Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #23
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
Absolutely! Also, remember the car comes standard with $10K worth of brakes.

Now what's going to happen when GM unveils the C7 Z06 in a week? With a supercharged 6.2 liter V8, 3300 lbs, and 625 HP? Will we see "M4 vs C7 Z06" threads?

Pat
that new vette is going to smoke anything in its path. while also sounding like the monster it IS.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #24
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
that new vette is going to smoke anything in its path. while also sounding like the monster it IS.
That Z06 s going to be quite an interesting vehicle. Looking gorward to checking it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
Great work on Chevrolet's part for building this thing, but nothing about an 80,000 dollar Camaro entices me.

If the value behind this thing is purely as a track toy, then I'll take an Ariel Atom. Those start at under 60 grand USD, and--while there is a waiting list for new ones--they can be found for even less used.
I was just trying to put things into perspective. It isn't just any Camaro, I don't think that its name devalues the insane performance. That's like calling an M3 just a 3 series and dismissing its performance merits. You can spec a Cayman S to $80k or a base 911 non S to $100k. Fully loaded E9X M3s bordered $80k. None of those cars are faster than the Z/28. If we are talking performance per dollar, there aren't many new cars, that come with windshields at least, that rival the Z/28 at its price point.
...and good work putting it into perspective, but that doesn't change my point that an 80,000 track toy with the heaviness and poor visibility of a Camaro doesn't interest me.

My point was never the "name" of the vehicle, and I never disputed it's performance potential. Based on that 'Ring time alone, it's pretty certain this thing will be incredibly quick! With that said, however, it seems the only merit to this vehicle (based on what people have been focusing on in this thread) is outright track performance.

An 80,000 dollar M3 is an acceptable cost for me because--aside from being a great overall performer and even a useable track performer--it provides some decent degree of luxury and convenience.

As I said before, though, if my 80,000 dollars is going purely into a track toy, I'd rather have an Ariel Atom.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #26
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Exactly, that's the point.

The ZL1, as noted in the article, is $20k cheaper and has more power and more features.

This is a ready to roll track car that happens to be street legal.
So is the Z06 and that car would absolutely decimate this one around a track....for less money.

This Camaro Z28 makes no sense, it's Chevrolet tipping their hat to car collectors. The Camaro is, by design, a concession of performance for the sake of rear seats. It's much heavier than a Corvette. Even this Z28 is heavier than a regular Corvette. So why take the Z06 engine and Z06/ZR1 suspension technology and put them in a car that is fundamentally heavier and less athletic than the C6 Corvette? JUST GET THE Z06!

And this is to say nothing of the new C7 Z06 which will probably smoke anything for under $200k for half that price.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #27
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Depends on what you are looking for. For a finely tuned track machine that comes ready to play out of the box....Z/28 for sure. That thing dominated a whole lot of cars on the nurburgring that are easily worth 2x or 3x as much.

For a refined, daily driver and occasional tracker, the M4 makes more sense.

That being said, if I was looking to buy a new car now, I'd wait until the new mustang came out before I decided. With its new IRS and possibly newer engines down the line, that thing may potentially trump the camaro in handling.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #28
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

+1

Performance/power wise I think Z28 will take the cake. The luxury wise it would be M4. Both are different a Z28 is more hardcore. If BMW ever made a more hardcore M4 which will probably happen towards the end of its cycle. The prices will be well north of $100K as usual. Just take a look at E92 M3 GTS well over 100K.

As far as me I will pass on both M4 and Z28......make mine a C7 stingray with Z51 pkg well equipped for $57K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
Guys, different strokes for different folks, no need to diss!

Same arguement can be had for the GTR, all plastic interior for $100k+ is ridiculous in my book but many will pay. I love all cars and appreciate them though I probably won't write the check.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #29
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
...and good work putting it into perspective, but that doesn't change my point that an 80,000 track toy with the heaviness and poor visibility of a Camaro doesn't interest me.

My point was never the "name" of the vehicle, and I never disputed it's performance potential. Based on that 'Ring time alone, it's pretty certain this thing will be incredibly quick! With that said, however, it seems the only merit to this vehicle (based on what people have been focusing on in this thread) is outright track performance.

An 80,000 dollar M3 is an acceptable cost for me because--aside from being a great overall performer and even a useable track performer--it provides some decent degree of luxury and convenience.

As I said before, though, if my 80,000 dollars is going purely into a track toy, I'd rather have an Ariel Atom.
Fair enough, I had assumed you were writing off the car based on the name. I do agree, the Z/28 is still hilariously heavy for a track car, I'm not sure how long those tires would last at a track day. I still don't know whether GM intended for the Z/28 as exclusively a track car, or both a good road car and track car like their C7. It comes down to how refined it is on the street. Guess we'll never know because I doubt they allow test drives on such a limited car.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #30
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
It would be great to see BMW do a car like this. It makes the 2 series M look like a joke.
It already makes any BMW look like a bit of a joke. It's a shame BMW didn't bring back the M3 CSL with the E92/E90.
      01-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
+1

Performance/power wise I think Z28 will take the cake. The luxury wise it would be M4. Both are different a Z28 is more hardcore. If BMW ever made a more hardcore M4 which will probably happen towards the end of its cycle. The prices will be well north of $100K as usual. Just take a look at E92 M3 GTS well over 100K.

As far as me I will pass on both M4 and Z28......make mine a C7 stingray with Z51 pkg well equipped for $57K.
I need to look at the C7 again then. When I looked decently equipped it was hitting closer to $70k than $50k.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I need to look at the C7 again then. When I looked decently equipped it was hitting closer to $70k than $50k.
it is. you cant get well equiped c7 for under 60k. i still havnt seen one on the road.. very curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #33
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
it is. you cant get well equiped c7 for under 60k. i still havnt seen one on the road.. very curious.
Just played with the configuration tool and the mid tier package without nav or magnetic suspension or perf exhaust is right at $60k. Packaged the way I'd want it hit $65k and that's without the dual roof, painted calipers, or the expensive seats. Looks like the check every box option would eclipse $70k.

In my opinion modestly equipped would price at $60k.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
I do agree, the Z/28 is still hilariously heavy for a track car, I'm not sure how long those tires would last at a track day. I still don't know whether GM intended for the Z/28 as exclusively a track car, or both a good road car and track car like their C7. It comes down to how refined it is on the street. Guess we'll never know because I doubt they allow test drives on such a limited car.
Yeah it's heavy compared to other track cars, but at around 3,800lb's it's not far off from some other top performers like the nissan gtr (a total different level of performance and it has awd, but still).

This thing is definitely intended to be a track toy. That's why articles and early press releases have noted some things like a/c and high quality stereo being optional. That said, the recent generation of camaro's, like the zl1, have been noted amongst the muscle cars for being very usable as daily drivers: smooth shifting at lower speeds (which some have claimed as a problem with the gt500), not as noisy for normal cruising, steering/handling much more manageable, ect.

There haven't been any official reviews of the z/28, but it will likely maintain some of this daily driving functionality. Jay Leno also did a test drive:

http://youtu.be/gc-T--DI0qQ
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #35
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
So why take the Z06 engine and Z06/ZR1 suspension technology and put them in a car that is fundamentally heavier and less athletic than the C6 Corvette? JUST GET THE Z06!

And this is to say nothing of the new C7 Z06 which will probably smoke anything for under $200k for half that price.
because people WILL buy this car. your would be surprised how many people actually prefer camaros over vettes. people love the idea of a LS7 in a camaro body.

and people will also buy the new Z06.

there are to many people that want different stuff and have different styles etc.....
Appreciate 0