Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #67
mx_m3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_f82 View Post
And they paid you how much for that reply ?

Lolloll
Your response is forums now and days. Haha nothing at all just happy with the product they take care of me and doesn't hurt me to defend them with my opinion as a customer.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #68
Bimm4r
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 AY on SS

Gintani

I've had Gintani's burble tune on my M4 for close to 6 months now and couldn't be happier. Don't understand why people are giving them so much shit for protecting their tune. And my car is 100% drivable..... Btw Gintani didn't pay me to say this
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #69
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Thread title is alarmist and misleading. They did not 'glue your ECU shut' - that would imply they glued the two halves with some super-duper-gorilla glue and now you could not access the internals.

No, they applied a conformal coating to prevent unauthorized access to an I/C on your board. No damage has been done to anyone's car (that we know of) because of this practice.

Shady, yes, sabotage, no.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #70
Valentino_f82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 MW/SO DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_m4
Quote:
And they paid you how much for that reply ?

Lolloll
Your response is forums now and days. Haha nothing at all just happy with the product they take care of me and doesn't hurt me to defend them with my opinion as a customer.
My response is me joking around and trying to get through a day of work. I could care less about gintani or your opinion. Neither of u are paying me, so please don't revolve the forums around my careless responses. I don't even have a bmw. Thanks.

Make America Great Again !
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #71
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

I was honestly expecting to see an ECU with the cover glued on...

I think it needs a better title..

Ginatnai used tamper protection on my ecu's processor or something to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #72
mx_m3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
My response is me joking around and trying to get through a day of work. I could care less about gintani or your opinion. Neither of u are paying me, so please don't revolve the forums around my careless responses. I don't even have a bmw. Thanks.

Make America Great Again !
agreed haha
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #73
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Whale sperm.
unicorn blood
      07-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #74
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Whale sperm.
relevant
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Arcades8162.00
      07-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #75
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Thread title is alarmist and misleading. They did not 'glue your ECU shut' - that would imply they glued the two halves with some super-duper-gorilla glue and now you could not access the internals.

No, they applied a conformal coating to prevent unauthorized access to an I/C on your board. No damage has been done to anyone's car (that we know of) because of this practice.

Shady, yes, sabotage, no.

i agree.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #76
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
So in the event that someone is willing to buy the necessary equipment, learn the details of what is required in reading/writing to the ECU, is willing to remove and crack open an ECU to steal this map the easily removable glue is meant to be the last defense that stops them from accomplishing that? Seems like a bad plan.
Lol true that ^^^
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #77
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Whale sperm.
GAH! Why is whale sperm always the LAST glue solvent I try???
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #78
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
GAH! Why is whale sperm always the LAST glue solvent I try???
What about toad mucus?

As a side note, Alex Gintani, if you are reading this I can easily reply to what you said on Instagram. However, I do not see the point in making drama out of this. Just to let you know, comparing software to hardware tampering is... just no ok.

I deleted my post out of respect.
      07-31-2016, 12:43 AM   #79
DandyKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 YMB

Anyone that thinks this is ok is stupid. Go and see how stupid you would feel if a stealership suddenly started glueing your wheels or anything they serviced to force you to go back to them for any service. Its retarded, you would throw a tit fit on this forum crying how they treated you like a piece of meat. The proprieraty bullshit does not fly. If you Joe Schmo wants to take your code he can, Elmers fucking glue aint going to stop him. Thats just fucking lazy and ineptitude and it shows. You want to sack ride that by all means but you come off looking stupid and cuck. Its outrageous that anyone would think this is perfectly ok. And here comes the best part...the customer knows nothing til he actually has to change tune ?! oh how grand! i forgot to tell you i glued your ECU and potentially might damage it. Its ok buddy come back to us again...free of charge to remove it. Its ok, you dont value your time.
Appreciate 3
      07-31-2016, 05:07 AM   #80
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Appreciate 3
Arcades8162.00
M3GTC43.50
theriz405.50
      08-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #81
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Honestly, you can see this from both sides of the coin.

Tuner side: They spent a large amount of time developing a tune which was not free. Since they don't (can't?) encrypt the tune it is open to any other tuner to download and steal/resell as their own.

Owners/buyers side: It is their DME and they should be free to do with it as they so choose. Adding this epoxy to the DME board prevents the owner from removing the tune and installing a different tune.

Perhaps a better solution than this would be to have the buyer sign a contract that would hold them liable if the tune is stolen or resold. Then at least the tuner would have some legal recourse to pursue should their tune be downloaded and released.
They didn't develop that tune. These tunes files are bought from Europe by people that cracked the dme. They're watered down basically. Most of these flash tuners just rewrite the map with minor adjustments. All they do is buy it and resell it. All the did was shit all over their reputation by gluing the DME board.

Flashing these cars correctly is not easy to do. There is a lot of misleading info. In fact we already pulled my dme, my turbo yesterday, and after reading files on my previously flashed DME there is much that was discovered that does not even make sense and what and why was changed. The DME boost targetes make zero sense. We dynoed my car, the numbers were very underwhelming not even close to the tuner claims, the v box times were just atrocious run after run.

Stay tuned...more thing will come to light very very soon. It's all I can share for now. But another tuner will be getting bombarded with questions they need to answer for.
      08-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #82
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
They didn't develop that tune. These tunes files are bought from Europe by people that cracked the dme. They're watered down basically. Most of these flash tuners just rewrite the map with minor adjustments. All they do is buy it and resell it. All the did was shit all over their reputation by gluing the DME board.

Flashing these cars correctly is not easy to do. There is a lot of misleading info. In fact we already pulled my dme, my turbo yesterday, and after reading files on my previously flashed DME there is much that was discovered that does not even make sense and what and why was changed. The DME boost targetes make zero sense. We dynoed my car, the numbers were very underwhelming not even close to the tuner claims, the v box times were just atrocious run after run.

Stay tuned...more thing will come to light very very soon. It's all I can share for now. But another tuner will be getting bombarded with questions they need to answer for.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      08-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #83
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

You guys really think all these companies have independently cracked the DME and re-engineered software to make your engine make more power? Shared maps and GTS stuff for everyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #84
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You guys really think all these companies have independently cracked the DME and re-engineered software to make your engine make more power? Shared maps and GTS stuff for everyone!
No they didn't. Only a handful took part in cracking the software and they're at times not even considered tuners. Just resold the technology to crack it and most of the tuners don't and or know how to write their own maps so what you in turn get is some waters down map made for an entirely different car on a different continent.
      08-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #85
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

This is the second thread I read today - first one a guy had his warranty voided for "alterations" and now this. I think I'm boring, bar the akrapovic I've done nothing because I just don't want issues.

Gintani I've always admired your work from a distance as it isn't offered here. I don't judge because I know how much time and afford it takes to develop software, test it, adjust it and get it out there. And I get that you don't want someone out there to replicate it.

OP I feel your frustration. These cars are expensive. Last thing you want is the car giving you headaches.

Just hope you guys worked it all out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #86
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:

Care to mention the tuner?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #87
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80
Quote:

Care to mention the tuner?
Yes very soon.
      08-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #88
m3less
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M4

Title of this thread is definitely misleading and in the end there has been nothing the OP can complain about in regards to the title of this thread because no damage was caused. OP should have went to Gintani with his tune issues and not start bashing a company without contacting the tuner first.
My e90M and M4 have gone to no other than Gintani and I've always been well taken care of. If I had an issue I went back to them and they are stand up guys that back up the work they do.
Appreciate 0