Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
washm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Clunking after suspension install??

So I paid a local shop to swap my suspension back to stock. Had on some KW v3s that made absolutely no noise whatsoever, however hearing strange noises after going back to stock suspension.

Fast forward a week or so after the install, I can hear some clunking when going over bumps or very slight uneven road. The clunk sounds similar to almost a pot hole noise. This sound oddly only happens when the car has sat for a few hours and is cold afterwards is non existent. Today, when looking under the car in the front suspension area, it looks as though the rubber boot is torn.

The shop has since not picked up the phone, they're approximately 1 hour away from where i live. I have a feeling the torn boot is the culprit of the issue or perhaps related. I am unsure if they took the correct measures to even re-time the suspension before torqueing everything down - If anyone has any other things that should be checked such as bushings/front shock mount/sway bar tie rod, please suggest! Id love to know if there are any other common pitfalls when installing the suspension that perhaps should be looked into.

I have an appointment next week for another shop to look at the car, can anyone suggest some causes to the sounds i'm hearing? It almost even seems that something is loose. I am wondering if there could be any sort of permanent damage to the car as a result of this?

If anyone has any plans of actions, please suggest. Preferably, i don't want to bring it back to the same shop only to have them make matters worse/or not fix it. The car is still under warranty.

Last edited by washm3; 02-10-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
The boot looks destroyed, likely the source. It will need to be replaced.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0