proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

3er's BAVSOUND Stage 1 Review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Magazine Layout

Traditional Layout

Installation

First and foremost, watch BAVSOUND’s installation video on YouTube. The install will realistically take 4-5 hours and isn't as simple as the video makes it look. However, the installation is very achievable for even novice DIY’ers. It takes patience and attention, but it’s ultimately quite simple. When starting on the driver’s side front door, one of the plastic pry tools immediately broke when attempting to remove the panel that covers the two screws. So, what's the trick? Insert the pry tool on the bottom side (see picture on the next page) and pull up and out just a touch to release one of the clips. At that point, set the pry tool down and use your hands, with a decent amount of force, to pry the cover from bottom to top.

After this step, the next (very minor) trouble area was removing the door panel. However, once I realized where one of the plastic clips was located, it was easy as pie (notice the hole in the top right corner of the photo below – that’s where you should start prying the door panel off). One thing to note is that once you successfully replace the speakers in one door panel, the other three are much easier because you’ll learn how and where to separate each panel.

As others have recommended, do not disconnect the door panel. Leave everything connected, with the exception of a plug or two, to gain a bit of headroom, and set the panel on a box while working. This saves a good amount of time and prevents added risk of accidental damage when prying off the window/door lock mechanism. At that point, the speakers are very easily installed. One thing to note, however, is that I accidentally installed the thin foam rings that are should be placed between the door and speaker. Instead, I used 3M adhesive spray and installed them on the front of the speaker several weeks before the install – DOH! After speaking with a good audiophile friend of mine and BAVSOUND, they stated that the rings are designed to prevent the speaker from rattling on the door panel. Luckily, no rattles are present.

Next, create a paper template to use before cutting the sound deadening. Remember when cutting that this stuff is more function than form. Therefore, don't worry too much about beautifully laying it out unless you'll toss and turn in the coming nights knowing it wasn't a work of art.

The center channel was very simple provided that you have a tool similar to what BAVSOUND ships as a part of their toolkit. I ended up purchasing this tool and it worked like a champ. Due to the screw length and center channel speaker bracket, I ended up just snugging the center channel down to prevent stripping the holes by over-tightening. The back two speakers & tweeters on the rear deck are incredibly easy to replace - if only the entire system was this simple!!

This is a bit hard to see, but I had to cut a small tab off of the tweeter mount on the rear door panels with a box cutter so that the BAVSOUND tweeter would click into place.

It’s worth noting that the HK midranges were quite cheap feeling and light. However, the tweeters had decent weight to them. I suspect the BAVSOUND tweeters were only heavier due to the metal casing versus HK’s plastic casing.

Yes, I made a boo-boo on the HK midrange on the far left .

Sound

NOTE: I used Bluetooth as my source since it's the most convenient and likely the most used option of owners. After comparing CD's at BAVSOUND's recommendation (yes, I still have those), I didn't find much of a noticeable difference between the two. Any minor differences are further negated when driving.

So, how does it sound?! To be honest, I was initially very displeased. A lot of harsh frequencies were present in the 2 KHz range. With a combination of speaker break-in and EQ adjustment, I’m happy to report that I am extremely pleased with them. Now, to be honest, we’re talking diminishing returns. In my opinion, the BAVSOUND system won’t “blow away” a well EQ’d Harmon Kardon system. However, I’d venture to say that most of BMW's customers don’t find great EQ settings for the HK system. If leaving the EQ flat – HK vs. BAVSOUND, BAVSOUND will win hands down. They're naturally more balanced across the frequency range whereas the HK system sounds quite flat until tinkering is performed. Although BAVSOUND recommends leaving the EQ completely flat in their videos, use this as a starting point and adjust to taste. To better balance the system for my ears and tame a bit of the 2 kHz region, I ended up with the following settings.

"Driving" Settings:
Treble: 0
Bass: +2
Balance: 0
Fader: 0
Logic 7: OFF
100 Hz: +2
200 Hz: 0
500 Hz: 0
1 kHz: +1
2 kHz: -3
5 kHz: 0
10 kHz: 0

After using the following settings, I became very pleased with the system. It’s incredibly tight. As others have mentioned, the mid-bass is much more present and overall the system sounds more natural over the frequency spectrum.

I like a lot of genres for music, but I’m mostly into Blues, Rock, and Jazz. I dabble in other genres as well (good music is good music), but I used those as my testing ground due to my familiarity with “how they should sound.”

“I’m Old Fashioned” by John Coltrane
This song sounds fantastic on this system. The piano is clear, the trumpet and saxophone are crisp, and the cymbals/drums sizzle. Everything sounds airy, as they should with this recording. No instruments or frequencies overpowered one another and it was sublime. The system also remains quite balanced with instruments panned to either the left or right while representing space quite well.

