European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-22-2023, 09:45 PM   #1
Furious M4
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

It has been a while since I’ve done a write up like this, but I’ve had some time to evaluate my new exhaust set up I wanted to share my feedback with all of you.

Original setup:
The setup I had on the car before the switch was a set of catless downpipes, VRSF single midpipe, and a Remus axleback. I enjoyed the set up for a while, it had very aggressive sound down low and was overall pretty enjoyable. The car sounded like every other F80 and the car didn’t really sound great up high. the sound was good but nothing super special, just loud which i enjoyed.

When Valvetronic put out the information of their new equal length set up, I watched that entire 20 minute video over and over and over again. After convincing myself that it would be the fix for the flat sounding exhaust I had before, I decided to pony up the pennies and order the system. It was a hard decision because i already had an exhaust but i wanted the best sound for the car.

After ordering it took a decent while to get to me, but I was excited nonetheless. I had my friends at JKingsAuto do the installation for me, which is super quick and easy. I was very pleased to find that fitment was absolutely perfect, everything lined up well and fit with my undertray and Carbon diffuser. Tips also looks reasonably spectacular.

First impressions:
After picking up the car and going for my first ride, this set up truly transformed the car for me. I have been around other F80s with the active equal length midpipe, but this sounds so much better than those cars in my opinion. The sound is super aggressive down low and it absolutely rips up high. I expected this new setup to be quieter than my original set up but it’s just as loud and the sound quality is so good. The only one thing is at around 1800 RPM there is a decent amount of rasp but it’s only for about 100 RPM. with the valves closed it sounds like stock. No drone with the valves opened or closed which is ideal because I do a decent amount of long journeys and rallies in the car. I find myself leaving the valves open nearly all the time as the sound is just that good.

Overall impressions:
The more I drive the car, the more I find fun tricks and new RPMs where the car sounds even more incredible. Whether it’s a half throttle shift and get a nice whip crack or full throttle pull through two or three gears onto the highway, this exhaust has transformed my M4 into a car that finally sounds really good. Sometimes when cruising you do find yourself in that 1800 to 1900 RPM zone where there is some rasp, but this doesn’t bother me too much as I will close the valves or if you’re under throttle, you’re out of those RPM very quickly. Driving with the valves closed is also great as well, you get tons of intake noise and minimal exhaust and specially that i have a 5 month old daughter, that helps a lot. On cold starts, with the valves closed it’s even quieter than my Remus was. There’s none of that rattling/buzzing that I’ve heard from other F8X exhaust systems.

So, in the end, was it worth a hefty price tag? I think so. I’ve shown my car to a lot of other F8X owners who have other exhaust systems and they are all seriously considering getting this set up. As much as I love this car, I never loved the sound until now. This really transformed the experience for me and it’s something I’m happy I took the gamble on. For those who are considering a new exhaust set up to give them the best sounding F80 experience. This is definitely the solution. So if anyone wants to buy a VRSF midpipe and remus axle back hit me up lol. Sound clips and pictures below!

https://youtube.com/shorts/VywAJrcI_6k?feature=share
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #2
WarMachineM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Glad you wrote a review! I've been following your IG and your set-up sounds very good. I could only imagine what it sounds like in person. I've been through many set-ups both equal and single.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 07:05 AM   #3
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Nice! Thanks for the write up. I'll be in a similar path going from a VRSF single mid and Dinan rear to the Valvetronic. I always felt like my setup was a touch too quiet with the valves open, and then I heard the tone of the Valvetronic so it seems to check all boxes for me.

Similarly, I watched that 20min video so many times trying to get a sense of the tone and glad I went the same way. Awaiting my exhaust now, about 3wks since the origin order and can't wait.
      06-23-2023, 07:27 AM   #4
Furious M4
Rep

WarMachineM3 definitely a great option!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Furious M4
Rep

heitzke it definitely going to be worth the wait!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 01:30 PM   #7
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Thank you for the review!

Yourself having a baby riding in the back, would you say the loudness with valves open is bearable/comfortable for the lil one if driving conservative with casual down shifts/speed ups?
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 02:06 PM   #8
Furious M4
Rep

EezyBeezy yeah it’s pretty good, nothing is too loud while low rpm casually cruising
Appreciate 1
EezyBeezy271.00
      02-22-2024, 12:18 PM   #9
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Finally got the Stainless Steel one for my F83 and sharing my 2 months of ownership experience.

Firstly, great, build quality and love the love the exhaust tone and the depth of the engine noise. Great job Valvetronic Designs

Few issues that I have been facing and hopefully S5XPerformance in Irvine, CA who ordered the exhaust for me can take care of these issues.

1 - It rattles during cold start for good 30s - 1 min. I wasn’t able to find out why and where it is coming from. But this happens only during cold start.

2 - Fitment - If you have an aftermarket diffuser especially 3 pieces, the spacing of the tips can be very tight especially if you have the CF tip option. Also, keep in mind you can only adjust the tips one side of the exhaust. I believe left outlet is fixed.

