Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-05-2024, 11:10 PM   #26291
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
My N54 135i was still one of my favorite cars ever
I had one, 6MT with Cobb Stage 2+, FMIC, all the fun stuff. Was a little rocket off the line, and such a great little car. Boy I got tired of changing spark plugs though.
Appreciate 3
icegrill2079.50
minn1914061.50
swagon13536.00
      Today, 03:29 PM   #26292
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I had one, 6MT with Cobb Stage 2+, FMIC, all the fun stuff. Was a little rocket off the line, and such a great little car. Boy I got tired of changing spark plugs though.
We still have one actually, 11 years later...

6MT with Active Steering; all stock except suspension, which is now a bit toast and I'm going to do a big service on the engine and suspension soon. Will run it for a year or so and then probably get rid of it to put my mum into something more sensible.

Anytime I step on it just a bit, the cabin fills with this classically BMW-like deep and smooth tone of the engine and exhaust that even the M3 doesn't manage since its exhaust overrides the engine. It's very pleasant to cruise in, but falls apart when pushed on - the very soft subframe bushings, lack of camber and LSD really bring the car down. I wish I'd done more to the car, but considering it has spent the last several years pootling around town, it doesn't matter now.

But with the E92, it was the last of the true old-style BMW coupes of yesteryear that, I think, we all grew up loving. Also was our first true fast car, first car with more than four cylinders, etc. So it's got a place in my heart - like all the few other BMWs we have collected with my father in the past 15 years, who's now unfortunately very ill.