“One Of These Nights” by The Eagles
In my opinion, this song is a bit harder to pull off well due to the guitar solo later in the song. On unbalanced systems, the solo is typically too harsh due to how much treble has been mixed on the guitar. I’m happy to report that these speakers handled the entire song and the solo very well without being fatiguing to the ear. Harmonies were well placed and balanced, the bass guitar sounds incredible at the beginning while the expected hint of space/reverb is represented very well.

Of course, I sat and listened to many more songs (Time Out Of Mind, Free, Skyfall, Money For Nothing, Ten Long Years, I Would Do Anything For You, Hotel California [Hell Freezes Over version], among many others). As much as I’d love to cover each one, I’ll end up sounding like a broken record – very even and balanced, improved low-end, sizzling highs, crisp midrange, etc.

Conclusion: Should I Buy?

Now is the part where a recommendation is in order. I walk away from this experience quite pleased with the system. I can’t say that I’m left speechless, as I am used to hearing high quality audio out of my home system (Bowers & Wilkins + Marantz). Those that have a nice home setup will likely have a similar opinion just because a car system can’t compete very well with such setups.

A well EQ’d HK system will satisfy the ears of most. BAVSOUND, fortunately, takes BMW's offerings over the edge for those of us that are serious about audio, but lack the interest (or budget) to rip out amps, custom fit speakers, etc. For the money, I believe the system is well worth the upgrade for discerning listeners. If you’re not a discerning listener, spend your money elsewhere. As is the case with many upgrades, this is a case of diminishing returns. I.e., I don’t feel that the system is 2x better than an EQ'd HK system to justify the cost. Instead, one should intend to pay 2x the price for 20% better sound. In the audio world, however, this is quite significant.

-3er

Pros:
  • Quite balanced with minimal EQ adjustment
  • Improved mid-bass frequencies
  • Inexpensive upgrade for 14 speakers
  • Packaged well, high quality materials
  • Handsome speakers/tweeters
  • HK top harshness eliminated

Cons:
  • 2 KHz region a bit harsh without EQ adjustment
  • Installation video is misleading with how simple/difficult the panels are to remove
  • Diminishing returns at play

Tips:
  • Take your time!
  • Make a paper template before cutting the sound deadening material
  • Don't disconnect the door panels. Set the panel on a box while working to save time and reduce the risk of damaging the panel
  • Use 3M double sided tape behind the wires to prevent rattle
  • Consider wrapping the plastic clips with electrical tape to prevent rattle
  • Bundle the extra wire and zip tie them
  • Don't over-tighten the center channel midrange. Tighten until snug
  • Be careful when clipping the door panels back on the car - ensure they are lined up with the holes. Consider purchasing extra clips found here

Update: April 13, 2015
After having the system installed for a few weeks, I noticed door rattles on two of the four panels. After further inspection, I found that I flattened a few of the clips when putting the panels back on. This might sound obvious, but be very careful when reattaching the door panels to ensure each clip lines up with its respective hole. Without doing so, you're very likely to flatten a few. I replaced the few that were flattened with some OEM units from Amazon (link here). Surprisingly, they're of higher quality than the white original clips and the foam is a touch thicker.

I also found a few original clips in which the thin foam rubber pad that goes between it and the door panel had fallen off during the speaker install. After replacing those (take them from the set you get from Amazon) and putting just a 2" strip of 3M double-sided foam pad between the bottom edge of the door panel where it could rattle against the bare metal, I have been rattle free.

I'm not sure which of the fixes actually remediated the problem, but I did not want to remove the door panel again (of which I now feel like a pro, lol)!

Last edited by 3er; 04-23-2015 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 22
zamboni1124.50
      03-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the how too... Great Work, are you planning on upgrading the Subs?

An the 1st Picture is pure sex man.. Its classy, staged perfectly.

An I was your 100th...Just saying
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Great write up! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Thanks for the how too... Great Work, are you planning on upgrading the Subs?

An the 1st Picture is pure sex man.. Its classy, staged perfectly.

An I was your 100th...Just saying
Lol, I appreciate the appreciate . I would very much like to upgrade the subs, but am waiting to see if BAVSOUND releases their unicorn sub upgrade.
      03-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Great write up! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks!
      03-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

One of the most professional, well-documented, and well-informed writeups I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Lol, I appreciate the appreciate . I would very much like to upgrade the subs, but am waiting to see if BAVSOUND releases their unicorn sub upgrade.
Please keep us posted. Again, great write up
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw View Post
One of the most professional, well-documented, and well-informed writeups I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing!
Wow - very kind. Thanks!
      03-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

What's your take on just upgrading the front doors and center speakers?
      03-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
What's your take on just upgrading the front doors and center speakers?
It's not a bad option if you plan to fade your music to the front. It seems that many do that to have a more natural soundstage.
      03-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Great write up. Very realistic in terms of what to expect. I think the overall clarity the upgrade provides make sit worthwhile to me. Being able to turn up the volume and not just hear a lot of distortion is great.

Really hope Bavsound comes up with a sub replacement. I think it would make a huge difference. Of course I wonder how much they will charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Nice write-up!

