Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

'18 F80 Carbon Driveshaft Retrofit

See Post #35 For Update

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 08-22-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 3
M4RAUDR248.00
-cj-200.00
cotmfk2053.50
      03-03-2018, 03:59 AM   #2
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

You seriously care about this that much ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:11 AM   #3
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modaddict79 View Post
You seriously care about this that much ?
For now, yes. With the right tools and experience it's not that difficult or expensive to retrofit. But, I still need to see if my mechanic is willing to take it on. This isn't something I'll be doing in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
alpina-527
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I don't think your new car has the steel prop yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Hope your driving skills warrant the effort required here... else your time and money are probably best served elsewhere.
      03-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina-527 View Post
I really, really hope you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
Hope your driving skills warrant the effort required here... else your time and money are probably best served elsewhere.
When examining the logic behind almost any OEM carbon fiber part for the F80, performance gains aren't going to be readily apparent. Does the carbon DCT trim do any good for the hundreds of dollars it costs? Carbon mirror caps? Carbon splitters? At least a carbon driveshaft has tangible performance benefits compared to a steel driveshaft. The cost of the retrofit is $50 in parts and some labor, since the $3300+ prop shaft itself was amortized into the previous car.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 03-03-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
cotmfk2053.50
      03-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I don’t think anyone has reported a steel driveshaft yet. just picked up an 18F80 and mine’s carbon.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Will the carbon shaft fit a car that came with a steel prop?

As I thought this was done for something to do with emissions so that the diameter of the prop was narrower with the steel as it’s stronger than carbon. To house something for the emissions

Could be a load off crap, but that’s just what I recall reading
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
I don’t think anyone has reported a steel driveshaft yet. just picked up an 18F80 and mine’s carbon.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your production date? My salesman advised me that driveshafts started being used all the way back in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
Will the carbon shaft fit a car that came with a steel prop?

As I thought this was done for something to do with emissions so that the diameter of the prop was narrower with the steel as it’s stronger than carbon. To house something for the emissions

Could be a load off crap, but that’s just what I recall reading
I read something similar. Supposedly the new particulate filter is what drove the switch to steel, because a narrower driveshaft was needed to clear the exhaust. I can't say whether or not my car will have the particulate filter (but I'm guessing it won't), since the change was meant for only EU-version cars. Mine is American spec and should have the normal exhaust. Carbon driveshafts are known for being stronger (and lighter) than equivalent steel.

Here's the thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...bon+driveshaft

Delivery is a week away, so I'll find out a lot very soon.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 03-03-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
FSociety3812.50
OMRITIME106.00
david51537.50
      03-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #10
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

January 18 if I recall correctly; I ordered it. Just dropped it of at the Detailer’s. Will look once I get it back :thumbs up:
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Performance is tangible if your skillsets warrant it... whether yours do or don't, I don't know... nor am I trying to convince you otherwise; merely stating a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post

When examining the logic behind almost any OEM carbon fiber part for the F80, performance gains aren't going to be readily apparent. Does the carbon DCT trim do any good for the hundreds of dollars it costs? Carbon mirror caps? Carbon splitters? At least a carbon driveshaft has tangible performance benefits compared to a steel driveshaft. The cost of the retrofit is $50 in parts and some labor, since the $3300+ prop shaft itself was amortized into the previous car.
      03-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
2SNAILS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Garage List
2018 F80  [9.75]
OP i'm not sure why you keep pushing this topic so much! Not only in this thread but others as well. Not sure what kind of crap your CA fed you about the stealshaft! There's isnt one yet that has been confirmed on a MY18 build yet. Maybe you should be the first to confirm this since your so adamant about having one, until then put it to rest bc I haven't seen a single MY18 built with one. To this day they all seem to have the carbon.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #13
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Pretty sure the announcement was for November cars onward.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Performance is tangible if your skillsets warrant it... whether yours do or don't, I don't know... nor am I trying to convince you otherwise; merely stating a fact.
My driving certainly isn't anything I'd brag about, but it need not be to justify my desire to have the same performance part that my '15 M3 had. It's probably not going to make the car noticeably faster, but I still want it. None of the carbon parts I'm putting on my '18 will make it faster, but I want them just the same. My '15 was the perfect car for me and I'm getting another opportunity with the '18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SNAILS View Post
OP i'm not sure why you keep pushing this topic so much! Not only in this thread but others as well. Not sure what kind of crap your CA fed you about the stealshaft! There's isnt one yet that has been confirmed on a MY18 build yet. Maybe you should be the first to confirm this since your so adamant about having one, until then put it to rest bc I haven't seen a single MY18 built with one. To this day they all seem to have the carbon.
Cheers
Hmm...I don't recall any other threads where I've mentioned this topic.

