proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #23
caacosta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Yes purple. Didnt really push the car as i need an alignment. It feels like stock so far.
Stock? I was hoping to hear an improvement over stock. May have to either go turner or pf black
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #24
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caacosta View Post
Stock? I was hoping to hear an improvement over stock. May have to either go turner or pf black
Yes. Just like when the car is brand new. The purple pf bushings are only slightly stiffer than the stock bushings but poly is much more durable. What type of improvement are you trying to achieve? The harder the bushing, the more solid the rear end should feel at the cost of NVH. If you want stock NVH but a more solid rearend, i would do turner bracket and pf purple like RSXDC5 did. I would assume going with pf black is as stiff or stiffer than going with pf purple and turner bracket but dont quote me on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #25
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

From powerflex-

"The OE bushings are typically about 50-55A Shore, so yes the street versions are about 20-25% stiffer than the OE parts.

The Black series bushings can certainly cause some additional vibration and harshness especially with differential bushings."

I have the turner dual bracket and street powerflex going in this week.
Appreciate 1
m2cWW67.00
      06-07-2020, 03:27 AM   #26
rborane
Captain
Rep

Bumping this back up as I've had the Powerflex Street (purple) diff bushings (front and rear position) installed for a week, with the turner dual rear mount plate. The rear of the car feels a lot better, DCT shifts are crisper and smoother, and throttle is more direct.

One thing I am noticing is a loud clunk that is audible when I am driving and lightly tap the gas pedal on and off with just enough pressure to send a bit of load, but not enough pressure to where the car surges forward. I found that I can replicate it easy in 3rd around 25mph and 5th at 45 mph. Any faster and the clunk noise is less audible. It is less audible in efficient (auto mode as well, but still there).

Shop reviewed everything and all looks good, trans mounts look good, car is in good shape. What can the noise be? I went with the street bushings to minimize NVH, but could they still be the cause or anyone have any idea what the clunk noise is when i go on and off the pedal lightly?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #27
elite53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Bumping this back up as I've had the Powerflex Street (purple) diff bushings (front and rear position) installed for a week, with the turner dual rear mount plate. The rear of the car feels a lot better, DCT shifts are crisper and smoother, and throttle is more direct.

One thing I am noticing is a loud clunk that is audible when I am driving and lightly tap the gas pedal on and off with just enough pressure to send a bit of load, but not enough pressure to where the car surges forward. I found that I can replicate it easy in 3rd around 25mph and 5th at 45 mph. Any faster and the clunk noise is less audible. It is less audible in efficient (auto mode as well, but still there).

Shop reviewed everything and all looks good, trans mounts look good, car is in good shape. What can the noise be? I went with the street bushings to minimize NVH, but could they still be the cause or anyone have any idea what the clunk noise is when i go on and off the pedal lightly?
I read a post a while back where a guy was describing something similar and he said it turned out to be the large nut that connects the driveshaft to the diff. Apparently if it's not torqued properly that it will cause a clunking in the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #28
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
I read a post a while back where a guy was describing something similar and he said it turned out to be the large nut that connects the driveshaft to the diff. Apparently if it's not torqued properly that it will cause a clunking in the rear end.
Any way you remember where that was? That would be a huge help. The car drives fine, but the noise definitely is not normal and I would love to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #29
rborane
Captain
Rep

@hC1001 is your car DCT? Can you read my post above and tell me if you notice anything similar on your car with the powerflex street bushings?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:27 AM   #30
elite53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Any way you remember where that was? That would be a huge help. The car drives fine, but the noise definitely is not normal and I would love to fix it.
I wish I could remember where I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was on this forum tho. Sorry.
Appreciate 1
rborane241.00
      07-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #31
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
@hC1001 is your car DCT? Can you read my post above and tell me if you notice anything similar on your car with the powerflex street bushings?
No, its a manual and i dont have any clunking. I replaced the bushings myself and i specifically didnt want to remove the driveshaft nut or the half shafts from the diff. BMW really emphasized the importance of correctly installing the driveshaft back by replacing the driveshaft nut and using specific threadlocker and also giving it a curing time before using the car again. Theres nothing difficult about it tho, just have to follow the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:19 AM   #32
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

What kind of driving are you guys doing that’s causing the stock bushing to fail? Hard launches? Drag racing? Road racing? Just curious, since it appears to be a lot of work to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #33
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
What kind of driving are you guys doing that’s causing the stock bushing to fail? Hard launches? Drag racing? Road racing? Just curious, since it appears to be a lot of work to replace it.
It depends on if you have the v1 or v2 oem rear diff bushing. V1 is fluid filled and prone to cracking by 20k miles even, v2 is poly
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      07-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #34
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:

I had them . The Purple ones And also i had on low speed clunking noise from my dct. Why because that bushings are less soften then The oem ones. I was driving with clunking noise for couple months Then i decided to get back for oem
And most clunking goes away but still have something
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #35
MT0Y
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M4(current), E90 M3, E46 M3

Noob question.. process of elimination for my issue.
What is the signs and symptoms of these particular bushings needing to be replaced.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:13 AM   #36
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT0Y View Post
Noob question.. process of elimination for my issue.
What is the signs and symptoms of these particular bushings needing to be replaced.

Thanks in advance
I actually didnt have any symptoms. I visually checked the rear bushing and it was torn. I actually thought it was torn in two places but it was one big tear after removing the bolt. All the front bushings were still good but they are very soft and probably wouldnt tear. i replaced those with PF bushings as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:20 AM   #37
MT0Y
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M4(current), E90 M3, E46 M3

Thank you again.. will get under it later and have a squizz
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #38
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
It depends on if you have the v1 or v2 oem rear diff bushing. V1 is fluid filled and prone to cracking by 20k miles even, v2 is poly
How do I find out which one I have?
      08-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #39
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
How do I find out which one I have?
The pic two post up is v1. v2 is very different.

Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      06-27-2021, 02:19 AM   #40
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Any update to the clunking issue with using Powerflex purple bushings? I’d rather use a stiffer bushing and deal with the constant diff noise than to use a softer bushing and have a clunking sound every time I accelerate haha
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:25 AM   #41
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Any update to the clunking issue with using Powerflex purple bushings? I'd rather use a stiffer bushing and deal with the constant diff noise than to use a softer bushing and have a clunking sound every time I accelerate haha
I still get the clunk, but mine is DCT so that may have something to do with it with the diff. I have a buddy with the same bushings and bracket but 6MT with no clunk . That's why I am curious how the ECS are, to see if the clunk goes away
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2891.00
      06-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #42
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Any update to the clunking issue with using Powerflex purple bushings? I’d rather use a stiffer bushing and deal with the constant diff noise than to use a softer bushing and have a clunking sound every time I accelerate haha
I dont get any clunks but i am 6 spd manual...
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2891.00