GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #67
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
The interior quality is not the best, but all the contact points such as the steering wheel, seats, shifter, all feel really solid. The GT350 is not about the 0-60 times. In fact, it is terrible from a dig. All the power is up top and its really tricky to launch (way harder than the F80) it without bog or spin and abusing the clutch/tires. It's simply a roll on power type of car. In fact, it's a track car.

Surprisingly, traction is really, really good for being a RWD. I drive it in Sport mode with suspension in the softer setting. The car has a really annoying habit of tramlining (front tires/steering wheel follows every groove and imperfection on the road). It was really annoying at first, but you get used to it.

Since all the power is at the top, the car builds power gradually but rapidly. Very interesting sensation. The F80 M3's and especially the 8Auto Hellcat had horrendous traction issues (power builds instantly down low). To the point of frustration.

No contest, from a dig OR roll the stock TTRS obliterates the GT350. More so from a dig (duh, AWD) The TTRS is basically a stock GTR. As I ran two stock 2017 GTR's and up to 120 they pull half a car at most.

The beauty of the GT350 vs. the TTRS is the driving experience. Oh. My. God, the GT350 is so damn good! By far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. Not the fastest, not the most comfortable, etc.... none of that matters. It has character, something that the TTRS is missing. I never really look forward to driving the TTRS. It's simply not as fun. It's more like a tool for a job, and it's job is to be fast.

The GT350 is a visceral (raw) driving event! To say it sounds "good" is an understatement. If you wanna race and beat people from lights, go for the TTRS. If you want to smile and look forward to every drive...go for the GT350 (Hellcat was even more fun than the TTRS). When I drive the TTRS to work I never look forward to driving home. I always get giddy when I know I am driving the Shelby to and from work... it's not perfect, but man is it a pure joy to drive.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate such reviews from an owner's perspective. Since I care about the 0-60 and taking off from a stand still a lot, I think the RS3 would serve me right.
Appreciate 2
jc05e46m3845.50
doberzus678.50
      05-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #68
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The TTRS is impressively quick and the tuning potential is unreal. Looks of course are subjective but I find them to be extremely unattractive and too feminine looking and regardless of the performance I just can't get passed that. The GT-350 on the other hand looks the business and sounds incredible. I've owned mustangs all my life and it's great to see how far Ford has come with these cars. It's an absolute hooligan of a car and one of the ultimate road cars for any price in my opinion.

A good friend of mine briefly owned a GT-350 and I was able to spend some time with it. The car made me chuckle each time I was behind the wheel. The noise, the launch tree, the revs, and surprising handling makes the driving experience so enjoyable. Track car it isn't, why my friend sold it after a month, but nonetheless a fun driving experience.
      05-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #69
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post
GT-350 ...Track car it isn't.
I am surprised by this comment. Can you elaborate?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
doberzus678.50
      05-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #70
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Maybe his friend couldn’t drive the car properly (6 speed + RWD), maybe he was intimidated of pushing it to the limit (which is understandable) and was getting passed by “slower” cars. Maybe he got the non-track pack (no coolers) version and was overheating? Maybe it wasn’t fast enough for him and he got a car, way crazier like a McLaren 720S and he is comparing apples to oranges.

Who knows... When it comes to the track, it’s all about the driver.

In the right hands, it absolutely *is a track car.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #71
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's a capable car and can be tracked, no doubt about that. The seating position and overall size make it very hard to get comfortable with, especially on a technical track. You don't feel like you are wearing this car. Our experience with it at Chuckwalla, a 17 turn 2.68 mile road course did not suit it well. It didn't transition well, granted it was on factory PSS's but it was just too weighty. On a large track with more sweeping turns and longer straights like Willow Springs or Fontana, I think the car would have been much better and be more appropriate for it's powertrain and size. This was a similar sentiment of the four of us that spent time with it.

My comment about not being a good track car may be a little misleading. With large r-comps and aggressive pads I'm sure it will put down impressive times on many tracks which to some is what track car is all about. My definition of a good track car is size, feel, weight and most importantly costs of consumables which is often the bi-product of weight.

For reference my first track car was and E36 M3. And my primary track car until recently was a 2014 Nissan GT-R. While the GT-R was much faster and puts down much faster lap times than my old E36, it's not a better track car. The size of the E36, the feel, and cheap operating costs make it an ideal track car.

The GT-R due to it's weight and complexity is a fortune to operate. It eats pads, rotors, and after 2-3 sessions on a technical track, fresh R-Comp tires are already past their useful life. Similarly, the GT-350 will rip through consumables. I don't have first hand experience of that but it's 3,800lbs...

My buddy who sold the GT-350 purchased a 991.1 GT3. And he kept his 2015 GT-R which may tell you something being that he tracks all of his cars heavily.

Again, I'm not hating on the GT-350 I think it's one of the most fun road cars out there while being track capable for the occassional track day. There is a reason why Porsche's, older M3's, Vettes, and S2000's are some of the most common track cars.

My $.02
      05-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #72
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe his friend couldn’t drive the car properly (6 speed + RWD), maybe he was intimidated of pushing it to the limit (which is understandable) and was getting passed by “slower” cars. Maybe he got the non-track pack (no coolers) version and was overheating? Maybe it wasn’t fast enough for him and he got a car, way crazier like a McLaren 720S and he is comparing apples to oranges.

Who knows... When it comes to the track, it’s all about the driver.

In the right hands, it absolutely *is a track car.
Not the case for this particular person. He's owned 3 C6 Z06's and a 2016 Viper ACR-E. He is a very capable driver.
      05-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #73
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Recently had a chance to do some pulls with a buddy in his stock 2018 F80, ZCP, DCT running the Remus mid-pipes with the secondary cat deletes along with the Remus axle-back (10-15hp max).

Now I do weigh around 220lbs and he weighs 140lbs. So he does have me there by 80lbs. I am BONE stock at 4,900 miles and both of us are running 91 octane. The first few runs I had a friend in the car (170lbs) then I had him get in my buddies car to see how big of a difference a passenger makes.

We basically did some 20-115 pulls and some 35-110 pulls on a private road, of course. Lets just say we were neck and neck! The M3 and TTRS took turns pulling and catching each other as we changed gears. With the passenger he pulled by a fender and without one, it was neck and neck.

I was surprised by the outcome. Granted, I was pretty heat soaked from doing runs/LC's all night. But wow, I am impressed with the TTRS! Because the F80 feels so much faster. It accelerates with brutal force... at least it feels that way. I was surprised I was able to be so close to him.

This was from a roll on. From a dig, it's not even close. It was slaughter for the F80.

Name:  845DFFFB-7D10-476C-99D4-08F38FFB51F1.jpeg
Views: 739
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  9FD30311-3BEC-422A-AB19-A4C8B5C041D1.jpeg
Views: 745
Size:  106.1 KB

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #74
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
I was surprised by the outcome. Granted, I was pretty heat soaked from doing runs/LC's all night. But wow, I am impressed with the TTRS! Because the F80 feels so much faster. It accelerates with brutal force... at least it feels that way. I was surprised I was able to be so close to him.
I think you are spot on with this comment. When my friend took me for a ride in his TT RS is did not feel as fast as my M3. But on paper (and in the real world as you proved) they are extremely close in terms of acceleration.
Appreciate 0