proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Sticky Steering Wheel

Does anyone have the issue of the stock steering wheel getting sticky in the areas that have a high tough rate? It gets much worse when its warm out, and certainly cleaning it helps, but now it seem even after cleaning it within a day it gets sticky.

At first I thought it was left over hair product on my hands, but I scrub like crazy after using it, and in general its not like my hands sweat, so im sort of at a loss and thing maybe its the wheel itself that is the issue.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Does anyone have the issue of the stock steering wheel getting sticky in the areas that have a high tough rate? It gets much worse when its warm out, and certainly cleaning it helps, but now it seem even after cleaning it within a day it gets sticky.

At first I thought it was left over hair product on my hands, but I scrub like crazy after using it, and in general its not like my hands sweat, so im sort of at a loss and thing maybe its the wheel itself that is the issue.
Have you tried a leather cleaner? I found that my steering wheel got a little patchy and scummy, but after a good cleaning with bmw leather conditioner, it looked like new again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

considering it's a durable leather, I clean mine with a bit of all purpose cleaner sprayed on a towel. You'd be shocked how much dirt comes up.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Leather clearner will clear the stickiness right up. I would be wary of a general purpose cleaner, I would imagine that stuff will eventually alter the quality of the leather and wear it out. I believe in treating leather like your skin, but to each their own.

I'm a bit OCD about it so it may seem weird, but I wash my hands before I get into my car. Eating inside is certianly not allowed not even a single French fry
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
akbarjan
Registered
Rep
Drives: saloon 2008

https://cleanerprofy.com/how-to-clean-a-polyurethane-brush/

When working with this material, it’s important to clean your PU brush after each use. Otherwise, the bristles can become clogged and the brush itself can become misshapen. Fortunately, cleaning a PU brush is relatively simple. In most cases, all you need is some soap and water.https://cleanerprofy.com/how-to-clea...rethane-brush/ You should, however, be aware of a few things.

Last edited by akbarjan; 11-29-2022 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Sonax will get rid of the stickiness. There is always a sticky spot on my head rest from the gel I use and a little elbow grease and Sonax cleans it right off. It also may be due to the oils from your hands if your hands sweat a bit.
      11-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #7
kasiarbab
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi 2008

Different types of steering wheel materials require different cleaning methods. Here’s a quick guide on how to clean each type:

Leather steering wheels can be cleaned with a damp cloth and some mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or scrubbing too hard, as this could damage the leather.
https://cleanerprofy.com/how-to-clea...teering-wheel/
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Check your door handles as well. BMW skimped on the door handle material which becomes soft, rubbery and sticky (and deteriorates) as the car ages (or stays in sun). This door handle material can then end up on the steering wheel making the steering wheel sticky. I used Nanolex interior cleaner to clean and Leather Master to protect.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #9
jonf49
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4 Competition

Colourlock worked great on my steering wheel.. now I use gloves to limit the frequency of treatment to the wheel. Hth
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 12:35 AM   #10
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

The best stuff I’ve come across is the swissvax leather cleaner. They sell a whole kit (cleaner, brush, towel, conditioner) but really the cleaner and a good brush is all you need. It’s not cheap, but it brings the leather back to like new.
Appreciate 0