Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-02-2022, 12:34 AM   #1
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Rear diff bushing replacement..and only rear diff bushing

So I have the classic clunk symptom and I’m considering doing the rear diff bushing. But on pretty much every DIY I see, everybody is doing the front bushings also. Has anybody ever replaced just the single diff bushing with either the Powerflex or revised OE bushing? I could probably buy TIS for the day to check the steps but wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
So I have the classic clunk symptom and I’m considering doing the rear diff bushing. But on pretty much every DIY I see, everybody is doing the front bushings also. Has anybody ever replaced just the single diff bushing with either the Powerflex or revised OE bushing? I could probably buy TIS for the day to check the steps but wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge.
Can't comment on your specific question, but if you need a procedure from ISTA just PM me and I can export it as a PDF and send to you, quick/easy to do.
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You want to replace all of them since the front four do the stabilizing/holding and the rear mostly holds the position. I replaced them front and back with PowerFlex Purples and without the diff plate and was very happy.
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2022, 12:59 AM   #4
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

When I ordered my 2018+ OEm bushing it looks great but, its only 1.

Are they all poly bushings on the 2018+ or just that rear?

I guess I'll order the 3 front? I didn't see that available on fcp euro. Hmmm

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 03:09 AM   #5
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

I believe it’s just on the 17 or 18+ in response to the failures. I haven’t seen anything about the fronts being poly.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
You want to replace all of them since the front four do the stabilizing/holding and the rear mostly holds the position. I replaced them front and back with PowerFlex Purples and without the diff plate and was very happy.
It’s true that the fronts do hold some motion and stabilize but if you are to create a better base in the rear end it should add longevity to the fronts.

Actually I imagine if you ran the dual mount bracket you could run the original bushing and get decent life out of them as I think it’s the rotation on the bushing that’s killing them early, similar to a control arm getting torqued without being at static ride heist. But I wouldn’t want to test my theory. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #7
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Car is back (I wish I'd done it msyelf for the experience), shop said the fronts were in good shape. The single rear bushing in the 2018+ is great so far. It's cleaned up some clunks from the rear end (giggity), shifts are softer when dirving normally and firmer when driving aggressively, and throttle inputs feel a lot more positive. Also it fixed the majority of the vibrations in the steering wheel and seat under heavy throttle, which was the main issue I was looking to resolve.

I can say that since my shop removes the driveshaft completely to do the job, I wish I had replaced the guibo and front bushings with OEM at the same time since the front bushings are pretty cheap. The old rear diff bushing was definitely done, multiple cracks and I could move the center around by hand.

In case anybody is looking for it, the OE bushing is approx 67.5mm in exterior diameter.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Quote:
Also it fixed the majority of the vibrations in the steering wheel and seat under heavy throttle, which was the main issue I was looking to resolve.
I have these same vibrations and Im about to swap the rear diff bushing with a dual bushing Powerflex purple setup. Hopefully it solves my issue!

Quote:
I can say that since my shop removes the driveshaft completely to do the job, I wish I had replaced the guibo and front bushings with OEM at the same time since the front bushings are pretty cheap.
I think im going to replace the guibo too. My car has 25k miles on it and i wouldnt be surprised if i had some tears starting to form. Im also going to put better transmission mounts in the car at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I have these same vibrations and Im about to swap the rear diff bushing with a dual bushing Powerflex purple setup. Hopefully it solves my issue!

I think im going to replace the guibo too. My car has 25k miles on it and i wouldnt be surprised if i had some tears starting to form. Im also going to put better transmission mounts in the car at the same time.
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if it fixes the issue. I still have a small amount but I figure that goes hand in hand with the CF shaft. In the future I may do the guibo and front bushings, as I was kicking myself when I realized how cheap the fronts were.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 05:58 PM   #10
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

The single bushing can be replaced on its own. Have seen it done many times. There is even a service bulletin on it. I would inspect the front bushings beforehand just to be efficient
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 03:26 AM   #11
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Replacing the single bushing only for it to rip again is a waste of money. It’s worth it just to get the powerflex or Turner bracket and 2 polyurethane bushings for the rear. If you have the extra money do the front ones but they aren’t necessary. Why do you think 2018+ and up have dual rear. Don’t use a temporary fix that’s goanna need fixing again down the road
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #12
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeamerking View Post
Replacing the single bushing only for it to rip again is a waste of money. It’s worth it just to get the powerflex or Turner bracket and 2 polyurethane bushings for the rear. If you have the extra money do the front ones but they aren’t necessary. Why do you think 2018+ and up have dual rear. Don’t use a temporary fix that’s goanna need fixing again down the road
2018+ don’t have the dual rear, they just have the revised bushing which I used.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #13
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

My fault. They don’t have the double bushing bracket. I was drunk posting that. They just upgraded the bushing but still doesn’t give the car a full fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 12:31 PM   #14
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Haha, happens.

Yeah, I didn’t want to risk any extra NVH and was chasing a vibration so I stuck with a better OE. If I was fixing classic symptoms I probably would’ve done the bracket.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #15
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

On my previous 6MT car I had the Turner plate with Powerflex purples front and back and the only NVH it added was a little bit of diff whine in the cabin -- I really liked it, wasn't excessive at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #16
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Quote:
Car is back (I wish I'd done it msyelf for the experience), shop said the fronts were in good shape. The single rear bushing in the 2018+ is great so far. It's cleaned up some clunks from the rear end (giggity), shifts are softer when dirving normally and firmer when driving aggressively, and throttle inputs feel a lot more positive. Also it fixed the majority of the vibrations in the steering wheel and seat under heavy throttle, which was the main issue I was looking to resolve.

I can say that since my shop removes the driveshaft completely to do the job, I wish I had replaced the guibo and front bushings with OEM at the same time since the front bushings are pretty cheap. The old rear diff bushing was definitely done, multiple cracks and I could move the center around by hand.

In case anybody is looking for it, the OE bushing is approx 67.5mm in exterior diameter.
Did you replace with the new poly
Bushing? Is your car DCT? I have a 16 with bad bushing. Don’t know if i should
Replace with new OEM poly design?
      01-16-2023, 05:55 PM   #17
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Did you replace with the new poly
Bushing? Is your car DCT? I have a 16 with bad bushing. Don’t know if i should
Replace with new OEM poly design?
Yes I had the old one replaced with the new poly bushing. In retrospect and having had more time driving the car, I would go with the dual mount in both poly bushings. The single poly is better than the old torn rubber one but there’s still room for improvement. Also, I would replace the guibo and front bushings while I was in there since they’re fairly low cost and get removed anyways. Not necessary per se, but since you’re in there already..

My car is a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #18
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Quote:
Yes I had the old one replaced with the new poly bushing. In retrospect and having had more time driving the car, I would go with the dual mount in both poly bushings. The single poly is better than the old torn rubber one but there’s still room for improvement. Also, I would replace the guibo and front bushings while I was in there since they’re fairly low cost and get removed anyways. Not necessary per se, but since you’re in there already..

My car is a DCT.
Got it. Do you notice a massive difference in NVH with the poly mounts? I just sold my other car and now daily my M4 to the office aka i’m super grumpy in the morning.
      01-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #19
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Got it. Do you notice a massive difference in NVH with the poly mounts? I just sold my other car and now daily my M4 to the office aka i’m super grumpy in the morning.
I did not
Appreciate 0