ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

06-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #4687
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Looks like a relatively sunny nordic day for the match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 2
minn199064.50
myzmak2284.50
      06-12-2021, 07:47 PM   #4688
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [5.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It's so nice to know some of our crazies escaped to Canada; From North Vancouver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Cayman GTS sounds lovely. Congrats minn19

and GT4 also sounds lovely. Congrats to you.

and that is crazy re the mods. I have now browsed a bit more and found the F8X vs thread you mentioned - hilariously long. longer than SSOTT II!

GG got banned for a meme? did it involve buck teeth? (as that is my reaction always)

and agreed looks matter. as i said, I damn near got an RS6 Avant based solely on looks.
Man I'm so happy too see you around, I'm declaring today an official Canada day! There wasn't one previously, I presume, and the name seems kinda goose.

What's up? Working still too much?
Well, July 1 WAS canada day but i guess, uhhhh <looks at calendar> June 12 works too……just be weird that nobody got a holiday for it……

And, yeah, working lots. Its been busy, but busy is good. Have been working from home for the last 15 months (i.e. COVID) so that has been good as I've spent a LOT of it working at our place in the mountains, which is quite nice. Cause I can ski during the winter, golf/hike during the summer, etc.

What's new with you? How is life in Finland? How are the Finns in general? (other than nearly killing Danish football players by giving them heart attacks from what I see in the news today…..) Did you ever buy a car to replace Peter?

Did i mention i am supposed to be in Finland next summer ('22)?

Quote:
It's so nice to know some of our crazies escaped to Canada; From North Vancouver:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Well, shit, I had no idea Queen Lizzie was handing those out but …that seems pretty legit. I mean, signed and everything, so fuck. I guess no more masks for me…….

(And one thing COVID has been REALLY good at up here as much as down there is having all our crazies reveal themselves)
      06-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #4689
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wonder if this lady is regretful of stealing this ball from a 10-year-old? Given she's on video doing it forever, if she is, she'll have lots of opportunities to tell people about it

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
minn199064.50
      06-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #4690
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In twitter autos news, someone came back to their parking spot and found a new swimmin hole!

Quote:
Appreciate 2
minn199064.50
myzmak2284.50
      06-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #4691
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Q
Attached Images

06-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #4692
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't want to start any rumors, but just spotted this and it's looking toward Apple's Flying Saucer Campus so that's what's probably burning:

From this angle it looks like brush & trees nowhere near there ... still ... could be Apple's campus.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
minn199064.50
      06-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #4693
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't watch any of these shows but ... good lord ... anyone who doesn't tear up over this is a monster.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
minn199064.50
      06-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #4694
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S

Quote:
I don't watch any of these shows but ... good lord ... anyone who doesn't tear up over this is a monster.
Wow, that is impressive and moving. I didn't tear up, but felt something so half monster?

Unfortunately, I deal with terminal kids a lot via my work so I've become somewhat jaded for personal protection sake is my guess.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott13671.50
      06-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #4695
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S

Other sad news, was any one WKRP fans like I was as a kid?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/enter...ath/index.html
Appreciate 3
GrussGott13671.50
myzmak2284.50
      06-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #4696
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

AWWW MAN! WKRP was a great show and we just watched it again on Hulu a few years back.

On a related note, Jan Smithers who played Bailey Quarters, was a teenager in California in spring 1966 - a Newsweek reporter was writing a story on crazy teenagers and stopped by the beach to take some pics and this one made the cover:

Inside there was another one in the article:

From those pics she was offered gigs that eventually led to WKRP in 1978

Quote:
Appreciate 2
minn199064.50
myzmak2284.50
      06-18-2021, 07:47 PM   #4697
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Today's random bit of wisdom
Whatever success you have is mostly due to luck and your smarts to not fuck it up.

Great example:
10 years ago my wife graduated from law school into the worst law grad hiring environment in years. People from top schools were going jobless and 2-3 years worth of grads were more/less worthless - if you didn't go to a top 10 school, no job and even if you did, maybe.

Now, just 10 years later, it's a law grad drought and firms are paying up to 4 bonuses; many large firms are paying 6 figure signing bonuses, spring, fall, and EOY bonuses in addition to luxury gifts, car services, leased company cars, WFH arrangements, et al.

In short, the same 2 people with the same skills and same degrees can stumble into VASTLY different environments that more/less determine the rest of their careers.

Luckily for us, her law school was mostly for a break from her normal job and something we were able to negotiate price on* and afford ... but for many of her classmates, they were saddled with 6 figure debt and no job.

To this day her alumni class has one of the fewest # of grads still at firms in the school's history.

note: tuition at universities is ALWAYS negotiable - if you create a little bit of leverage.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
myzmak2284.50
      Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #4698
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [5.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [5.00]
Quote:
Whatever success you have is mostly due to luck and your smarts to not fuck it up.

Great example:
10 years ago my wife graduated from law school into the worst law grad hiring environment in years. People from top schools were going jobless and 2-3 years worth of grads were more/less worthless - if you didn't go to a top 10 school, no job and even if you did, maybe.

Now, just 10 years later, it's a law grad drought and firms are paying up to 4 bonuses; many large firms are paying 6 figure signing bonuses, spring, fall, and EOY bonuses in addition to luxury gifts, car services, leased company cars, WFH arrangements, et al.

In short, the same 2 people with the same skills and same degrees can stumble into VASTLY different environments that more/less determine the rest of their careers.

Luckily for us, her law school was mostly for a break from her normal job and something we were able to negotiate price on* and afford ... but for many of her classmates, they were saddled with 6 figure debt and no job.

To this day her alumni class has one of the fewest # of grads still at firms in the school's history.

note: tuition at universities is ALWAYS negotiable - if you create a little bit of leverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

I loved Herb Tarlek. And the whole damn show. One of the best comedies ever put on the TV.

Quote:

Great example:

Yup. I've seen this cycle run through a few times. Fact is, though, those that graduate in harder times tend to do better in the long run. Having to put the effort into your career makes for a better lawyer than one who gets it handed to them.

(That said, the current 1st year associate salaries in the US are getting pretty insane.)
      Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #4699
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post

Fact is, though, those that graduate in harder times tend to do better in the long run. Having to put the effort into your career makes for a better lawyer than one who gets it handed to them.
ehhhh ... I dunno about that, depending. My wife's law class (and the few before/after it that we know about) I would characterize as not doing so hot.

It's a T14 school so expensive and many/most students expected to graduate with a job ... entitlement mentality TBH. Here's kinda the breakdown:

(1.) The top 5% - they did fine - big law - like the top 30% usually do

(2.) The next 35% - mixed bag, ~30% Big Law, 20% in-house corporate lawyers, 30% random corp jobs, 15% small firms, 5% private practice

(3.) The bottom 60% - replace Big Law with unknown

In the past, 50% of those people would've been Big Law and the rest gigs corporations, startups, etc.

The women especially fell out in large nums - about 80%!

Net-net: at least here in the US, a lot of those grads w/ a big expensive law degree aren't lawyers and/or aren't using their legal training other than to get a corporate job.

Basically all the new M&A and corporate work is driving the US boom now just like shale oil did for most of Western Canada in the 2000-2020 era.

Quote:
Appreciate 0