ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-21-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
sunjiaming2004
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

Issue with pre-LCI LED headlight?

The headlight on the driver side of my M4 is not projecting as far as the passenger side, and is fairly noticeable when dark.
Did some testing, and it is looking like a small part of the headlight on the driver side (circled in red) is not lighting up in automatic mode, and only lights up when switch to manual.
All photos are taken with the wheel pointed straight ahead, and you can see its missing a beam on the right/driver side in the photo with the yellow barrier.

Just want to figure out if this is normal behaviour or not being booking into a dealership.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
If you have adaptive lights (they say adaptive on them) then they are supposed to switch off the element that would dazzle any oncoming driver. If it looks like there is another car coming, then elements will switch off, so if you did the test in that car park with shiny metal posts, there is a good chance that the car thought it looked like a car in front and did its thing and switched off elements. You need to try facing a dark wall and see how consistent things are then.

If you don't have adaptive lights, then none of this applies of course
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Mine does the same thing. In reverse both -bumps- light up, in drive only one of them does (passenger I believe)
      10-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
If you have adaptive lights (they say adaptive on them) then they are supposed to switch off the element that would dazzle any oncoming driver. If it looks like there is another car coming, then elements will switch off, so if you did the test in that car park with shiny metal posts, there is a good chance that the car thought it looked like a car in front and did its thing and switched off elements. You need to try facing a dark wall and see how consistent things are then.

What you describe is the Glare Free High Beams and would only apply to the high beams, which are powered by the bottom half of the headlights. The OP is pointing to the upper section of his headlights, which are for the low beams. In this case, it would be a question of the Variable Light Distribution, which varies the low beam light pattern based on road speed and surrounding lighting.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

This looks like a legitimate issue in my opinion. It could be software or hardware related. I would recommend a dealership stop, especially if you are still in warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post

Anti-Dazzle only works when in motion of 35-45 mph depending as what value has been coded.
Appreciate 0