GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #45
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Ok enjoy your car 👍
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #46
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ok enjoy your car 👍
This is why I just said “yes.” People who ask this question almost always do what they want any way so there is really no point in saying anything else. Although, OP does seem to be genuinely a bit worried about the maintenance/surprise repair bills.

The why 08 happened comments are over the top though IMO.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #47
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Although, OP does seem to be genuinely a bit worried about the maintenance/surprise repair bills..
I mean, doesn’t everyone have this on their mind with off warranty German sports cars?

I was going to suggest 987 S to get a lower purchase price and still fun car. (Those 2 seater types are the ones to get before family, OP) but like you said, OP in these posts have already made up their mind.

Was probably looking for more posts extolling virtues of f80 instead of financial management lecture. Haha
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
GERMAN M34181.00
      06-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #48
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Op....not trying to lecture, just trying to get an idea of your current situation. There are a lot of variables to your original question.

I guess it’s just a generational thing as I see a lot of young professionals who choose an expensive flashy car and living at home over a modest car and living on their own.

But hey it’s your life your money, I say stick with the M3
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #49
RDJ20
RJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower95 View Post
Hi all, first off hope this is the right place to post this if not please move this as appropriate. Will make this short as I can.

Background: been dreaming about f80 since high school. Graduated college in 2017 and been working for 2 years. Finally pulled the trigger on a brand new 2018 f80 AW/SO with Zec back in September. Love this car and I'm really attached to it. Just got done putting brand new MPE 3K miles ago and have some other cosmetic mods on it. I've had it for about 9 months and have 13K miles on the odometer. Car is valued 56-60k.

Today: my dad got one of those scratch off marketing cards from a dealer and he went to claim his gift card and then it happened. He sent a pic of a black 2013 Porsche carrera 4s only 22K miles and price of 69K. I went to see it and dealer offered to buy my M3 back at 56K and they will match my current finance payment for the M3. They would handle all fees and I would just need to cover tax, which can be rolled in to payment. Would be looking at a payment of $1350 which is about $50 more than I pay now. Could be a bit less depending on what rates I get if they run my credit. This 4S is insaneeeeee. Absolutely beautiful and let me not get started on how thick the back is!! I'm just a bit weary because it's had 4 owners and 3rd had it for 28 days and 4th for 8 months. Seems like a red flag despite a clean Carfax right???? And my f80 still has warranty for 3 years/23K. Also trading my 2018 for a 2013, but like PORSCHE Carrera 4S!!! this would be my daily and idc about losing the back seats, I'm very young and single/no kids so no issues there. Just looking for some tips/suggestions if this is a rational switch. Any help is appreciated I'm just so confused right now and don't want to make a mistake I'll end up regretting (especially if the car turns out to have problems).
Keep the M3!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #50
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Seeing how most others are lecturing, and you seem to be adverse to it, I'll jump in now...

It sounds like your parents did a poor job in this respect...allowing a novice driver child (23 y/o- but the actions you describe: childish) to purchase a $70k car with yesteryear super car capabilities, while living in their house rent free- is just plain irresponsible and negligent.

An M3 is for experienced 'grownups', and you're not one based on your statements. You're a kid with a college degree, and apparently an ungrateful one at that. You should be in a lesser car than either that you mentioned, and helping your parents out with bills- not being a moocher to fulfill your 'life dreams' lol...wow, kids these days..
Appreciate 2
Arcades8162.00
minn1914012.00
      06-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #51
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

I remember threads like this on E46 forums. Then on E90 forums. It gets worse as the cars become more affordable.

Whatever dude. Spend your money how you like. You shouldn’t care what others have to say. I got my first M3 at 25 in ‘08 and I would have 10x its value if I put that money in stock during the crash. I still saved a lot and had no regrets. Do what makes you happy.

But if you don’t want others commenting on your financial decisions then why give all the extra detail? If the core question is M3 or 991.14S with same payment then just leave money and age and “living with parents” out and ask that. Are you asking which is a better car? Or are you asking if you’re being a dummy with money?

One concern I have is this doesn’t seem like ‘a dream car’ worth a huge payment if you are willing to trade her in for the next slutty deal on a 6 year old beetle with a sporty engine.
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-29-2019, 11:50 PM   #52
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Next thread...

"I'm 16, just got my license, should I get ZCP or not if my parents will only pay for base?!"
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #53
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
I remember threads like this on E46 forums. Then on E90 forums. It gets worse as the cars become more affordable.

Whatever dude. Spend your money how you like. You shouldn't care what others have to say. I got my first M3 at 25 in '08 and I would have 10x its value if I put that money in stock during the crash. I still saved a lot and had no regrets. Do what makes you happy.

But if you don't want others commenting on your financial decisions then why give all the extra detail? If the core question is M3 or 991.14S with same payment then just leave money and age and "living with parents" out and ask that. Are you asking which is a better car? Or are you asking if you're being a dummy with money?

One concern I have is this doesn't seem like 'a dream car' worth a huge payment if you are willing to trade her in for the next slutty deal on a 6 year old beetle with a sporty engine.
6 year old beetle with a sporty engine

Good one
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:03 AM   #54
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
I've got a 14' cayenne with the same infotainment and it connects with my phone better than my 18' ZCP...
I use CarPlay and a modern iPhone in the f80. It doesn’t compare to the 5+ yr old Porsche system. Porsche infotainment looks and works like it’s from a decade ago. Looks like it’s running On MS DOS.

