Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

01-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

2018 M3 Review!

Made a quick video of a friends 2018 m3. Car is great. I think the only thing its missing is an M Performance exhaust!

Still need a lot more practice with editing the videos, so bare with me.

Enjoy!

Attached Images

01-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
TheShaddix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2017

Hey, not bad! I know it's not easy to make videos, so my only suggestion is to spend a bit less time talking about each feature of the car so that it doesn't get redundant. Btw, I also wondered about the holes in the seats as I got a comp package m3 as well. I asked one of the bmw genius guys at my dealership about those and he said they provide ventilation for your back. It works really well with windows down. You feel the air rushing in through them. I don't think it works at all if the windows are up.

As for the exhaust, I actually drove an m3 with the m performance exhaust on it right before getting mine. I did not find the sound any louder/better than the stock comp. one. I personally think it's the biggest waste of money on these cars.
      01-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaddix View Post
Hey, not bad! I know it's not easy to make videos, so my only suggestion is to spend a bit less time talking about each feature of the car so that it doesn't get redundant. Btw, I also wondered about the holes in the seats as I got a comp package m3 as well. I asked one of the bmw genius guys at my dealership about those and he said they provide ventilation for your back. It works really well with windows down. You feel the air rushing in through them. I don't think it works at all if the windows are up.

As for the exhaust, I actually drove an m3 with the m performance exhaust on it right before getting mine. I did not find the sound any louder/better than the stock comp. one. I personally think it's the biggest waste of money on these cars.
Aprecciate the feedback. I have to keep practicing the editing.

My friend had an m4 with m performance exhaust and a Turner mid pipe. Car definitely sounded a lot better than stock. I do agree that it's really difficult to get good sound out of these 6 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
TheShaddix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Keep practicing! It's not easy to get all the points across on camera as you would otherwise if talking to a person. You should also write down all the points you want to mention about the car (engine, suspension, seats, exhaust, etc) and only mention each once. Not sure what editing program you use, but I would recommend Adobe Premiere. I noticed your audio was out of sync which tells me you record it separately from camera. The trick to aligning video to audio is to have both camera and recorder audio and match the sound waves in editing. You can check out my yt channel (same name as here), I am also trying to make review videos. Never done that before, so it's definitely a lot of practicing and learning from mistakes.
      01-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Keep practicing! It's not easy to get all the points across on camera as you would otherwise if talking to a person. You should also write down all the points you want to mention about the car (engine, suspension, seats, exhaust, etc) and only mention each once. Not sure what editing program you use, but I would recommend Adobe Premiere. I noticed your audio was out of sync which tells me you record it separately from camera. The trick to aligning video to audio is to have both camera and recorder audio and match the sound waves in editing. You can check out my yt channel (same name as here), I am also trying to make review videos. Never done that before, so it's definitely a lot of practicing and learning from mistakes.
Not sure why the audio is out of sync. I record it on my phone directly, but I also notice it being out of sync. I am starting to think it might be the program Im using, that actually making it out of sync, once I transfer it from my phone to the computer.
      01-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
Sales@wheelsdc.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
Not sure why the audio is out of sync. I record it on my phone directly, but I also notice it being out of sync. I am starting to think it might be the program Im using, that actually making it out of sync, once I transfer it from my phone to the computer.
What program are you using?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@wheelsdc.com View Post
What program are you using?
Im using VideoPad on my PC. Not sure why the video is coming out like that. I checked and the original plays good on the phone without any delay. Im going to try out PowerDirector App on the phone. It has a lot of features for editing videos and I can do it right on the phone.
      01-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #10
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

FRONT plate on M? Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

You keep your car in Sports+ all the times? dude thats insane! The car feels like a truck in Sports +. Heck, even the instructors are the BMW M Driving School recommend always keeping the steering in comfort for the most natural feeling and feedback. but whatever floats your boat man. to each his own.

I never drive it in anything other than Comfort personally so I can maneuver the car the way it was meant to be

Also, you don't lose the lumbar support in the competition package seats. Lumbar support is still there just not adjustable like the non competition seats.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #12
TheShaddix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think the sport+ steering mode is perfect for highway speeds. It's just too easy to turn in comfort and can get a bit sketchy unless you're just cruising. Sport+ keeps the steering tighter and reduces the wobbly effect. But on twisty roads comfort steering is definitely more natural and easier to throw the car around.
      01-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
You keep your car in Sports+ all the times? dude thats insane! The car feels like a truck in Sports +. Heck, even the instructors are the BMW M Driving School recommend always keeping the steering in comfort for the most natural feeling and feedback. but whatever floats your boat man. to each his own.

