BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #8031
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I believe MotorIQ has a time attack Model3 and it can only do 1 lap at full power. That's what happens when you power cars with electric women's toys.
M5Rick60032.50
      Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #8032
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I still find it difficult to understand why one would choose a battery electric sporty car over an ICE equivalent, you know, a car that you may not be driving every day to walmart every time you run out of condoms. But okay, Cammisa, if a little controversial in his opinions*, can drive and he's a respected person in this regard.

*emphasis on opinions...
I think he was spot on when he said he would rather have an EV than a 4 cylinder turbo ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission and fake engine noise... or something along those lines.

Most modern "sports sedans" do absolutely nothing for me from a driving enthusiast perspective. Give me a naturally aspirated, 2 seater with a manual transmission and a loud exhaust or give me a fucking EV. That's basically where I'm at these days.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541043.00
      Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #8033
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I believe MotorIQ has a time attack Model3 and it can only do 1 lap at full power. That's what happens when you power cars with electric women's toys.
I also wonder what kind of side effects will do to multiple times fast charging and fast discharge on the battery for a track day.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60032.50
      Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #8034
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I think he was spot on when he said he would rather have an EV than a 4 cylinder turbo ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission and fake engine noise... or something along those lines.

Most modern "sports sedans" do absolutely nothing for me from a driving enthusiast perspective. Give me a naturally aspirated, 2 seater with a manual transmission and a loud exhaust or give me a fucking EV. That's basically where I'm at these days.
When I drove my first EV, I quickly realized that while being an automatic, because the torque curve is essentially flat, it is always in the correct "gear". EV are really just one-speed manuals. I'm a die hard manual transmission guy, but if forced, I could live with a single-speed EV. I say "forced" because the battery-power architecture just sucks and is stupid because of limited range, long recharge cycle and weight. Fix the battery (by using an ICE-generator), then I'm on it like stink on poop.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60032.50
      Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #8035
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I also wonder what kind of side effects will do to multiple times fast charging and fast discharge on the battery for a track day.
Battery wears down fast. And there is an issue I don’t hear anyone talk about - the harmful EMF radiation these cars give off. 5G is bad - but these cars are literally a tower under you seat.

We are talking lower sperm count, headaches, cancer or worse.
      Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #8036
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
When I drove my first EV, I quickly realized that while being an automatic, because the torque curve is essentially flat, it is always in the correct "gear". EV are really just one-speed manuals. I'm a die hard manual transmission guy, but if forced, I could live with a single-speed EV. I say "forced" because the battery-power architecture just sucks and is stupid because of limited range, long recharge cycle and weight. Fix the battery (by using an ICE-generator), then I'm on it like stink on poop.
The correct answer is to use smaller motors with gearing and find a way to turn gasoline or oil directly into energy without burning it.

Could also do a nuclear powered car- since that radiation isn’t really a thing.
      Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8037
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Battery wears down fast. And there is an issue I don’t hear anyone talk about - the harmful EMF radiation these cars give off. 5G is bad - but these cars are literally a tower under you seat.

Paranoid much? A hyundai EV ran with us all day at autoX last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #8038
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Well, I've got an F80 alongside a diesel G21 and I also don't really crave an G80 or the new C 63. I've driven all kinds of G8x cars and they've left me cold... so I kind of understand. Zero desire.

But, for me, still BEV = daily commuter only
      Today, 05:06 AM   #8039
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

You know I never even thought of that side, holy s#it you can count me out of ever getting into an EV, No thanks.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 05:12 AM   #8040
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
I've heard "maintenance throttle" used in different contexts, but I'll assume you mean enough 'throttle' to maintain speed and not have regen kick in.

It's a bit of a doozy, honestly, since the moment you let off the throttle, you have a user-adjustable level of regen/engine braking. For me, that demands two foot track driving, because it's not perfectly simple to tell if the regen braking will be enough for your desired corner-entrance speed.

For me, I had regen set to max, which can seriously drag the car if you don't use a maintenance-level of throttle; then, my left foot is hovering over the brake in case I need more. To me, the brake feel pushing into corners is very similar to standard brakes; the handoff between regen braking and friction braking isn't sharp if you have good left-foot modulation. It's not intuitive at all unless you're used to manual driving or two foot feather-braking in a paddle shift car like our Miata.

The only reason I'd like to see this new M3P on a track instead of the old one is because it supposedly has a slider that allows the driver to "set" oversteer or understeer preferences and that's quite intriguing, along with "drift" modes. I wonder if they're similar to the Ford Focus RS's AWD power distribution in drift mode where it powers the modulates power to the rear wheels to kick the rear out.
Alternatively, as you accelerate, weight transfers to the rear. Maintenance throttle balances the car, so its weight is evenly distributed front to rear. There are times, like in the middle of a corner, where having the car balanced will help it generate more cornering grip.

Maintenance throttle is where you are applying enough throttle to get a slight acceleration to keep the car neutral front/rear which will help you corner a hair faster. You aren't quite decelerating in a corner (you should of already done your braking before the corner) but you are wanting to keep the car settled where you put it when you set up the turn, so you apply a touch of throttle.

I drive 3 pedal cars on the track mainly so I wonder how hard it'd be. One day.
      Today, 05:41 AM   #8041
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

How do you make a $10,000 EV? UK & EU about to find out. China made a fleet of these car haulers to flood the market. The UK ban on reporting EV fires makes more sense, it is about to get quite exciting for them.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:58 AM   #8042
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
If the EU and British allow this cheap EV take over they deserve what they get.
This is a refreshing Top Gear reminder of British Automotive Nationalism. Should remind everyone of what is at stake here.
British made motors take over the Mall | Top Gear - BBC
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:50 AM   #8043
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's just a none issue for me. Fortunately I have other cars if I had the need to start driving cross country and for my regular driving it has more range than I ever come close to using. I even charge with the slow 110v charger and that's plenty for me. Most days I don't even go anywhere or drive maybe less than 5 miles.

That being said I have taken it to NC a couple of times and I don't mind it at all. We usually go in the Cayenne and it pretty much takes us 12 hours unless we get some crazy traffic. In the Tesla also takes about 12 hours. We stop regardless especially traveling with 2 dogs.

Once up there it's more of a pain because I have a detached garage with no power and closest supercharger is 30 min away. So if I was there all the time I would probably skip the EV or more likely just have power ran to the garage (which I may do anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Well, I've got an F80 alongside a diesel G21 and I also don't really crave an G80 or the new C 63. I've driven all kinds of G8x cars and they've left me cold... so I kind of understand. Zero desire.

But, for me, still BEV = daily commuter only
Most of my driving is daily commuting around town in traffic. I would HATE to drive my miata for most of my everyday driving. I see it as the right tool for the job. Day to day driving I think EV is the best tool for me. Just like I have a truck to tow my RV because that's the best tool for that and the miata is the best tool for having fun on mountain roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
You know I never even thought of that side, holy s#it you can count me out of ever getting into an EV, No thanks.
Daaaamn... so guaranteed death by burning alive you were on the fence about... but a little EMF is just too risky huh?
Appreciate 1
gblansten1976.50
      Today, 10:09 AM   #8044
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

This is a CEO who definitely shoulda been fired. Ivy league MBA probably with the common sense of roadkill.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...fa638da7&ei=12
Appreciate 0