Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #639
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I don’t get the sound compliments for the QV. I think it sounds very close to a stock M3/4, which is not great to bad. Had I bought one I would’ve ended up getting an aftermarket exhaust on it just like my current M3.
dude it sounds close to the M3/M4 yes but much angrier and louder
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #640
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
dude it sounds close to the M3/M4 yes but much angrier and louder
Completely disagree, they seem to have the same tone/overall volume and flatulence of course. This from my experience driving them back to back on the same days as well. When I was driving the QV, I couldn't quit thinking how much they sounded alike.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #641
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
I don’t get the sound compliments for the QV. I think it sounds very close to a stock M3/4, which is not great to bad. Had I bought one I would’ve ended up getting an aftermarket exhaust on it just like my current M3.
Wow, you are literally the first person to say the QV doesn't sound good let alone compare it to a stock F8X. There is no comparison. That engine is a masterpiece.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      10-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #642
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Wow, you are literally the first person to say the QV doesn't sound good let alone compare it to a stock F8X. There is no comparison. That engine is a masterpiece.
Well good for me, it is an opinion and all. There is for me as I said and I drove them back to back pretty extensively on the same day. Also drove the QV more than once. How bout u?

Where/when did I say anything negative about the engine aside from sound? I've consistently said I loved the QVs drive/ overall noticeably stronger acceleration pull, obviously the engine has a lot to do with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #643
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well good for me, it is an opinion and all. There is for me as I said and I drove them back to back pretty extensively on the same day. Also drove the QV more than once. How bout u?

Where/when did I say anything negative about the engine aside from sound? I've consistently said I loved the QVs drive/ overall noticeably stronger acceleration pull, obviously the engine has a lot to do with that.
Yes I've driven the QV twice and one of those times was able to get in some good time with it. I never said you said anything negative. You were comparing the stock F8X exhaust sound (which doesn't sound good at all) to the QV which has gotten raves about it's exhaust sound and how it's Ferrari like. Yes it's your opinion but if we were to do a poll asking that same question you would be in the minute minority so in the end would show/prove your opinion isn't really valid.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #644
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes I've driven the QV twice and one of those times was able to get in some good time with it. I never said you said anything negative. You were comparing the stock F8X exhaust sound (which doesn't sound good at all) to the QV which has gotten raves about it's exhaust sound and how it's Ferrari like. Yes it's your opinion but if we were to do a poll asking that same question you would be in the minute minority so in the end would show/prove your opinion isn't really valid.
Good for them and the poll. The only opinion that matters is mine in this case. I didn’t like it.
Appreciate 1
dkhm31880.50
      10-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #645
M3GymNut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Good for them and the poll. The only opinion that matters is mine in this case. I didn’t like it.
You already stated that. In this case your opinion is not the only one that matters cause there's also mine which has more validity.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #646
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You already stated that. In this case your opinion is not the only one that matters cause there's also mine which has more validity.
Agreed, and as stated I don’t know how many times..........I’m the one driving/buying the car so even if I’m in the minority of said mythical poll it doesn’t change my opinion. Nor does the majority of reviews about the sound.

You like it and don’t think it sounds like an M3/4 along with the majority, great.

Neither has more validity than the other when it comes down to a personal like or dislike. People will choose for themselves on the topic. It’s a great car with an awesome engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #647
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
In person, not even close. Loved my M3, but stock it sounded like a lawnmower. An MPE later, and the Alfa still sounds night and day better. You have to experience it in person, underload, and driven in Race Mode. Though this is a pretty video rich review, the actual exhaust tone doesn’t quite transfer to video.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #648
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
In person, not even close. Loved my M3, but stock it sounded like a lawnmower. An MPE later, and the Alfa still sounds night and day better. You have to experience it in person, underload, and driven in Race Mode. Though this is a pretty video rich review, the actual exhaust tone doesn’t quite transfer to video.
I have and did, not sure why, but I think what I think about it. I find both cars to be very similar sounding.

Somewhat agree about the M3, I never got the lawnmower comments, but it was/is not a pleasant sound. The CP sport exhaust helps, but still not great IMO. I had the MPE on my current ZCP and didn't like that either. I replaced it with a AA midpipe/Remus axle back combo and I can finally say for the first time that I legitimately like how M3/4 sounds.

I think you know I had a GT350 before and I loved that sound as did a majority of people. But, even on the GT350 forum some people that it was too raspy or didn't like it. There are some here that love the stock M3/4 sound. They are in the minority and sometimes I am surprised by the opinions, but who are we to say what they should/shouldn't like? It is a very subjective/personal thing.

Also, a lot of people said the GT350 had a Ferrari like wail because of the FPC. And some say the QV has the Ferrari like wail, which does make more sense. But, I disagree with both and just don't hear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #649
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
I have and did, not sure why, but I think what I think about it. I find both cars to be very similar sounding.

