the most tire/rim clearance and most options for offsets on the front of the car , which is the limiter on this chassis. JRZ / Ohlins / KW / etc... all will cost you at least 10-15mm of tire clearance on the front of the car due to the spring placement behind the tire on the strut.

Wheels are a preference. My favorite right now is 18x10.5 square. 18x10 and 18x11 is fine too, but I like the ability to rotate tires F/R and side to side. You haven't mentioned brakes?

Apex wheels are relatively strong (not indestructible) and cheap. (also very quick to replace if needed).
Ok so here is where I'm at on to what extent I want to take the car as far as track-ability. I am 4th in line on a 2020 gt3 allocation. Fairly good chance I will see this allocation but probably not until late 2020, thats even if rumors hold true the car will drop early 2020. So until then I want to sort of feel my way around the track scene, learn the ends and outs so to speak with this M3. With that being said I don't want to take this M3 to a complete track car threshold but somewhere in between. Its not a DD but I want to be able to throw the kids and wife in the thing for weekend cruising and run to the beach for the week. I'm willing to spend the $ on the right parts just trying to find the right balance. Track times are important and its definitely in my nature to keep improving my lap times but not at the total cost of losing a decent ride for the wife and kids. What I have gathered so far including your input was to stay away from KW V3's and go for a more track focused coilover. I really like your input on the MCS set up. How do these ride on the street?

Brakes I was figuring for my first track day since I'm sure I will be put in intermediate to just run the stock pads and then go with a track pad for my second event. Am I better off rotating out pads for street/track right out the gate? I'm open to suggestions here aswell.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #18
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I’m running MCS 2WR dampers with F/R 600/900 lbf/in spring rates on my M4 and the street ride quality is far superior to a stock M3/4 (as well as my wife’s ‘18 240i x-drive). I’ve used Moton, JRZ, TCK and MCS setups on my e46 M3, e92 M3s and f82 M4 - the MCS setups are by far my favorite setups. BTW, you can start out with a set of MCS 1WNR dampers and upgrade to 2WR, or 3WR, dampers if you end up needing more performance/adjustability down the road.
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      02-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #19
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

I'm with M3SQRD on this one. The MCS 1RW is a great starting place, and can be upgraded. I went for the full coilover version of the the 2WR. With 600/500 (600/900 eqiv) it rode better than my friends 18' with comp package. (now on 800/700 and still rides pretty well). Camber plates will be a must as well. I would start with a minimum of good brake pads and new fluid as the car is pretty heavy and I suspect you are past most beginning drivers who start out with stock pads. From there I would add toe links to the rear which settles the car down a bit, especially on braking. Everything else at that point will be small gains. Brakes, monoballs, swaybars, etc...

Wheels are by choice, but the 18" is the way to go as it opens up tire options. Tires are a bigger can of worms, but NT01's, Toyo RR's, Hoosier, Pirelli DH slicks in that order are the basics of R compound speed. I personally like to get as much tire under the car as possible as it's a 3800lb machine with me in it, so you really can't have too much tire.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m running MCS 2WR dampers with F/R 600/900 lbf/in spring rates on my M4 and the street ride quality is far superior to a stock M3/4 (as well as my wife’s ‘18 240i x-drive). I’ve used Moton, JRZ, TCK and MCS setups on my e46 M3, e92 M3s and f82 M4 - the MCS setups are by far my favorite setups. BTW, you can start out with a set of MCS 1WNR dampers and upgrade to 2WR, or 3WR, dampers if you end up needing more performance/adjustability down the road.
Ty for your insight. You are the third to suggest MCS. At this point I think I’m down to the MCS 2 way or the AST 5200.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #21
Clinton1009
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
I'm with M3SQRD on this one. The MCS 1RW is a great starting place, and can be upgraded. I went for the full coilover version of the the 2WR. With 600/500 (600/900 eqiv) it rode better than my friends 18' with comp package. (now on 800/700 and still rides pretty well). Camber plates will be a must as well. I would start with a minimum of good brake pads and new fluid as the car is pretty heavy and I suspect you are past most beginning drivers who start out with stock pads. From there I would add toe links to the rear which settles the car down a bit, especially on braking. Everything else at that point will be small gains. Brakes, monoballs, swaybars, etc...

Wheels are by choice, but the 18" is the way to go as it opens up tire options. Tires are a bigger can of worms, but NT01's, Toyo RR's, Hoosier, Pirelli DH slicks in that order are the basics of R compound speed. I personally like to get as much tire under the car as possible as it's a 3800lb machine with me in it, so you really can't have too much tire.
Ty. #4 for MSC. Great input, much appreciated!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #22
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

I agree with the others on MCS (as well as Apex wheels). I have only run MCS suspensions on my e46's and not the F80, but have been more than impressed with the performance both on and off the track. Just as important to that is there customer service. You can give them a call at anytime and they will talk you through any setup or other questions/issues you have. Also will give another vote to Apex wheels. Ultimately not as strong as a fully forged wheel, but for the price as well as once again customer service you cant beat them.
Appreciate 0