Many 991.1 are missing some pretty basic options like:
- CarPlay not available at all
- many don’t have keyless entry (you gotta insert and turn the key like a peasant)
- many/most don’t have rear camera

I almost got the GTS. modern options and infotainment is not its strength.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:13 AM   #55
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
Seeing how most others are lecturing, and you seem to be adverse to it, I'll jump in now...

It sounds like your parents did a poor job in this respect...allowing a novice driver child (23 y/o- but the actions you describe: childish) to purchase a $70k car with yesteryear super car capabilities, while living in their house rent free- is just plain irresponsible and negligent.

An M3 is for experienced 'grownups', and you're not one based on your statements. You're a kid with a college degree, and apparently an ungrateful one at that. You should be in a lesser car than either that you mentioned, and helping your parents out with bills- not being a moocher to fulfill your 'life dreams' lol...wow, kids these days..
Everyone's different sorry to make you wake up it's 2019 brother.

I help pay some of my parents bills, I'm sorry I didn't address that part of my life to you in my post.

Please don't act like a f80 is a super car that I can't handle. Yes it's a high torque rwd car but I drive it responsibly.

I'm anything but ungrateful especially to my family and friends - crazy how quick you judge and come to conclusions from one thread? People like you is why the world is such a messed up place today. GET WITH THE TIMES- it's a new generation. Things/priorities change.

Your life must be very boring to have to try to shame some kid for something he enjoys, pathetic.

To everyone else, thanks again for all your inputs. I definitely messed up putting so much detail into the post. Should have just been 2018 f80 vs 2013 Carrera 4S. Lesson learned though. Just gonna keep enjoying my car now. NGL the Porsche did catch me off guard which is why I hesitated for a bit but I'm over it. And that's the last you'll see of me on this thread.

To everyone who actually answered my question: thanks again you guys are the real MVPs
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #56
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post

Everyone's different sorry to make you wake up it's 2019 brother.

I help pay some of my parents bills, I'm sorry I didn't address that part of my life to you in my post.

Please don't act like a f80 is a super car that I can't handle. Yes it's a high torque rwd car but I drive it responsibly.

I'm anything but ungrateful especially to my family and friends - crazy how quick you judge and come to conclusions from one thread? People like you is why the world is such a messed up place today. GET WITH THE TIMES- it's a new generation. Things/priorities change.

Your life must be very boring to have to try to shame some kid for something he enjoys, pathetic.

To everyone else, thanks again for all your inputs. I definitely messed up putting so much detail into the post. Should have just been 2018 f80 vs 2013 Carrera 4S. Lesson learned though. Just gonna keep enjoying my car now. NGL the Porsche did catch me off guard which is why I hesitated for a bit but I'm over it. And that's the last you'll see of me on this thread.

To everyone who actually answered my question: thanks again you guys are the real MVPs
While the comments are a bit direct/harsh I don't think anyone here is trying to shame you. We were all young once and would have loved to been driving a brand new expensive German sports car. But those of us well beyond 23 know the challenges life can present as you get older and that poor financial/life decisions become harder to reverse.

But you have made it clear that you are living the life the way you want and no internet strangers will get in the way of that. Perhaps one day you will look back on this thread and think man those guys were right I wish I didn't blow so much money on a car. Or maybe you will be laughing it off on your private jet about how how all is idiots doubted you.
Appreciate 2
jninja514.50
osukf0964.00
      06-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #57
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
I've got a 14' cayenne with the same infotainment and it connects with my phone better than my 18' ZCP...
I use CarPlay and a modern iPhone in the f80. It doesn't compare to the 5+ yr old Porsche system. Porsche infotainment looks and works like it's from a decade ago. Looks like it's running On MS DOS.

Many 991.1 are missing some pretty basic options like:
- CarPlay not available at all
- many don't have keyless entry (you gotta insert and turn the key like a peasant)
- many/most don't have rear camera

I almost got the GTS. modern options and infotainment is not its strength.
I think I need to install CarPlay. My iPhone is a few generations old could also be the problem.

Personally if my wife allowed me to get a GTS it could have a tape player in it for all I care haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #58
Payamm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

Guys, this is a car forum! Buying an expensive depreciating asset is never a good idea. So let's not pretend we're all driving a 1999 accord!
Out of college these days is not what it used to be. In my area, fresh out of college kids sometimes make more money then their experienced peers due to their negotiation skills, job market and etc. so $1300 a month might not be a big deal to OP and by the time he is 25-26, he has a paid off f80!

Good luck OP. Personally I would keep the F80 than get a used car with 4 previous owners.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #59
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

What ever happened to the good 'ol American dream of spending 8 more years in school after college and racking up half a mil in debt?
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      06-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #60
325iExecutive
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mazda CX5

Hard no - you are going into an older car and getting stuck with out of warranty expenses plus wear n tear that is common on older vehicles.

I would pass and stick with the newer vehicle
      06-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #61
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I would get a GT2 RS
Appreciate 3
gatorfast4991.50
minn1914012.00
yayaya103.50
      07-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #62
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:

I'm 23 and single so I've got my whole life to think about a house. If I
Yikes, and then seeing your spending habits you'll be paying for an overpriced rental as well and paying someone else's mortgage

Buying a house at 25 was the best thing I did, I'm 27 now and it has gone up 50k in value
Appreciate 0