Somewhat agree about the M3, I never got the lawnmower comments, but it was/is not a pleasant sound. The CP sport exhaust helps, but still not great IMO. I had the MPE on my current ZCP and didn't like that either. I replaced it with a AA midpipe/Remus axle back combo and I can finally say for the first time that I legitimately like how M3/4 sounds.

I think you know I had a GT350 before and I loved that sound as did a majority of people. But, even on the GT350 forum some people that it was too raspy or didn't like it. There are some here that love the stock M3/4 sound. They are in the minority and sometimes I am surprised by the opinions, but who are we to say what they should/shouldn't like? It is a very subjective/personal thing.

Also, a lot of people said the GT350 had a Ferrari like wail because of the FPC. And some say the QV has the Ferrari like wail, which does make more sense. But, I disagree with both and just don't hear it.
First off, the Remus does sound pretty good. Nice setup. I went MPE just to stay stock-ish, but I also preferred the M CF tail pipes better, but that was my opinion. When I had them both in my garage and would drive them back to back everyday for about 6-8 weeks, even with the MPE, the S55 was louder, but not better sounding...nor even close in tone to the Alfa. The Alfa has a more exotic tone, but then again, Italians do exhaust notes better than anyone...and that’s not just opinion, but incontrovertible fact...lol. Although, the English are a close second.

It’s very unfortunate that most German cars have a very contrived exhaust note, synthetic sound devices, and programmed farty over run sounds tuned into them. The last good sounding German cars were the 6.2L AMGs, E90, 10 Cylinder M5 and Audi R8 V10, otherwise, not exactly inspiring in the sound department. Pity!

BTW...the GT350 sounds amazing. Not surprised most traditional Mustang guys would not like it, but the FPC engine really makes that car. Why’d you get rid of yours?

Last edited by mcc3456; 10-24-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #650
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
First off, the Remus does sound pretty good. Nice setup. I went MPE just to stay stock-ish, but I also preferred the M CF tail pipes better, but that was my opinion. When I had them both in my garage and would drive them back to back everyday for about 6-8 weeks, even with the MPE, the S55 was louder, but not better sounding...nor even close in tone to the Alfa. The Alfa has a more exotic tone, but then again, Italians do exhaust notes better than anyone...and that’s not just opinion, but incontrovertible fact...lol. Although, the English are a close second.

It’s very unfortunate that most German cars have a very contrived exhaust note, synthetic sound devices, and programmed farty over run sounds tuned into them. The last good sounding German cars were the 6.2L AMGs, E90, 10 Cylinder M5 and Audi R8 V10, otherwise, not exactly inspiring in the sound department. Pity!

BTW...the GT350 sounds amazing. Not surprised most traditional Mustang guys would not like it, but the FPC engine really makes that car. Why’d you get rid of yours?
The GT350 was probably my favorite car of all time and I’d still love to have it. Looooooooong stories short, my first one (16) was essentially unofficially bought back/trade assisted after a lot of issues that ended up with an engine replacement. I got a couple of years out of my 17, but this last summer it went downhill fast and was heading for another engine replacement. I’d had enough and dumped it. Hence looking at the QV (and a few other cars) at the end of the summer.

I wish it was built by somebody else besides Ford. Here is a few of the issues I had besides the engines etc. 1/2 of the panels were misaligned on both cars...............and that is barely an exaggeration. The 16 needed to go to the dealers body shop to align the drivers door and fix a hole in the back windshield weather stripping that was leaking onto the rear seat. If you get a GT350 be prepared to check the oil at least twice a week and I’m not kidding. That got old quickly. Any way enough .

Fair or not that is part of the reason why I shyed away from the first round of the QV/ARs return to the US. I know BMW isn’t perfect, but the M3/4 have been pretty reliable and I know what I’m getting from them and my dealer etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #651
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Dude its true the Alfa is better I owned the 2016 standard M4 and currently 2018 M4 ZCP the Alfa is just louder and raw!

do you think it is just a matter of an exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #652
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Dude its true the Alfa is better I owned the 2016 standard M4 and currently 2018 M4 ZCP the Alfa is just louder and raw!

do you think it is just a matter of an exhaust?
I watched most of your video (not bad by the way), but it sounded the way I remember it from my test drives.

My take on it. Similar tones up through the rev range etc. Shifting, quick tight fart for both. Lift of throttle messy fart crackle pop pop fart. Over all volume and at the highest pitch may be a bit more different, but going through the usual DD ranges not so much IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #653
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I watched most of your video (not bad by the way), but it sounded the way I remember it from my test drives.

My take on it. Similar tones up through the rev range etc. Shifting, quick tight fart for both. Lift of throttle messy fart crackle pop pop fart. Over all volume and at the highest pitch may be a bit more different, but going through the usual DD ranges not so much IMO.
Thanks they do sound similar but I still insist that the Alfa is louder and deeper. the C43 AMG sounds good too, You know I will make a video soon comparing all this back to back and we will see how it compares from there
Appreciate 2
minn1914021.00
CanAutM321115.00