European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #287
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: DC5

I sold my 991.1 C2S PDK last year with 79k on the odo. I daily drove the car and beat on it everyday and tracked. I drove it in NE winter's without an issue. The only issue as a daily was space and having passengers in the rear was torture 🤣. This was the reason I got into a 15 M3 for daily and "adulting". I wouldn't call it a downgrade, however other than straight line speed and space the 911 is better in every single way.

My 911 had full Kline innovation headers, exhaust, and Cobb and stock otherwise. The sound is unmatched even compared to a stock GT3. My 911 was over 6 seconds faster stock for stock on the track (NJMP) compared to the F80 also on the same tires (PSS). The stock suspension and the lack of confidence the M3 gives me is the determining factor imo. The throttle settings of Sport and Sport+ doesn't have enough modulation for smooth track driving in the M3 even on stock ecu mapping; eco mode has the best modulation however the power delivery is too sluggish.

The PDK and DCT difference is too great. I have the GTS flash on the F80 however on S3 the balance of the car is affected because of the harshness of the shift. But in S2 the shifts feel a bit too sluggish. I wish the F80 had more settings on the DCT like the E92 (3 modes vs 6). The PDK was fast, crisp, and extremely smooth.

Lastly, as others have stated the price point and the targeted audience are different. My 911 with options sticker was 125+ and my M3 was 81k. I don't regret my decision in moving into a F80 for practicality wise, but if you are using it as a weekend car the 911 is better in every sense besides straight line power.
Appreciate 0