European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
f93_gc
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Gran C

Garage List
Brake pads / Brake rotors

So my car just reached over 50k mile. My brakes are starting to squeak so i know i need to change my pads but anyone know if rotors need to be changed as well at this many miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82_boi View Post
So my car just reached over 50k mile. My brakes are starting to squeak so i know i need to change my pads but anyone know if rotors need to be changed as well at this many miles?
50k is about the right time to change rotors. That's when I'm planning to replace mine based on the current wear pattern.

You can get them on fcp euro and get a lifetime replacement warranty.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Car's mileage is not an indicator when to replace rotors as driving style for each person varies.

You replace brake rotors when they're below min thickness or when they start to show signs of damage. Based on quick google search min thickness levels are Front: 28.4mm
Rear: 22.4mm. These numbers are also etched to the front of the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
I would measure it and feel the surface of the rotor. Most of the time the rotors are still good and cutting the rotor will just be good practice.

You can replace with Akebono brake pads and you wouldn't need to worry about resurfacing your rotors as long as they are the correct thickness.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
I would measure it and feel the surface of the rotor. Most of the time the rotors are still good and cutting the rotor will just be good practice.

You can replace with Akebono brake pads and you wouldn't need to worry about resurfacing your rotors as long as they are the correct thickness.
My akebonos just started getting a bit noisy (squeaking) at low speed braking. Is that common?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
My akebonos just started getting a bit noisy (squeaking) at low speed braking. Is that common?
Not really no. Try doing some hard braking.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0