R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
Overlimit
Rep
Drives: SS2 F80

Getting coils - any other parts needed to maintain camber/alignment?

I'm planning to get the KW DDC P&P for my f80. Other than Ground Control Camber plates, are there any other parts that are recommended for maintaining proper camber and alignment?

I have a 370z and know that it's necessary to get rear camber arms and front upper control arms for any suspension work (lowering) on that platform, but had trouble finding a clear consensus for the f8x platform.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Fred E
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite F80

For the front, you're good with just the camber plates. The rear already has enough camber adjustment for a functional alignment, but adjustable rear toe arms are needed depending on how low you're planning to go. Once you start adding camber to the rear, either purposefully or by lowering, you start to lose toe adjustment. With the stock toe arms, I was only able to get -1.7ish° in the rear while maintaining a functional amount of rear toe for stability, so rear toe arms are necessary for me to get to the 2° I'm looking for.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that above; I'm also fairly new the platform and drew the above the conclusions after a lot of research and some leaps of faith.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
For the front, you're good with just the camber plates. The rear already has enough camber adjustment for a functional alignment, but adjustable rear toe arms are needed depending on how low you're planning to go. Once you start adding camber to the rear, either purposefully or by lowering, you start to lose toe adjustment. With the stock toe arms, I was only able to get -1.7ish° in the rear while maintaining a functional amount of rear toe for stability, so rear toe arms are necessary for me to get to the 2° I'm looking for.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that above; I'm also fairly new the platform and drew the above the conclusions after a lot of research and some leaps of faith.
You are correct, but you can get adjustable rear camber arms for like $200 to fix that issue IF you want more than -2.0 or so in the rear. I have fall line adjustable arms in the rear which do the job.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
Overlimit
Rep
Drives: SS2 F80

Are what you recommend different from these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
You are correct, but you can get adjustable rear camber arms for like $200 to fix that issue IF you want more than -2.0 or so in the rear. I have fall line adjustable arms in the rear which do the job.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlimit View Post
Are what you recommend different from these?
  • SPL Rear Upper Camber Arms
  • Fall-Line Motorsports Rear Upper Control Arm Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
The rear upper control arms pull the top of the wheel in to add negative camber. With this method, you will use a combination of the upper and lower control arm to dial in camber. If you are running an incredibly wide tire, be careful as there are things you don't want to be rubbing on the inside.

Most people set rear camber solely by adjusting the rear lower control arm via the eccentric bolt. You can get around -2.7ish camber (depending on your ride height) with a rear toe of zero. You can also add toe arm adjustment links for more toe adjustment.

My preference is to get a rear lower control arm lock-out shim (which deletes the eccentric bolt) and get rear adjustable toe arms. I prefer not to add adjustable things if I don't need to.

There are many ways to get the camber needed for the rear… pick your configuration.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
The rear upper control arms pull the top of the wheel in to add negative camber. With this method, you will use a combination of the upper and lower control arm to dial in camber. If you are running an incredibly wide tire, be careful as there are things you don't want to be rubbing on the inside.

Most people set rear camber solely by adjusting the rear lower control arm via the eccentric bolt. You can get around -2.7ish camber (depending on your ride height) with a rear toe of zero. You can also add toe arm adjustment links for more toe adjustment.

My preference is to get a rear lower control arm lock-out shim (which deletes the eccentric bolt) and get rear adjustable toe arms. I prefer not to add adjustable things if I don't need to.

There are many ways to get the camber needed for the rear… pick your configuration.
Do you have the Fall Line shim kit? If so, does it work as intended?

I'm looking to do the same, ie, keep things minimum, as I can currently get the alignment I want in the rear with OEM adjustment (-1.6 camber, slight toe in) but worried the eccentrics may slip so have been trying to decide on which toe arms to go with and if I should opt for the fall line shim kit as well. Prefer to get it all done this winter since there's decent sales going on. Another option is to wait and keep everything OEM and do a couple of DEs next year and check alignment and see if it indeed slips on the F80 chassis.

May do SPL or Fall Line (haven't decided on Fall Line with the rubber boots or just SPL with the exposed rod ends, have had good experience with SPL in the past) toe arms + lock out, and the Fall Line shim kit before cyber monday ends.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:46 AM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
Do you have the Fall Line shim kit? If so, does it work as intended?

I'm looking to do the same, ie, keep things minimum, as I can currently get the alignment I want in the rear with OEM adjustment (-1.6 camber, slight toe in) but worried the eccentrics may slip so have been trying to decide on which toe arms to go with and if I should opt for the fall line shim kit as well. Prefer to get it all done this winter since there's decent sales going on. Another option is to wait and keep everything OEM and do a couple of DEs next year and check alignment and see if it indeed slips on the F80 chassis.

May do SPL or Fall Line (haven't decided on Fall Line with the rubber boots or just SPL with the exposed rod ends, have had good experience with SPL in the past) toe arms + lock out, and the Fall Line shim kit before cyber monday ends.
I got the Track Tec shims. Took like a month to get to me, but they're basically the same thing as the Fall Line.

I actually just ordered the SPL Rear Upper Control Arms for Black Friday and I already had the SPL Rear Toe Arms. So in the next month or two, I'll be updating three of the rear arms (minus the lower wishbone and trailing arm). I'll update here when I get around to installing everything.
Appreciate 1
heyyouduh134.00
      12-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
I got the Track Tec shims. Took like a month to get to me, but they're basically the same thing as the Fall Line.

I actually just ordered the SPL Rear Upper Control Arms for Black Friday and I already had the SPL Rear Toe Arms. So in the next month or two, I'll be updating three of the rear arms (minus the lower wishbone and trailing arm). I'll update here when I get around to installing everything.
Lol I just ordered the SPL toe arms for the rear, the Fall Line shim kit, and Fall Line front monoball. There were some sales going on so I'm saving money in the long run (or that's how I explained to my wife).
Appreciate 1