What source were you using for the music? Can the HU even play lossless or HD audio?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
Great write up. Very realistic in terms of what to expect. I think the overall clarity the upgrade provides make sit worthwhile to me. Being able to turn up the volume and not just hear a lot of distortion is great.

Really hope Bavsound comes up with a sub replacement. I think it would make a huge difference. Of course I wonder how much they will charge.
Thanks and agreed! Bass seems to be the biggest improvement opportunity now that the mid-range and treble have been addressed. Until then, I tend pump the bass up, despite BAVSOUND's recommendation to leave everything flat.
      03-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #14
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Nice write-up!

What source were you using for the music? Can the HU even play lossless or HD audio?
Thanks! I'm not sure if the HU can play lossless or HD audio files. I'd imagine that it may depend on what your phone can play, but I haven't tested it.

I thought about playing different sources, but I ultimately just used Bluetooth via my iPhone. I chose this route because it's the most convenient and likely most leveraged audio source for our cars. I also have the far majority of my "seat time" in my and my wife's car listening to Bluetooth audio. The music I listened to was down-sampled to M4A @ 256 kbps from either CD quality or Hi-Res (HDTracks.com) audio. Although I'm a huge snob when it comes to Hi-Res audio (either via HD Tracks, SACD, or Blu-Ray Audio) when listening to my home system, I'm more of a realist with car audio systems.

I'll likely find more time and test some CD's out to listen for improvements (which I'm sure there are). However, I'm not so sure I'll be able to hear the differences when driving (road noise, etc.).

Last edited by 3er; 06-20-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
rebel3
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Nice write-up and pics. I experienced many of the same things when I installed.

Have you installed the 9500ci? Did you cut the bottom grill to install the radar receiver? Getting a STi-R and ALPs installed tomorrow and wanted to see what you did. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel3 View Post
Nice write-up and pics. I experienced many of the same things when I installed.

Have you installed the 9500ci? Did you cut the bottom grill to install the radar receiver? Getting a STi-R and ALPs installed tomorrow and wanted to see what you did. TIA.
Thanks! Yes, I got the 9500ci installed last week. The radar receiver sits behind the front grill and the laser shifters are mounted in front under the first bumper part. I'll write a review with plenty of pictures in a week or two after I have some time to judge its effectiveness. In the meantime, I provided a picture of Nick Murray's setup, as I essentially went with his setup (which also aligned with the recommendation from my installer).

03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
rebel3
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I got the 9500ci installed last week. The radar receiver sits behind the front grill and the laser shifters are mounted in front under the first bumper part. I'll write a review with plenty of pictures in a week or two after I have some time to judge its effectiveness. In the meantime, I provided a picture of Nick Murray's setup, as I essentially went with his setup (which also aligned with the recommendation from my installer).

Looks sharp. I've been reading over at rdforum and those guys are as fanatical about radar detectors as we are to our M3s. They highly recommend not putting the radar receiver behind the grill due to signal distortion. I have not seen any quantification of the impact of the placement behind the grill vs cutting the bottom grill and installing with a clear view. Very torn on what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel3 View Post
Looks sharp. I've been reading over at rdforum and those guys are as fanatical about radar detectors as we are to our M3s. They highly recommend not putting the radar receiver behind the grill due to signal distortion. I have not seen any quantification of the impact of the placement behind the grill vs cutting the bottom grill and installing with a clear view. Very torn on what to do.
Yeah, it’s a tough call. They're probably right that you give up a little when mounting the radar receive behind the grill. With that said, detecting a cop within 2,500 feet versus 2,800 feet, for instance, just doesn’t matter to me. It reminds me of the endless Valentine1 versus 9500xi versus XYXY debates. Sure, the Valentine1 would often alert the soonest, BUT, the question should really be: “Did the detectors alert within an acceptable time to take action?” For me, that’s the key…
      03-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
SanFranSoxFan
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Thanks! I'm not sure if the HU can play lossless or HD audio files. I'd imagine that it may depend on what your phone can play, but I haven't tested it.
Yes the factory stereo can play FLAC files, I got some from hdtracks and loaded via USB to the internal hard drive, they play fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #20
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Feedback requested....

I'm looking for a shop to install the BavSound Stage 1 kit, which I've already purchased. I was just quoted 6 hours @ $861. Is it just me, or does that seem ridiculously high for both the hours and total cost???

-X-
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #21
3er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
Feedback requested....

I'm looking for a shop to install the BavSound Stage 1 kit, which I've already purchased. I was just quoted 6 hours @ $861. Is it just me, or does that seem ridiculously high for both the hours and total cost???

-X-
Seems very high to me given the low difficulty of the install. I know it can be scary to embark upon this install on your own, but it really is quite simple. With that said, I wouldn't want to pay more than $400 for the install (pro = 4 [or less] hour install @ $100/hr).
      04-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
Feedback requested....

-X-
Did you check Musicar?
Appreciate 0