My salesman simply answered my question about whether or not my car would have the carbon driveshaft. A grand total of one sentence on the topic...I asked, he answered with what BMW told him. He hasn't actually looked, though. If my car has a CF driveshaft, then there's no need to do anything and I'll go on my merry way. If it doesn't, though, I'm retrofitting it if it seems it can be done fairly easily. Reading through the twenty-something pages of the thread in the general forum, I'm not alone in my disappointment that M3s will eventually switch to steel.

I'm not adamant about having a steel driveshaft -- I simply acknowledge that it's an unknown. At this point no conclusion can be drawn because not many people have actually checked their cars, and BMW is very ambiguous about when the switchover is going to occur. Although some have been kind enough to chime in that their recently produced cars have carbon, until someone with a week 9 build contributes, then the issue is still relevant to me. It does give me optimism that not a single steel driveshaft has been found.

This topic may gather further momentum once BMW officially switches over. I'd like to offer whatever advice I can when that time comes, since it's uncharted territory, and I'm gearing up for the mechanic-assisted DIY. I don't want to be one of the people stuck with an inferior design, and I'm not going to be alone in thinking this.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina-527 View Post

Quote:
Most of us here in the forums have little quirks/obsessions with our cars.

I totally understand yours regarding this particular piece. However, the driveshaft cannot compare directly with the carbon fiber trim because most people are probably adding it after the fact for aesthetics, not for performance.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      03-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep

Fair enough, my yearly duty as devil's advocate has been satisfied till 2019

Quote:
My driving certainly isn't anything I'd brag about, but it need not be to justify my desire to have the same performance part that my '15 M3 had. It's probably not going to make the car noticeably faster, but I still want it. None of the carbon parts I'm putting on my '18 will make it faster, but I want them just the same. My '15 was the perfect car for me and I'm getting another opportunity with the '18.

Hmm...I don't recall any other threads where I've mentioned this topic.

My salesman simply answered my question about whether or not my car would have the carbon driveshaft. A grand total of one sentence on the topic...I asked, he answered with what BMW told him. He hasn't actually looked, though. If my car has a CF driveshaft, then there's no need to do anything and I'll go on my merry way. If it doesn't, though, I'm retrofitting it if it seems it can be done fairly easily. Reading through the twenty-something pages of the thread in the general forum, I'm not alone in my disappointment that M3s will eventually switch to steel.

I'm not adamant about having a steel driveshaft -- I simply acknowledge that it's an unknown. At this point no conclusion can be drawn because not many people have actually checked their cars, and BMW is very ambiguous about when the switchover is going to occur. Although some have been kind enough to chime in that their recently produced cars have carbon, until someone with a week 9 build contributes, then the issue is still relevant to me. It does give me optimism that not a single steel driveshaft has been found.

This topic may gather further momentum once BMW officially switches over. I'd like to offer whatever advice I can when that time comes, since it's uncharted territory, and I'm gearing up for the mechanic-assisted DIY. I don't want to be one of the people stuck with an inferior design, and I'm not going to be alone in thinking this.
      03-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

My September production 2018 F80 with the CF shaft. I can get better pics once my lift is installed. It's tight in there as it is, and I was not about to start removing the shields.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #18
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Saying that CF trim and aero don’t make a difference doesn’t prove your point, they are at least visible and make a subjective improvement to the car, if not performance improvements.

The horse has been bludgeoned to death that almost no one will be able to notice the difference between the CF and steel driveshafts, and the stiffness/strength will only make a difference for extremely modded engines.

I think you are overestimating how many people would actually go through what you are planning on doing. Anyone who truly needs a better performing driveshaft, ie has a car that is so heavily modified to need one, would likely have the resources to get a custom shaft made.

In the end, your car, your choice. If it will make you sleep better at night, then so be it. At least you have a salvaged part to use.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i

Last edited by stooker; 03-03-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      03-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I don't think any F80s will end up with steel driveshafts since production is ending. F82s will most definitely. Just my opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #20
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

M

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 08-22-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #21
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
I sometimes struggle to articulate my thoughts into words. What I meant was that, of all the carbon parts on the car, the driveshaft and engine brace are the only two that come to mind that offer obvious performance benefits versus a cheaper alternative. Aero parts probably do as well, but they don't have to be carbon fiber to achieve a similar result.

That's a huge part of the decision. If I didn't have one I'd accept the hand I was dealt and move on. I'm not 100% certain it will fit, either, due to the stated length difference in RealOEM. Mine has a slip yoke, though, so the length can vary.
Wouldn't changing the drive shaft through some 3rd party garage instantly void your warranty?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #22
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

My car was built the week beginning the 18th December and it has the CF driveshaft.
Appreciate 1