3 - There is a constant humming sound / static noise (hard to describe) when you unlock the doors and start the car. Not sure if I’m imaging or if it is because of one of the valve switch is not plugged in since the setup requires ONLY one side of the valve module. It is quite noticeable if you really pay attention when you cold start in a garage.
      02-22-2024, 12:39 PM   #10
Valvetronic Designs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slo_F83 View Post
Finally got the Stainless Steel one for my F83 and sharing my 2 months of ownership experience.

Firstly, great, build quality and love the love the exhaust tone and the depth of the engine noise. Great job Valvetronic Designs

Few issues that I have been facing and hopefully S5XPerformance in Irvine, CA who ordered the exhaust for me can take care of these issues.

1 - It rattles during cold start for good 30s - 1 min. I wasn’t able to find out why and where it is coming from. But this happens only during cold start.

2 - Fitment - If you have an aftermarket diffuser especially 3 pieces, the spacing of the tips can be very tight especially if you have the CF tip option. Also, keep in mind you can only adjust the tips one side of the exhaust. I believe left outlet is fixed.

3 - There is a constant humming sound / static noise (hard to describe) when you unlock the doors and start the car. Not sure if I’m imaging or if it is because of one of the valve switch is not plugged in since the setup requires ONLY one side of the valve module. It is quite noticeable if you really pay attention when you cold start in a garage.
1. If there is a rattle on cold star, it’s most likely at the valve spread. It needs more tension. You can order a replacement spring on our website Or stretch yours to add more lateral tension to eliminate the rattle.

2. Exhaust tips are adjustable at the Y pipes to allow for adjustments and adjustments. The tips are quite close together, because wanted to provide large exhaust tips diameters to fill out diffuser. You can loosen these bolts and adjust exhaust tips to desired length and Fitment.

3. We have not heard of this before but might need to use an OEM Bmw valve the plug on the driver side where the actuator is not plugged in. Additionally, you can reconnect your OEM valve motor on that side and secure to the shield to possibly eliminate this issue.

Keep us updated. Very happy to hear that you were enjoying the exhaust sound and it’s done for us. It truly is the sound that is kind of above the rest!
Appreciate 2
M_Torx328.00
      02-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #11
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvetronic Designs View Post
1. If there is a rattle on cold star, it’s most likely at the valve spread. It needs more tension. You can order a replacement spring on our website Or stretch yours to add more lateral tension to eliminate the rattle.

2. Exhaust tips are adjustable at the Y pipes to allow for adjustments and adjustments. The tips are quite close together, because wanted to provide large exhaust tips diameters to fill out diffuser. You can loosen these bolts and adjust exhaust tips to desired length and Fitment.

3. We have not heard of this before but might need to use an OEM Bmw valve the plug on the driver side where the actuator is not plugged in. Additionally, you can reconnect your OEM valve motor on that side and secure to the shield to possibly eliminate this issue.

Keep us updated. Very happy to hear that you were enjoying the exhaust sound and it’s done for us. It truly is the sound that is kind of above the rest!
Valvetronic Designs - Thanks for quick response. Pls share the link to the valve spring.

For tip adjustment, can the tips be adjusted vertically (up and down) or just horizontally (left to right)? Installer mentioned that it can be adjusted horizontally only for the left side.
      02-22-2024, 01:48 PM   #12
gurvir44
Rep
Drives: M4

I really want this setup but plan to go single turbo later, i wonder if itll be worth it... If anyones done it please post a sound clip.
Appreciate 1
M_Torx328.00
      02-22-2024, 03:34 PM   #13
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurvir44 View Post
I really want this setup but plan to go single turbo later, i wonder if itll be worth it... If anyones done it please post a sound clip.
just get it then sell it later when u go single no point at all this exhaust with single
      03-21-2024, 06:03 PM   #14
Full_of_fit
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I am having similar issues with adjusting the tips move to the passenger side of the car. If you were to look at the tips directly from the back, you could very easily see that tips are set higher and pulling to the drivers side. Better description would be on level ground the right side tips seem to pulling at a 45° angle from the tips to the left drivers side of the trunk. I know there are 3 pieces and movement on one of the parts effect the rest of the “chain”. I will say drivers side is easy to adjust but passenger side is hard. I guess I’ll have to play with it more.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:42 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_of_fit View Post
I am having similar issues with adjusting the tips move to the passenger side of the car. If you were to look at the tips directly from the back, you could very easily see that tips are set higher and pulling to the drivers side. Better description would be on level ground the right side tips seem to pulling at a 45° angle from the tips to the left drivers side of the trunk. I know there are 3 pieces and movement on one of the parts effect the rest of the “chain”. I will say drivers side is easy to adjust but passenger side is hard. I guess I’ll have to play with it more.
If you need help with the install, i recommend reaching out to Valvetronic directly

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0