R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

04-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #1
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Edmunds.com’s M4 review

Enjoy

Appreciate 1
      04-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I personally find him rather drab, and subsequently, this M4 review to be pretty basic. I can see why MT dumped him.
      04-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
CarbonFiberCo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Decent review for the general public that would be following Edmonds. A bit boring if you ask me.. but I can still appreciate it. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

He's wrong when he says the carbon fiber drive shaft was removed "a year or two ago"? It was supposed to happen in Nov 2017 and there has yet to be a confirmed M3/M4 with steel driveshaft.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Also the car is lighter than all it's competition ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1062930

The dude went to the F8X launch and met with the BMW M engineers. Fast forward and comes out present day misinformed going into zero detail about some of the under the cover updates BMW made to the '18 ZCP. F8X remains the lightest and most raw vehicle in its class. C63S? Porky 2 ton piggy with cheap bacon meat interior. Alfa? At least 150-200lbs heavier w/ sloppy e-brakes. RS5? Same fat chick on skates with engine on wrong side of front axle design.

The only vehicle that real life people track is the F8X. There are legitimate reasons why this is the case.

He's not only drab, he's gotten lazy, lost a step. It all makes sense why MT dumped him. Who seriously goes to edmunds.com for anything materially important?

/rant

Last edited by THEROK; 05-01-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jaymax85711.00
      05-02-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post

The dude went to the F8X launch and met with the BMW M engineers. Fast forward and comes out present day misinformed going into zero detail about some of the under the cover updates BMW made to the '18 ZCP. F8X remains the lightest and most raw vehicle in its class. C63S? Porky 2 ton piggy with cheap bacon meat interior. Alfa? At least 150-200lbs heavier w/ sloppy e-brakes. RS5? Same fat chick on skates with engine on wrong side of front axle design.

The only vehicle that real life people track is the F8X. There are legitimate reasons why this is the case.

He's not only drab, he's gotten lazy, lost a step. It all makes sense why MT dumped him. Who seriously goes to edmunds.com for anything materially important?

/rant
Jeez, is there a specific reason as to why you throw so much hate towards the other brands?
The M is a nice car, but you make it seem like it is far superior, which it isn't.
The C class has a MUCH nicer and solid interior, the Alfa feels like a MUCH better road car, and the Audi is just pure class inside and out.

Each car has its merits, don't be so aggro
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
Quote:

/rant
Jeez, is there a specific reason as to why you throw so much hate towards the other brands?
The M is a nice car, but you make it seem like it is far superior, which it isn't.
The C class has a MUCH nicer and solid interior, the Alfa feels like a MUCH better road car, and the Audi is just pure class inside and out.

Each car has its merits, don't be so aggro
Alfa is definitely not much better road car.

Suspension is awesome but the quicker ratio steering and brake by wire are 2 things that prevent it from being a great daily. Check any of the reviews where the journalist had it for more than a week.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #10
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

Quote:

/rant
anywhere i have looked the alfa seems ~200lbs lighter than the F80. the e-brakes are definitely weird though. i drove a base in oakville a few months ago when i was checking it out as an alternative to the F80. the quick turn in i kinda liked. interior was nice but prefer F80. C class is pretty but not as purposeful as the F80 imo.
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88 View Post
anywhere i have looked the alfa seems ~200lbs lighter than the F80. the e-brakes are definitely weird though. i drove a base in oakville a few months ago when i was checking it out as an alternative to the F80. the quick turn in i kinda liked. interior was nice but prefer F80. C class is pretty but not as purposeful as the F80 imo.
Can you post where you have seen the weight difference in favor of Alfa.

I've seen quite the opposite.

Pls see links below...

http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/alf...-v-comparison/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...s-amg-comparo/
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Rampant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 SMB M3; '09 gen1.5 997 T

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Suspension is awesome but the quicker ratio steering and brake by wire are 2 things that prevent it from being a great daily. Check any of the reviews where the journalist had it for more than a week.
UK Evo magazine are running one as a long termer. No mention of your supposed disadvantages.

