proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Like or dislike the sound of the F8X
Love it 128 55.90%
put up with it 86 37.55%
hate it 9 3.93%
sold my F8X because of it 1 0.44%
other 5 2.18%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

09-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #67
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

In relative terms compared to really good sounding performance cars, yeah I get it. But come on, worst sounding cars around? Really? No, not even close. Most cars don't sound like much at all under normal street driving and when you wind out your garden variety 4 and 6 pots that make up 90% of what's on the street, they sound like wheat threshers. In absolute terms, the S55 sounds pretty good, and interesting, and people ask to hear it rev up. I love cold start too.
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
six75LT916.50
      09-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #68
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

I essentially put up with it. Actually just ordered the AA equal length midpipe with resonators yesterday to go with my MPE (valves always open) and stock downpipes. We'll see how that goes...

The exhaust sound is the only thing I really dislike about my M4 sometimes. At certain engine speeds and loads, I think it can sound pretty decent and interesting, but other times it sounds so horrific that it makes me cringe and become depressed because of the loud raspy, tin can sounds. Like a 1st grade music class where everyone is playing brass instruments at the same time but nobody knows what they are doing.

I find myself "driving around" the bad parts of the exhaust sounds. If it sounded like a 2JZGTE, I would have zero complaints about my car.

People that hear my car think it sounds "insane/wicked/crazy/pure sex/nasty."

The "pops and bangs" burble tunes are the worst thing ever in the turbocharged Bmw community and I absolutely hate them. As if the F8x doesn't already sound bad, here we go and make it even worse.
      09-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #69
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
I love it.

I lol at people who say they want there car to sound like Ferrari or whatever the heck they're doing.

Like ay yoo. It's a 3.0L straight six with twin turbos. What's it suppose to sound like a V10?

I have dp single mid pipe and MPE and it sounds like sex to me.
Can we hear this sex?
Shit I misspelled their LoL I'm usually the guy like hey it's their not there. LoL fml

Uhmm vídeo yes, I posted quite a few on my insta and post sound clips 🖇 to my stories as well as tiktoks in case you wanna check it out.

Kind of a pita to attach videos here from my insta and what not without looking like a shameless plug lol

Just tried and the saved videos on my phone are not even showing to attach here sorry 😐

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #70
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I essentially put up with it. Actually just ordered the AA equal length midpipe with resonators yesterday to go with my MPE (valves always open) and stock downpipes. We'll see how that goes...

The exhaust sound is the only thing I really dislike about my M4 sometimes. At certain engine speeds and loads, I think it can sound pretty decent and interesting, but other times it sounds so horrific that it makes me cringe and become depressed because of the loud raspy, tin can sounds. Like a 1st grade music class where everyone is playing brass instruments at the same time but nobody knows what they are doing.

I find myself "driving around" the bad parts of the exhaust sounds. If it sounded like a 2JZGTE, I would have zero complaints about my car.

People that hear my car think it sounds "insane/wicked/crazy/pure sex/nasty."

The "pops and bangs" burble tunes are the worst thing ever in the turbocharged Bmw community and I absolutely hate them. As if the F8x doesn't already sound bad, here we go and make it even worse.

Ill be interested to hear your thought's on the EL pipe you have coming. I feel similar to you regarding how these cars sound.

Iam old compared to most here and grew up around v8's ( going to the drag strip & circle tracks and still do! ) and that's the sound that's been ingrained into my head that sounds good.
I also have a passion for all cars old and new so the smaller displacement cars & euro sports cars sounds have grown on me over the years. I can see possibly owning a EV in the not so distance future porsche taycan! hell yeah.

I was on the fence about buying a F8x for a few years because every test drive of course started with a cold start i would literaly have to bit my lip from saying something smart ass to the sales person that always scared me off. Ultimately I've become less into how a car sounds and more into the driving experience...i still need RWD though for a sports car to be fun for me. SO i bought a F82 and "put up with how it sounds". in favor of all its other great attributes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #71
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

I'll let you know in 6 to 8 weeks when it arrives maybe Ill make a fun video of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

Ill be interested to hear your thought's on the EL pipe you have coming. I feel similar to you regarding how these cars sound.

Iam old compared to most here and grew up around v8's ( going to the drag strip & circle tracks and still do! ) and that's the sound that's been ingrained into my head that sounds good.
I also have a passion for all cars old and new so the smaller displacement cars & euro sports cars sounds have grown on me over the years. I can see possibly owning a EV in the not so distance future porsche taycan! hell yeah.

I was on the fence about buying a F8x for a few years because every test drive of course started with a cold start i would literaly have to bit my lip from saying something smart ass to the sales person that always scared me off. Ultimately I've become less into how a car sounds and more into the driving experience...i still need RWD though for a sports car to be fun for me. SO i bought a F82 and "put up with how it sounds". in favor of all its other great attributes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #72
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

This car sounds like 2 metallic ass cheeks clapping if It is under 20 degrees celsius.

Almost impossible to warm up unless you are driving like an absolute imbecile.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #73
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I have a Base model. The stock exhaust had some drone and the tone was too high for me. I currently have ER Hi-Flow Cats and a full 3.5in cat-back AA Signature Kit. Now the sound is deep, loud with valves open, and sounds wicked racey-good. With this setup I still get 1 or 2 natural burbles even with BM3 burbles turned off...its so cool. Sounds "real".
      09-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #74
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Comp Pack - it's fine to me. I'd love for it to be like a 787B but not getting that out of a street car.
Appreciate 0