I never drive it in anything other than Comfort personally so I can maneuver the car the way it was meant to be

Also, you don't lose the lumbar support in the competition package seats. Lumbar support is still there just not adjustable like the non competition seats.
Yea, I prefer the tighter steering. On the m5 sport + is way too much, but on the M3/M4 for me its perfect. I did the M driving school (1 Day) and the instructors I had, they suggested to keep it in Sport (to keep the same setting as when you start the car). I made sure to change the setting to Sport +, even on the track. I ended up winning the timed course, so it definitely does not affect performance, but I do agree, everyone has their own preference.

Yea, I missed that part about the lumber support. My fault. I read somewhere that the Competition seats do not have it (read it a while back) and did not even think to check when I drove the car. Reason is also cause I never use it on my cars, but my fault for giving wrong info.
      01-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think the sport+ steering mode is perfect for highway speeds. It's just too easy to turn in comfort and can get a bit sketchy unless you're just cruising. Sport+ keeps the steering tighter and reduces the wobbly effect. But on twisty roads comfort steering is definitely more natural and easier to throw the car around.
I agree, but I do prefer the tighter steering, even on twisty roads. I feel like the car is a bit more planted. I took the 2016 M4 I had on the Dragon Tail, which is just none stop turns and had the steering in Sport + the entire time. I did not even think to change it, because I am so used to it and it feels perfect to me.

I am sure that if I tried Comfort or even just Sport, I would see the benefit of that as well. But I just prefer the tighter steering for all types of driving (highway or twistys). To each his/her own though.
      01-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
Yea, I prefer the tighter steering. On the m5 sport + is way too much, but on the M3/M4 for me its perfect. I did the M driving school (1 Day) and the instructors I had, they suggested to keep it in Sport (to keep the same setting as when you start the car). I made sure to change the setting to Sport +, even on the track. I ended up winning the timed course, so it definitely does not affect performance, but I do agree, everyone has their own preference.

Yea, I missed that part about the lumber support. My fault. I read somewhere that the Competition seats do not have it (read it a while back) and did not even think to check when I drove the car. Reason is also cause I never use it on my cars, but my fault for giving wrong info.
nahh don't worry about it man, not a big deal just stating. In fact, many have this idea that there is no lumbar support on the ZCP seats only after browsing the forums here did I learn that it's there just not adjustable. Thanks for the review. Very good quality
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
TheShaddix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

now that I think about it I do keep my steering in sport all the time. When I am tired and just cruising I switch to comfort, but otherwise it does feel better when it's got some resistance. I do wish that these modes changed more than just how tight the wheel is. It would be awesome to actually have lower steering ratio as well in sport/sport+ with less steering angle as opposed to comfort.
      01-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
Tharian
Rep
Drives: M4

Hey Ecoce1,

This is a really solid overview. Great job! Especially the part covering the exhaust; the video & sound work were both really good. The camera work for your moving shots are also well-stabilized.

One comment / question: are you using a microphone? Doesn’t sound like it — you can get one for pretty cheap and it’ll help cut out some of that ambient noise, which can be a bit loud when driving & talking! Check out Rode’s lavilier mics.

Would definitely be interested to see a video on your experience with your M5. Edit: I see that you DO have an M5 review on your channel! I subscribed and will definitely check it out

Keep it up!

Devin

Last edited by Tharian; 01-24-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #18
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharian View Post
Hey Ecoce1,

This is a really solid overview. Great job! Especially the part covering the exhaust; the video & sound work were both really good. The camera work for your moving shots are also well-stabilized.

One comment / question: are you using a microphone? Doesn’t sound like it — you can get one for pretty cheap and it’ll help cut out some of that ambient noise, which can be a bit loud when driving & talking! Check out Rode’s lavilier mics.

Would definitely be interested to see a video on your experience with your M5. Edit: I see that you DO have an M5 review on your channel! I subscribed and will definitely check it out

Keep it up!

Devin
Appreciate the feedback. Just ordered Rode VideoMic Me Directional Mic. I am glad to hear the feedback. I am sure it will help a lot to keep making the videos become a lot better and smoother. Want to make sure that the videos are educational and at the same time, do not put people to sleep.
      05-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #19
E31BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
nahh don't worry about it man, not a big deal just stating. In fact, many have this idea that there is no lumbar support on the ZCP seats only after browsing the forums here did I learn that it's there just not adjustable. Thanks for the review. Very good quality
Hey there, M3 and M4 seats do not come with lumbar support; they do not come with the air bladder, motors, or control to operate any lumbar on comp m3 and m4 vehicles, other than the f83 (conv), since they don't come with comp seats as an option (even if you get comp). If you look at the build and parts diagram, you will see that with comp, you don't get any of these; not sure where you heard otherwise.
Appreciate 0