I test drove the Quadrifoglio extensively. Including a test day at a motor proving ground. The brakes are great, as is the steering. The brakes only come in for criticism where the tester had a *limited* exposure to the car. You learn how to use those brakes quite easily. And the steering? I loved it. Reminded me of the Evo I sold in order to get in the market for that Quadrifoglio. Fast and direct with a bunch of feel and feedback.

OK - so now I've ordered an M3 instead. That in no way reflects the car, rather than the distance to my nearest service centre. If Alfa had a dealership closer to my home I'd probably have gone with the Quadrifoglio.

That doesn't mean I'm throwing a downer on the M3. It's a fantastic car, to be sure. Just different to the Alfa. Which is great.

Both absolutely spanking cars, no question.

Yours Aye

Mark H
      05-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
UK Evo magazine are running one as a long termer. No mention of your supposed disadvantages.

I test drove the Quadrifoglio extensively. Including a test day at a motor proving ground. The brakes are great, as is the steering. The brakes only come in for criticism where the tester had a *limited* exposure to the car. You learn how to use those brakes quite easily. And the steering? I loved it. Reminded me of the Evo I sold in order to get in the market for that Quadrifoglio. Fast and direct with a bunch of feel and feedback.

OK - so now I've ordered an M3 instead. That in no way reflects the car, rather than the distance to my nearest service centre. If Alfa had a dealership closer to my home I'd probably have gone with the Quadrifoglio.

That doesn't mean I'm throwing a downer on the M3. It's a fantastic car, to be sure. Just different to the Alfa. Which is great.

Both absolutely spanking cars, no question.

Yours Aye

Mark H
The quicker ratio steering is great on the track and should be more precise than the M3. However on a daily or long road trip where you constantly have to keep track of the steering, it will get tiring. That's just my opinion.

For UK biased note on the steering see Autocar's comment...
"But what Alfa was ever perfect? Saunders didn't care for its superswift steering or adaptive damping and we all struggled with the feel (or lack thereof) of its brake-by-wire system."

This is further emphasized in the Britain's Best Driver's Car video, which by t he way, it did surprisingly well. I believe Matt Farah One Drive Take also reported on the steering. Mind you as an occasional car, I think it slightly better drivers car than the M3 overall.

I personally want the Alfa to do well. Alfa is sold by the same dealership here as Maserati and they offer much better experience than our local BMW. Ive considered getting the Alfa on many occasions but the brakes isn't something I could get used to. Atleast not in the harsh winters we get up here.

--------

On another note, just when we were complaining about the brakes, Brembo comes out with this news...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...am-says-brembo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

Quote:
The quicker ratio steering is great on the track and should be more precise than the M3. However on a daily or long road trip where you constantly have to keep track of the steering, it will get tiring. That's just my opinion.

For UK biased note on the steering see Autocar's comment...
"But what Alfa was ever perfect? Saunders didn't care for its superswift steering or adaptive damping and we all struggled with the feel (or lack thereof) of its brake-by-wire system."

This is further emphasized in the Britain's Best Driver's Car video, which by t he way, it did surprisingly well. I believe Matt Farah One Drive Take also reported on the steering. Mind you as an occasional car, I think it slightly better drivers car than the M3 overall.

I personally want the Alfa to do well. Alfa is sold by the same dealership here as Maserati and they offer much better experience than our local BMW. Ive considered getting the Alfa on many occasions but the brakes isn't something I could get used to. Atleast not in the harsh winters we get up here.

--------

On another note, just when we were complaining about the brakes, Brembo comes out with this news...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...am-says-brembo
i'll second that. not sure which dealer you went to but maserati/alfa in oakville was great. very good experience there--i'd definitely go back if they had a product for me. bottom line was manual was a deal breaker for me and to a lesser extent there was no negotiating. that was also when i wasn't ready to spend 100K+ and was still seriously considering the 340i.
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:39 AM   #15
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I didn't feel the brakes to be weird, and I loved the steering feel and the ride comfort.
Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the interior.
Appreciate 0